I have no idea what you think I'm not quite right about. I can assure you that I didn't get my bonus points twenty years ago because I was in the "under-16's" age group, and on the other hand, I was still too young to be in the age bracket significantly affected by Alzheimer's.Not quite right. You are assessed according to your age group,hence, under-16's would get a weighting, which led to inflated scores in some cases, often due to fast development, precociousness, etc. However, for an adult it's generally believed you've reached your peak at about age 12, fitting in with Piaget's developmental stage of understanding abstract concepts, such as consistency of volume when pouring water from a tall glass into a wide one, for example. Things such as Alzheimer's, and other illnesses affecting cognitive reasoning, wouldn't be treated as 'normal' (=organic disease). My psychology tutor used to inform us the average mental age of the elderly was just nine-years-old but perhaps he was including the (sadly) senile. Senility is not inevitable.
As for senility not being inevitable, it very much depends. As I mentioned in post 273, there are many things you can do (and some you can avoid doing) that will delay the onset or the progression of dementia, but 76% isn't 100%.
The allegedly "inflated scores in some cases, often due to fast development, precociousness, etc." sounds like the bad excuses fans of the 'g' delusion come up with when their claims about IQ scores as predictive turn out to be wrong. Yes, some kids learn some things earlier than others, and other kids stop learning earlier than others. Some of them give up on learning "abstract concepts" when parents, teachers and the educational system have convinced them that it's something their 'g's aren't suited for and relegated them to classes for future menial labourers, the epsilons of the Brave New World of capitalism but without the Bokanowski process. In fact, people like Helmuth Nyborg claim that it's an entirely natural process.
Last edited: