*Did not join to make this post*
I don't have any statistics to hand, so there are several reasonable assumptions in what I'm about to say. If anyone has the statistics regarding how much alcohol the average person consumes, the general age range for alcohol consumption and how many people within that test were affected with health issues prohibiting alcohol consumption; I'd be grateful. I'm aware the last one is a bit of a stretch.
I think it is reasonable to say that on a weekly basis the majority of people would fall into the "moderate drinker" category. Lets throw a figure at it and call it 80% of people in any given collection of 1,000 people collected off of the street would be "moderate drinkers" or would have been moderate drinkers in the past, given "abstaining from alcohol does actually tend to increase one's risk of dying even when you exclude former drinkers" those that were drinkers and now are not did not contribute to the "non drinkers" mortality statistic.
The other two groups, the "heavy drinkers" and the "non drinkers" are an even split of the last 20%. Further assumptions incoming, I think it is reasonable to say that those who drink heavily or not at all do so under such a huge variety of conditions and for so many different reasons that its illogical/a waste of time to attempt to correlate reasoning with either stance.
Getting back to the "moderate drinkers"... moderation in all things. Without seeing the actual statistics of that study I could just as easily say "Heavy Drinkers Suicide Ratio 1:3" and you'd not be able to get back to much on it.
My point is that within reason you can't just take a group of people, segregate them based on one thing and then attribute the resulting divisions with amazing properties. For instance, people eat oranges, I take 1,000 people off of the street and ask them how many oranges do they eat a day. Dividing them up into three categories, "Monkey", "Fruit Bat" and "Carnivore" where "Monkey" is 5+ and "Carnivore" is 0. I find that almost miraculously those in the "Monkey" category can jump higher than those in the "Carnivore" category and then attribute this to their consumption of oranges. Thus, eat oranges and jump higher.
I would probably fall into the "moderate drinker" category myself and I could say that of all the moderate and heavy drinkers I know/knew, not alot of them are dead. I could say the same about the people who abstain.