In your statements that follow, you studiously avoid quoting the language that is in the applicable Bible passages—language that indicates Paul's calling was anything but routine or standard.
True, there are no Apostle parallels, but such accounts of being "called" are common among modern pastors, especially among Evangelicals and Charismatics. Paul's "calling" is dramatic, but not that unusual in the larger context of Christendom.
They may claim to have received a "similar calling," but where does it appear in scripture?
I was speaking of modern pastors. I was raised Lutheran and pastors often spoke about when they "felt a calling" or "were called."
An undocumented "call to evangelism" is one thing; a specific, documented directive is another.
So what if Paul was "called?" You have yet to demonstrate that being called to preach means his epistles are of any greater value to Christians than the Talmud is to Jews.
There is nothing "standard" about it, unless you are willing to dismiss Paul's leadership role in taking the gospel of Jesus Christ to the gentiles.
You appear to be drawing a connection between how Paul was called and what the Bible and church tradition claim he eventually accomplished. There is no connection. Some of the apostles joined Christ simply because he told them he would make them fisher of men. Calling the beginning of a journey humble or mundane does not negate the nature of the subsequent journey.
I understand why you actually believe what you write above, but I won't "go there."
But "there" is the core theological issue of this discussion. The "there" you are refusing to approach goes straight to the core of if Paul's opinions about sex are binding upon modern Christians. If they ARE binding, then modern Christians are called upon to remain celibate unless they cannot control their lusts.
You trip over yourself here. Why has Paul's preaching been used as a model for other Christians?
The Bible and church tradition suggest he was a successful preacher, therefore it makes sense to emulate him.
What are you trying to imply by claiming am I tripping over myself?
It's "theologically desperate" only because it poses a cherry-picked challenge to your position.
How so? Please elaborate.
Where did you get the idea that I believe Paul was on the same level of Jesus?
Are you recanting the following comment?
Your conclusion strengthens my position while weakening yours, inasmuch as when "Paul spoke out against homosexuality," the words he used to respond to his accusers were given to him by the Holy Ghost.
If you are recanting, then a good deal of this discussion is rendered moot.
That's fine with me; note, however, that "most scholars" are not the same as all scholars.
So?
You'll never find 100% agreement upon something like that, because everyone has their own options about the value of various pieces of evidence. I highly recommend you take a look at the
Concordia Study Bible. The footnotes are exhaustive and fascinating. They delve into cultural context, translation variances and a variety of other topics.
All of the apostles were questionable characters—right?
I don't really see the point you're trying to make.
I haven't made any such claim. Moreover, inasmuch as you are positive that Paul never spoke against homosexuality, why does it matter to you?
I'm just enjoying a pleasant Biblical debate. I'm not really trying to "prove" anything, just exploring the scriptural and scholarly support for your claims.
The explanation is found by considering who issues "a commission to preach" and whether or not it is documented.
What's your point?
As I note at the outset of my response, you omit the passage about which you are commenting. Consequently, your comment is irrelevant on contextual ground.
I did not explicitly quote the text of Paul's calling because we are all already familiar with the story. Are you seriously suggesting that my posts are rendered irrelevant because I didn't quote a specific piece of scripture?
You can say that because you do not believe he was divinely commissioned.
We're not discussing what really happened, but what the texts claim happened and what authority the texts do and do not attribute to Paul.
To know what really happened we'd need additional sources other than the Bible itself.
Of course, but are they able to produce the requisite documentation?
What "documentation" does Paul produce that cannot be produced by any pastor who records the circumstances of their calling?
Not quite. Paul was commissioned by Jesus Christ to advance the cause of Christianity, particularly among the gentiles. Your strawman insistence that I believe Paul's words were "on par with those of Christ" is easy to see through.
...
I have never said (sigh) that his words are equal in authority to those of Christ. I have said--or at least implied--that there is reason to believe Christ was comfortable with them.
Again, are you recanting the following?
Your conclusion strengthens my position while weakening yours, inasmuch as when "Paul spoke out against homosexuality," the words he used to respond to his accusers were given to him by the Holy Ghost.
For the sake of clarifying what, exactly, we are discussing, what do you think is the relevance of Paul's epistles to modern Christians? Do you believe them to be as morally binding as the Gospels?
Why don't you make an educated guess?
You just copied and pasted the list of verses, didn't you?
And your training is, of course, infallible.
I make no such claim. The fact that I disagree with you and have the information and quotes to back up my views does not mean I consider myself infallible.