• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Helen Thomas resigns over remarks

I'm not saying they are, I'm saying the comments are analogous.

Comprende?

1. There's no need to yell.
2. No, I don't understand. How can the comments be analogous if the situations they each refer to are not equivalent? Is it merely similarity of language that concerns you rather than similarity of meaning?
 
1. There's no need to yell.

I believe there is, you cannot seem to understand what is the issue here.

2. No, I don't understand. How can the comments be analogous if the situations they each refer to are not equivalent? Is it merely similarity of language that concerns you rather than similarity of meaning?

She asks an entire people to be removed, how isn't that analogous?
 
So, if we take a twisted logic, shouldn't they be more than happy to go back?

um...would YOU wanna return to central east Africa?

The country of Israel isn't an illegal settlement, it's a sovereign state recognized by the UN.

So you find her comments acceptable?

Yes, Israel within the 1967 borders is perfectly legal. But the settlements in the West Bank are illegal. There is nothing wrong with calling for the inhabitants of the settlements to pack up and go home.
 
um...would YOU wanna return to central east Africa?

Do you want to go back to Poland?

Yes, Israel within the 1967 borders is perfectly legal. But the settlements in the West Bank are illegal.
But that's not what you were referring to, and this is not what Thomas was referring to either.

You were talking about the original settlers to Israel.

There is nothing wrong with calling for the inhabitants of the settlements to pack up and go home.

She wasn't referring to the settlements in the West Bank. She was talking about Israel, the country.
 
I think everything needs to be set into perspective, i am pretty sure Americas Indians for a while said the settlers should go back where they came from.
 
You were talking about the original settlers to Israel.

I consider all residents of Israel proper to be legal and should not have to go anywhere.

But does Helen Thomas or anyone else have the right to think and speak differently? Sure they do. This is a free country.

What do I care if people say stupid things. I have more important stuff to worry about.
 
I think everything needs to be set into perspective, i am pretty sure Americas Indians for a while said the settlers should go back where they came from.

What exactly is the perspective we should have? Should we ignore racist comments if they come from our side of a political argument? Should we try to minimize them? To 'understand' them?

Or, alternatively, should we realise that this is part of the problem, and that such attitudes must be tackled if we want to make some progress. In fact, for bitter disputes it is even more important to criticise such opinions.
 
FYI....Helen Thomas is a stupid, old, crazy woman.

This fact alone should put her ideas into the proper perspective.
 
Then it is not me you should be arguing against, but M. López.

You guys need to have a little chat.

Mr. Lopez is free to have his own opinions. One cannot logically debate the truth or falseness of an opinion.
 
And that makes it OK?

no, but it helps understanding her, and then instead of countering her words with : Antisemite and bigot, one could counter it with damn good reasons for those people to settle down in Israel and working towards statehood.
 
Mr. Lopez is free to have his own opinions. One cannot logically debate the truth or falseness of an opinion.

Then what are you doing here?

Why do you even respond to people you disagree with? Actually, you're disagreeing with López, not me.
 
"One cannot logically debate the truth or falseness of an opinion."

That's signature worthy.
 
Parky, why do you keep responding to those "right-wing Zionists"?

After all, it's only their opinion, right?
 
Thunder said:
I consider all residents of Israel proper to be legal and should not have to go anywhere.

Then it is not me you should be arguing against, but M. López.

You guys need to have a little chat.
Here you go again, misrepresenting my position.

I dare you to find even a single post where I advocate the deportation of Jewish Israeli citizens. While that may or may not be what Helen Thomas meant, what I mean when I say that Israel should not have been established in the first place is that the government of Israel stands on a shaky moral foundation. If you take that to mean that Jews living in Israel should be deported, then you haven't understood what I'm saying.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom