Highly Selassie
Critical Thinker
- Joined
- Mar 5, 2008
- Messages
- 259
Sorry, I can't post a link to an article. Just search Google News and you'll probably find it.
Quinesha Garrett, an 18-year-old high school senior in Tennessee, was suspended from her day classes after refusing to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. It seems like most opposition to the Pledge is based on the "under God" phrase. However, her refusal was based on religious convictions. She is a devout Christian who believes she cannot pledge her allegiance to anyone but God. The administration sent her to night school, claiming that they were accommodating her behavior and that it was not a form of punishment. She was reinstated to her normal classes after hiring a lawyer who informed the school of this reason. The right to refuse the Pledge is coded in Tennessee state law, as well as a 1943 Supreme Court ruling. I wonder how accommodating the school would have been if this student was an atheist who refused based on the "under God" phrase.
I grew up in the States. All through high school I never actually spoke the words of the Pledge, and neither did the majority of the students. Most still stood, but towards the end I stopped standing. My regular teachers never gave me any problems. One day, my morning class was in the school library, and I remained seated reading a book (Dead Souls, for what it's worth) while the Pledge was being broadcast over the PA. A librarian came over to me, pushed the book down and demanded that I stand. I just gazed at her with no expression on my face, and started reading again. I wasn't punished for this, which actually disappointed me slightly.
Has anyone else heard of this type of Pledge opposition? Does anyone else wonder what the reaction would have been if this student's refusal was based on atheism? Any other anecdotes about Pledge opposition?
Quinesha Garrett, an 18-year-old high school senior in Tennessee, was suspended from her day classes after refusing to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance. It seems like most opposition to the Pledge is based on the "under God" phrase. However, her refusal was based on religious convictions. She is a devout Christian who believes she cannot pledge her allegiance to anyone but God. The administration sent her to night school, claiming that they were accommodating her behavior and that it was not a form of punishment. She was reinstated to her normal classes after hiring a lawyer who informed the school of this reason. The right to refuse the Pledge is coded in Tennessee state law, as well as a 1943 Supreme Court ruling. I wonder how accommodating the school would have been if this student was an atheist who refused based on the "under God" phrase.
I grew up in the States. All through high school I never actually spoke the words of the Pledge, and neither did the majority of the students. Most still stood, but towards the end I stopped standing. My regular teachers never gave me any problems. One day, my morning class was in the school library, and I remained seated reading a book (Dead Souls, for what it's worth) while the Pledge was being broadcast over the PA. A librarian came over to me, pushed the book down and demanded that I stand. I just gazed at her with no expression on my face, and started reading again. I wasn't punished for this, which actually disappointed me slightly.
Has anyone else heard of this type of Pledge opposition? Does anyone else wonder what the reaction would have been if this student's refusal was based on atheism? Any other anecdotes about Pledge opposition?