I'm forced to conclude, then, that you believe everything about the pre-Columbian Americas has been discovered . . . that there is nothing more to be learned about that era. I raised the question before, but it merits repeating: If we already know everything about the PC Americas, why are numerous digs taking place in the relevant countries? Could it be that, contrary to your insistence, we don't know all there is to know about the PC Americas?
This is remarkably dishonest, even for you. Especially since you have played this card before, even recently,and had the fundamental dishonesty of the gambit pointed out to you.
Do yourself, and the shards of your pretensions to being taken seriously, a favor; read what I have written. Read my actual statements, which I have been making for nearly two years.
I have said:
You have yet to provide the least minim of evidence for a culture that "covered the land" for "thousands of years", cultivatng barley and wheat, and kine and swine, and the horse; and making steel.Without evidence, your exciting stories from the BoM are, in fact, superstitions, and your devotion to them is, in fact, uncritical.
As with the BoA, etc.
You fail to provide evidence, you wish me to purchase your invisible pig in a non-existent poke; and when I insist upon evidence you dare call my mind closed?
Consider Russell; consider Bacon; consider the first steps of reason.
and,
You continue to tell this lie. Aren't you subject to club rules about lying?
The fact is that there is no reliable evidence, none at all, of any horse culture in the pre-colombian americas. If there were, in fact, evidence, it would have been presented. The same holds for the other BoM anachronisms.
I ask again:
When was it that the exciting events of the BoM (particularly the bits that "took place" in the pre-colombian americas) are to be supposed to have happened?
Where in the pre-colombian americas are the exciting stories to be supposed to have happened?
and, to go back a bit:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=8911571#post8911571
For the record, notice that I have asked you for evidence of the fabulous civilizations described in the exciting stories that are to be supposed to have taken place as described in the
BoM. At no point have I claimed to know "everything there is to know" about the pre-colombian americas. I have said, and continue to say, that no evidence for the existence of a culture "covering the land" for "thousands of years", and incorporating the wheel and the horse to the point of using them in battle, and cultivating
Hordeum sativa to the point that the value of a barleycorn could be reasonably taken to have been used as the basis of minted currency, and possessing an autochtonous steelmaking industry, in the pre-colombian americas, has been presented for scrutiny and review.
I have invited you to make me aware of such evidence, and you have offered up (for instance) the Spencer Lake Horse Hoax, the gleaning of
H. pusillum at one Hohokam site, and the evidence that some NA plains tribes had adopted the horse by the "amazingly early" date of 1600 or so. That, and the alternative suggestion that your 'god' cannot tell a horse form a tapir, etc.
What you have not offered is a single skerrick of actual, practical, empirical, testable, objective, pragmatic evidence of the suite of things claimed for the fabulous civilizations to be supposed to have existed "for thousands of years".
You have obviously completely gone up on my childhood reasons to be fascinated with the subject, and the reasons I would be delighted to have evidence that horse culture pre-dated the Colombian Exchange. I will not,however, settle for the pie-in-the-sky
hope that such evidence has just been "overlooked", or "may yet be found". As things stand, there simply is no evidence--and, if we can, for instance, produce and examine evidence of a settlement of 10 families living in an isolated
cañon for a few hundred years, one wonders why no evidence has been found of a civilization that "covered the land" for "thousands of years" has yet to be found.
I, for one, would appreciate it if you would not repeat the lie that I claim to know "everything there is to know" about the pre-colombian americas. Why not spend that energy marshaling, and presenting, evidence?
You could start with simply answering a question I have patiently repeated:
Where in the pre-colombian americas are the exciting stories in the
BoM to be supposed to have taken place?
When are the exciting stories in the
BoM (particularly the american chapters) to be supposed to have taken place?
Science has been wrong about important issues in the past, and it's likely they are wrong about some important issues even as you read this. Note:
Scientific Facts That Have Changed Since you were in Grade School
elitedaily.com/life/8-surprising-scientific-facts-changed-since-grade-school
Let's see:
How does the fact that the
definition of the term, "planet" has been modified to reflect the fact that Pluto is no longer considered a "planet" indicate that evidence of autochnotnous steelmaking in the pre-colombian americas will, someday, be found?
How does a quibble about
naming the "oceans" (when, in fact, the planet actually has only one ocean, divided into geoploitical areas for convenience), indicate that we have simply
overlooked evidence of the domestication of bovine kine throughout the pre-colombian americas?
What makes you think that the shape of maps has "changed", or that orthographic conventions alter reality? How did the invention of the Dymaxion Map (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_map) in 1943, or "Cahill's Butterfly" (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_J._S._Cahill) in 1909, change the fact that, apparently, either 'god', Moroni, or JS did not know north from east?
...I could go on, but I find it unlikely you will read even this far. Another time, perhaps.
An exercise for the student (or for you, if you want to play):
What caused each of the "Scientific Facts" listed to be "changed"?
Express your answer in a complete sentence...
Even Theories Change
(Link doesn't work. Enter "Even Theories Change" into your search engine, which will take you to Berkeley's home page. Then enter "Even Theories Change" in the home page search box.)
I think I have done enough of your homework for one night.
I encourage you, however, to consider
how even a theory gets "changed".
My father, a chemical engineer before he answered a call to the ministry, flew Martin PBMs for the USN in WWII. At the end of the war, he went back to school to finish his degree. In the same room in which he had taken Physical Chemistry
before the War, the same professor he had had started his first post-war lecture with, "Gentlemen, tear up your notes--we were wrong." Do you suppose the professor (Dr. Gruene, if I recall) changed his mind at the prompting of superstition, or was something
else involved? (HINT: see the answer to the exercise above.)
As the record shows (I could have posted more links), science is fallible, though given sufficient time, it eventually corrects itself. It's obvious that you are unwilling to grant that time; hence, in that context, it's fair to say your mind is closed. It seems to me your position is anti-science. Despite extensive digs throughout the Americas, you insist there is nothing more to learn about the PC Americas. Why are all those archaeologists wasting their time and their sponsors' resources?
I say again, this is a remarkably dishonest pretense at characterizing my position. I ask again: what is always instrumental in properly changing a theory; in altering or amending our understanding?
That is why there are digs in the americas, and in the "holy land", why Antarctica is being explored; and why the human/neanderthal/denisovian genome continues to be investigated.
That is, in fact, why I teach high school science. There is an ever-expanding sphere of things to be learned, investigated, and understood--but to say that it is improper to assert that (for instance) an overunity drive cannot be built because one
might be developed in the future is to abandon the Baconian Project and embrace superstition.
I, for one, would appreciate it if you would not continue to employ this falsehood.
Perhaps you might answer the questions put to you, instead?