• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Is There A Gender War?

There's been a lot of study on that..... Well before Mr. Gray (he of the diploma-mill "PHD") came out with his "Mars and Venus" books, one of our university authors did a book on the differences between male and female communications strategies.
I think the title was "You Just Don't Listen" or something like that.

It was pretty interesting. The author appeared on a couple of the NPR talk shows ( I think she was on Science Friday) and explained how these different strategies might have evolved in hunter-gatherer situations where women, being left in the camp or village to communally cook, gather, and care for kids would learn cooperation and negotiation, whereas men out in the field for hunting (or war) would learn terse, leader-driven styles of communication.

I've never been involved in an employment situation where I could "negotiate" for salary or benefits. In police work, you just get what anyone of your rank gets. Period.
 
I've observed a noticeable difference in the ways each gender presents conclusions. Women seem far more likely to say "Well I feel..." whereas men more often employ "I think..."


Women do seem to be much more introspective while men are more outward looking. This is reflected in studies of how men and women respond to pain. Women tend to focus on how the pain makes them feel. Men tend to focus on what is causing the pain and attempt to stop it.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom