• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

How Long Will the Impeachment Trial Last?

How long will the impeachment trial last?

  • One hour or less

    Votes: 8 14.0%
  • One day or less

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • One week or less

    Votes: 11 19.3%
  • One month or less.

    Votes: 15 26.3%
  • It'll still be going on Planet X in 2219.

    Votes: 7 12.3%

  • Total voters
    57
Hell if McConnel wants he'll have an all Republican trial.

All the Dems will bluster with "BUT THE RULES SAY YOU CAN'T DO THAT" and the Republicans will be all "SHOW ME IN THE CONSTITUTION WHERE IT SAYS 'ALL OF THE SENATE.'
 
Hell if McConnel wants he'll have an all Republican trial.

All the Dems will bluster with "BUT THE RULES SAY YOU CAN'T DO THAT" and the Republicans will be all "SHOW ME IN THE CONSTITUTION WHERE IT SAYS 'ALL OF THE SENATE.'

The Trial will be held at Mar-a-Lago - by Invitation only
 
Oh yeah however this ends the "Trump on his way out pardons" are going to be... interesting to say the least.

If he's Impeached by the Senate (but he won't be), isn't that pretty much it? He's out immediately? No grace period to get his affairs in order?
I think in all the other scenarios he gets some time to do some real damage.
 
If he's Impeached by the Senate (but he won't be), isn't that pretty much it? He's out immediately? No grace period to get his affairs in order?
I think in all the other scenarios he gets some time to do some real damage.

Since it's a metaphysical impossibility I didn't include Trump being convicted in my "no matter how this is gonna end" qualifier. And hell even then I wouldn't put it past him to somehow try. Or just leave Pence a list of people to pardon.

Trump's gonna have a lameduck period at some point we're going to have to deal with.
 
Last edited:
Trump will testify entirely via tweets.

The Trumpers on the board will say that makes perfect sense.
I'm trying to figure out which is the more contrarian reply. Is it...

"Of course it doesn't make any sense at all to testify by tweet. How would that even work? Stupid!"

Or is it...

"Of course it would make sense for Trump to try to testify by tweet!"

I'm stumped.
 
I'm trying to figure out which is the more contrarian reply. Is it...

Wow Meta-Contrarianism. That's new.

Is that the plan now? Become the Deadpool of contrarians? Keep doing the same thing but occasionally turn to the camera and wink?
 
Wow Meta-Contrarianism. That's new.

Is that the plan now? Become the Deadpool of contrarians? Keep doing the same thing but occasionally turn to the camera and wink?

I mean, you have to admit it would make perfect sense for Donald Trump to try to testify via tweets, even though tweeted testimony makes no sense at all and would be a stupid idea.
 
I mean, you have to admit it would make perfect sense for Donald Trump to try to testify via tweets, even though tweeted testimony makes no sense at all and would be a stupid idea.

No I don't have to admit anything. I retain the right to stay in reality.

I miss the days when you would, at least occasionally, join us there.
 
No I don't have to admit anything. I retain the right to stay in reality.

I miss the days when you would, at least occasionally, join us there.

Point taken. Let me try joining you in reality:

I think the reality is that Donald Trump could very well try to testify via tweets. Not because it's a good idea, but because it's a typically Trumpian idea. I.e., it makes perfect sense that Trump would try to do this.

I also think the reality is that testifying by tweet is a juridical impossibility. It's a stupid idea that makes no sense at all, probably not even in Donald Trump's head while he's trying to do it.

There. Is that reality-based enough for you?
 
You think "We get to call witnesses, the Dems don't" is outside of either McConnell's ability or his will to do so if he wants to?

What are the Dems going to do yell "But the rulebook says you can't do that!" at him from the sidelines?

Why would the GOP want to call witnesses? Isn't their best move to just say "this is all baseless and I move to dismiss", and then do exactly that? They've already laid the groundwork for that. After months of saying that it's not worth dignifying with being taken seriously, why would they then suddenly decide to take it seriously? What possible advantage could it give them? How is it in any way better than the alternative?
 
Why would the GOP want to call witnesses? Isn't their best move to just say "this is all baseless and I move to dismiss", and then do exactly that? They've already laid the groundwork for that. After months of saying that it's not worth dignifying with being taken seriously, why would they then suddenly decide to take it seriously? What possible advantage could it give them? How is it in any way better than the alternative?
Probably would be their best move in toto. It forgoes tremendous opportunities for grandstanding by individual Senators, though.

The house had their time in front of the mic., the Senators might want theirs now.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom