• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

LDS II: The Mormons

your rant about xianists and "amended scriptures" is difficult to take seriously.


Psssst. Newsflash. Actual Christians consider the book of Mormon to be pagan garbage. Same with all the nonsense in your "pearl of great price."

Your comment seems to imply that you think those documents are somehow considered scripture by both Christians and Mormons. They're not. Only Mormons consider those documents holy. I know Christians who deliberately included the book of Mormon and the pearl of great price in the bathroom with the Koran to use as toilet paper. Having read the book of Mormon and the pearl of great price I can't really say they were making a mistake.
 
You continue to commit the fallacy of Ignorantiam, argumentum ad, in which you use your lack of knowledge about something to imply that the opposite is the case. Madsen Pirie* puts it this way: "The fallacy consists of the intervention of irrelevant material, in the shape of our own ignorance, into an argument which is about something else." *Author, How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Logic, Continuum, 2007.

The fact that you know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not a club and its buildings are not clubhouses does not absolve you of having committed the fallacy. Consequently, your rant about xianists and "amended scriptures" is difficult to take seriously.

Does this mean that the fact that you know that atheists do not "choose" to "become faithless" will affect the misstatements you make?

Given that Webster's Random House Unabridged Dictionary, second edition (hereinafter WRHUD2) lists one of the definitions of "club" as, "...2. a group of persons organized for social, literary, athletic, political, or other purpose..." (p. 391, so you can find it); it is silly to argue that "club" is not an approptriate description for your sect (a word you have also objected to), you splinter faction, your cult, your sektebundt...

Not only that, as I am sure you are aware, whatever word I use to describe the Joeites (Smitheterians?) does not change the demonstrable fact that their idea of marriages in the afterworld is not derived from xianist scriptures; not from (literally) a jot nor a tiddle therein. The words attributed to Jesus (said to be said the be "the Christ" {thus the term "christian" for clubs said to be established by his word}) flatly contradict the idea of marriage after the resurrection; neither does the xianist bible support the idea in any way.

Wherever your postumklasche got the idea of "eternal marriage" (or for that matter, "pre-mortal existence") it is not derived from the xianist bible; it is only supported by the same silly texts from which we are supposed to accept the inclusion of what is supposed to be Abraham's autographic account of his time in Egypt in standard Egyptian funerary texts; and all the unsupported claims about the pre-colombian Americas.

--which should be the actual issue, in a thread titled "CHRISTIAN SCRIPTURES".

But I'll make a deal with you: I'll stop using the neutral term "club" for your mob, and apologize; if you will stop using the pejorative "choose to become faithless" for the realization that there is no reason to believe in 'god', a 'god', your 'god', not yet any 'gods', and apologize.

What do you say?
 
Last edited:
I'd dare to suggest that the idea of a pervert and con man discovering the revealed word of god on some gold plates with the aid of an angel, a magic hat and some rocks is far more difficult to take seriously than anything Slowvehicle has to say about the club Cult of LDS.
.
Yessir!!!! :)
 
I'd dare to suggest that the idea of a pervert and con man discovering the revealed word of god on some gold plates with the aid of an angel, a magic hat and some rocks is far more difficult to take seriously than anything Slowvehicle has to say about the club Cult of LDS.

The beginning of the church.

In Fawn Brodie’s telling phrase, there is a “savagely cynical account” by one of Joseph’s early confidants, Peter Ingersoll, about the origins of the Book of Mormon. According to Ingersoll, Joseph told him he’d brought home some fine white sand wrapped in his shirt, and his family wanted to know what it was. Joseph said, “I happened to think of what I had heard about a history found in Canada, called the golden Bible; so I very gravely told them I had received a commandment to let no one see it, for says I, no man can see it with the naked eye and live. However, I offered to take out the book and show it to them, but they refused to see it, and left the room. Now, I have got the damned fools fixed, and will carry out the fun.”

The rest is history.
 
I know Christians who deliberately included the book of Mormon and the pearl of great price in the bathroom with the Koran to use as toilet paper. Having read the book of Mormon and the pearl of great price I can't really say they were making a mistake.
You have some rather odd Christian acquaintances, I must observe.
 
You have some rather odd Christian acquaintances, I must observe.


You have NO idea.

My mother, bless her soul, she meant well with the churches she picked. The Lutheran University I attended doesn't have a reputation for having a bunch of loonies on campus.

Regardless, over the course of my life I've managed to befriend some crazy people. I know members of an extremist Mormon sect that considers the LDS cursed by it's liberalism, hardcore Christian dominion folks and even a couple members of the Christian Identity movement. Then there are the real extremists to the right of those groups. I don't talk about them very much.

I don't actively associate with most of these people though. The bulk of them fall into the category of "someone I used to know" and to a large extent, I'm glad I don't know them anymore.

Still, the two hottest women who ever took a shine to me were both members of that Mormon sect and they seem to kinda like the idea of being sister wives. Life would've been interesting if I ever managed to swallow any of old Smith's cons.
 
Slowvehicle: You have persistently asked and asked and asked for my response. It has been given.

Jesus Christ is the Jehovah /God of the Old Testament, and the revelator to the Prophets.

No. I suggest that you read the bible.
 
You continue to commit the fallacy of Ignorantiam, argumentum ad, in which you use your lack of knowledge about something to imply that the opposite is the case. Madsen Pirie* puts it this way: "The fallacy consists of the intervention of irrelevant material, in the shape of our own ignorance, into an argument which is about something else." *Author, How to Win Every Argument: The Use and Abuse of Logic, Continuum, 2007.

The fact that you know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not a club and its buildings are not clubhouses does not absolve you of having committed the fallacy. Consequently, your rant about xianists and "amended scriptures" is difficult to take seriously.

But your scriptures are wrong. The claims contained therein are factually incorrect. Whether you think you meet in a clubhouse or a cathedral your scriptures are incorrect.
 
Janadele and Skyrider44, how can you know that your Scriptures are the Word of God, and not the ancient legends of semi-nomadical goat-herders and their later, city-dwelling descendants? What makes you so certain that the Bible is not a lot of invented nonsense and mythmaking?
 
As you keep repeating Craig. Do you think continually asserting incorrect opinions will somehow make them correct? Not so. Truth remains truth regardless of how many times the foolish and the ignorant rant and rave against it.
 
As you keep repeating Craig. Do you think continually asserting incorrect opinions will somehow make them correct? Not so. Truth remains truth regardless of how many times the foolish and the ignorant rant and rave against it.

But I'm right. There were no horses or chariots in the Pre Colombian Americas.
 
As you keep repeating Craig. Do you think continually asserting incorrect opinions will somehow make them correct? Not so. Truth remains truth regardless of how many times the foolish and the ignorant rant and rave against it.

My irony meter just turned gay.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom