• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Is there an "atheist perspective"?

I'm going to identify a group called "asantas" who don't believe in Santa Claus. I hypothesize that members of this group might have some characteristics in common. For example, we might find that their average age is older than those who believe in Santa Claus. This hypothesis cannot be rejected by force of logic alone.
 
Respect is earned, not given. Now, what rules do atheists follow?

Then, with all due respect, I prefer not to earn your respect. And, you are wrong, by the way. Respect is a right in many situations, it does not have to be asked for or earned. I think you know this.
 
I'm going to identify a group called "asantas" who don't believe in Santa Claus. I hypothesize that members of this group might have some characteristics in common. For example, we might find that their average age is older than those who believe in Santa Claus. This hypothesis cannot be rejected by force of logic alone.

This is all good if you can show "asantas" is a word in general use and defined in a dictionary.
 
This is all good if you can show "asantas" is a word in general use and defined in a dictionary.

I define an atheist as someone who does not believe in deities based on a mental process that brought him or her to this conclusion. I would never say a 2 year old is an atheist. Further I would consider someone an atheist who is consistent in his or her understanding of not believing in deities.

This is not a dictionary definition.
 
This is not a dictionary definition.

Yes it is. I have only expanded on the dictionary definition.

From Wikipedia:
"Atheism, in a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities."

First, this implies that someone has had a mental process that lead to reject the idea of gods. I don't think a 2 year old has that capacity.

Second, there must be a consistency in this rejection.
 
Yes it is. I have only expanded on the dictionary definition.

From Wikipedia:
"Atheism, in a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities."

First, this implies that someone has had a mental process that lead to reject the idea of gods. I don't think a 2 year old has that capacity.

Second, there must be a consistency in this rejection.

This would be a definition of the English word, correct?
 
What rules do atheists follow?

This was in the context that atheist should not be placed in a box. I was making the point that that is a rule. "Atheists should not be placed in a box." I was emphasizing the idea that the "not in a box" is a box.
 
Ok, if this is the level of technical precision that is required, then fine.

Technically speaking, we ALL have to interpret symbols, definitions, words. It is impossible not to. That's not what was meant. That I did not invent the category should be self-evident.

Now, I have to have a working definition of atheist. And it is possible (specially when someone wants to win an argument) to squabble about definitions for arguments sake. I don't expect you or anybody here to agree (for consensus sake) with my working definition, but I believe my definition is reasonable and would fit how most people who are knowledgable of the term.

If we can't agree on any definition, then, of course the discussion in moot.

If you'll forgive the derailment, I find this topic fascinating.
 
This was in the context that atheist should not be placed in a box. I was making the point that that is a rule. "Atheists should not be placed in a box." I was emphasizing the idea that the "not in a box" is a box.

So you agree that "asantas" is a box?
 
Spanish too.

Indeed. Since we are getting technical, I would like to discuss with you how the process of interpretation differs between cultures and languages. For example, how would you interpret "No soy catolico ni cristiano?"
 
Indeed. Since we are getting technical, I would like to discuss with you how the process of interpretation differs between cultures and languages. For example, how would you interpret "No soy catolico ni cristiano?"

Lo interpretaría como alguien que no sabe que está siendo redundante.

Someone who is being redundant.
 
Forgive me, I am not a native speaker. What do you think of this translation:

"I am neither universal nor human."

A very bad one. (don't worry) Your first question was: I'm neither a Catholic or Christian.
 
Last edited:
A very bad one. (don't worry) Your first question was: I'm neither a Catholic or Christian.

Hmm, I was told by a native speaker that this sentence could be interpreted multiple ways. Never mind.

How would you interpret the word "ideogram" in English compared to how a Mandarin speaker would intepret the Mandarin translation?
 
Then, with all due respect, I prefer not to earn your respect. And, you are wrong, by the way. Respect is a right in many situations, it does not have to be asked for or earned. I think you know this.

I am sorry you have chosen not to answer Sledge's question, as I too would be interested to read your reply.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom