The Shrike
Philosopher
I see its apparent size, shape, and plumage all positive for Little Auk. Lighting, angle, and individual variation can make a single image difficult call with 100% certainty. For example, I can't guarantee that there isn't a white partial eye ring or "eye arc" on this bird; I can only say that I don't see one. At the same time, I am not convinced there is any white on the bill because I'm not seeing anything so clearly that I can say for sure it's a marking on the bill or a play of the light.Do you see any positive traits for Little Auk?
The bird's posture is less typical for a Little Auk, but they do stretch their necks from time to time and assume a very different shape than we usually see. The one thing that doesn't change, however, is bill shape. Our perception is really just a function of its angle to the camera. In this case, what I see is sufficient to convince me that the bill is not the blunt-tipped "Roman nose" of a Razorbill; it is, instead, a dead-ringer for Little Auk bill shape on some of the photos to which I had linked.
If this bird lacked a bill altogether, I'd still lean heavily toward Little Auk. The bill shape, however, clinches it for me.
