• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

James Cameron in the Mariana Trench

hgc

Penultimate Amazing
Joined
Jun 14, 2002
Messages
15,892
As I write this, James Cameron is sitting at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, a mile more below the surface of the ocean than Mt Everest is tall.

In case you thought he was just a Hollywood dilettante with an expensive hobby rooting around the ocean floors, this is some serious explorational achievement. My hat's off to him.

(Yes, I know he's not the first to reach there, but he is the first to have clear view of things.)
 
I can't wait to see the images.
Assuming he returns.



Off-topic: where do I get a job designing those subs?
 
One consolation if he doesn't is that his death will be instant and painless.

(Assuming that you wouldn't wish for him to suffer, as a human being if not a filmmaker).
 
My favorite pic so far:

nti.jpg
They seem intelligent.
 
http://deepseachallenge.com/

This the main site with a lot of information about all aspects of the project. The pilot's chamber is spherical, 2.5 inches thick, steel. I would love to know what kind of electrical feedthroughs they use for all the control cables.
 
As I write this, James Cameron is sitting at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, a mile more below the surface of the ocean than Mt Everest is tall.

In case you thought he was just a Hollywood dilettante with an expensive hobby rooting around the ocean floors, this is some serious explorational achievement. My hat's off to him.

(Yes, I know he's not the first to reach there, but he is the first to have clear view of things.)

I thought the trench was closer to 4 or 5 miles deep
 
I didn't hear anything about this leading up to it. It's pretty impressive that it was solo. I suppose the sphere is a lot smaller and easier to build for just one person. I wonder if he had a window or relied solely on cameras. I'm guessing cameras. I wouldn't want to trust my life to some glass.

Steve S.
 
I didn't hear anything about this leading up to it. It's pretty impressive that it was solo. I suppose the sphere is a lot smaller and easier to build for just one person. I wonder if he had a window or relied solely on cameras. I'm guessing cameras. I wouldn't want to trust my life to some glass.

Steve S.
One small view port.
 
You're all missing the most significant milestone of this mission:

@JimCameron:
Just arrived at the ocean's deepest pt. Hitting bottom never felt so good. Can't wait to share what I'm seeing w/ you @DeepChallenge

Deepest tweet ever.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom