• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Forum birdwatching 2009

Okay, so they have turned off the internet access where I live in anticipation of selling the old guest scientist houses later this year. Consequently, I have access only during class, and updating will have to wait until next week...
 
Just a couple of observations:
1. Dragonflies were mating above our local pond. They are of a fairly large variety. A western bluebird swooped in and caught one. It was the largest prey I had ever seen a songbird grab. She took it off and attempted to eat it in peace but between her buddies and the idiot that was trying to take pictures of her with her prey she didn't get as much peace as she would have liked.

2. Breeding plumage has returned to our local mallards. That was quicker than I expected. I think they were only in eclipse plumage for a few months. I noticed that the Wikipedia images of mallards has quite a few males in eclipse plumage misidentified as females.
 
Last edited:
I got bored this afternoon and decided to try to use my 8" (200mm) astronomical reflector to catch some birds at the feeder. After about 15 minutes of setup time and some finagling to get the telescope to focus on an object closer than 70 yards away, I took several pictures. The batteries in my camera died within 10 minutes and I didn't have any charged spares; it's like the 4th law of thermodynamics that such things happen. Anyway, when I was done, it occurred to me that I could have gotten much the same images by pulling a lawn chair up beside the bird feeder and sitting very still for 15 minutes, so I tried that as well, once I recharged the batteries. I was happy to find that the telescope images were still substantially better than even a picture taken from 5 feet away. I also tried to see how far I could ramp up the magnification, but the viewing wasn't good enough to do anything impressive. Even at 120x magnification the best image I got was nearly worthless.

Nothing amazing popped up while I was watching, but a nuthatch performed nicely for me, as well as several chickadees and a juvenile tufted titmouse (sans tuft, as of yet.) I've always loved nuthatches, they seem to enjoy being upside down...

Telescope, 25x from 50 yards. Cropped, rotated, and reduced in size.
nuthatch.jpg

Lawn chair, 5x from 2 yards. Cropped, rotated, and reduced in size. This came out very grainy as I used a high ISO shot for it. It's a cute picture though.
chickadee and nuthatch.jpg
 
Hi jasonpatterson,
Thanks for the image comparisons.

I have a Canon with a 20 to one zoom (Really about 15X compared to a normal lens) and I've seen things in the images that I didn't know existed in my local world. I got it partially because I wanted to improve the images of small birds I was trying to take. I think it has been mixed with regards to that. It turns out that small birds (at least for me) are difficult to photograph in the wild. They are small and skittish and getting good pictures remains illusive. Every once in awhile I think I've take a nice picture and then I take a look at some of the better pictures on the web or some National Geographic images and I realize just how far away from really good pictures I am.

The camera has an awesome macro capability but alas the zoom and the macro don't mix well. One of the big problems for the macro images I take is that the camera blocks the light and the flash is blocked by the camera for close up images. I'm thinking about getting one of those ring flash doohickeys to fix that problem.
 
JREF Forum Birdwatching Webpage has moved.

Due to Geocities closing down in October, I've had to move the Forum Birdwatching pages to a new domain.

Please update your links to :
http://www.ennishocking.com/jref/JREF_Forum_Birding.html

The new site will give me more page opportunities (i.e. the last only accepted HTML) so look forward to a redesign, hopefully allowing a bit more interaction with the lists.

Kotatsu and I are just rechecking that we're both in sync on the list and I'll endeavour to update to end of August very, very soon!
 
A few photos for the thread.

This a Green-backed Heron in South Africa working on swallowing a frog.
26614ab683a591334.jpg


A Longbilled Curlew, Moss Landing, CA
(and one I missed on my list, Kotatsu)
26614ab683c4814c0.jpg


Grey Flycatcher, Grand Canyon, AZ
26614ab683e0c6c02.jpg


Chickadee, Grand Canyon AZ
26614ab683f5a4ba8.jpg


Raven, Grand Canyon AZ
26614ab685e3c2eae.jpg
 
I have had a fairly good day of surprises in my yard. For the first time in my life I saw a bird that I was 100% sure was a hairy woodpecker (Picoides villosus) rather than a downy, I also spotted a red bellied woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) and my daughter and I were surprised while we were planning a small orchard in the back of our yard by a red shouldered hawk (Buteo lineatus) swooping out of a neighboring patch of trees, grabbing a mouse or chipmunk, then swooping back up to its perch to eat. It was very cool.

I don't think any of these are new to the list, but they are new sightings for the year for me, and in the case of the hairy woodpecker, my first confirmed sighting ever (and it landed right outside my kitchen window while I was cleaning up breakfast.) A good birthday so far.
 
A minor correction to a post above by me:

<Material that probably doesn't interest anybody>

I stated that I had seen a western blue bird capture a large dragonfly.

A more careful review of the pictures I took and observations of black phoebes and western blue birds made me realize it was a black phoebe.

One might ask how the two birds could possibly be confused. Well first I am far from an expert. But I thought I knew that black phoebes didn't have any visible pattern on their wings when viewed from behind. And I've seen quite a range of western blue birds lately that vary quite a bit because of sex differences and eclipse versus breeding plumage and perhaps just individual to individual variation. So I shoehorned my identification into the range of western blue bird even though the feathers seemed too black.

But I have now looked at black phoebes more carefully and I now see that at least some do have a visible pattern when viewed from the rear that was similar to the one of the bird that captured the dragonfly.

</Material that probably doesn't interest anybody>
 
20 Sept 2009, Ballona Wetlands (LA Area), CA

Went out to the Ballona Wetlands on Sunday with my trusty camera. I think this is a quiet time of the year, because there wasn't nearly the variety or activity that I saw in the spring. Still, there were at least 2 species I hadn't seen before.

We'll see if I can get the pictures to post - I had trouble with that yesterday on a different thread.

Actually saw and got pictures of:

Northern Shoveler - Anas Clypeata
Great Egret - Ardea Alba
Snowy Egret - Egretta Thla
Red Tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis
Mourning Dove - Zenaida Macroura
Savannah Sparrow, I think - Passerculus sandwichensis
Common Moorhen - Gallinula chloropus
American Coot - Fulica americana
Mallard - Anas platyrynchos

Probably: Gadwall - Anas strepera. When I took the pic, I thought it was a mallard, but the bill is too small. But it looks a lot like the Gadwall picture in Sibley's

Heard but not seen: Killdeer - Charadrius vociferus (I've seen several of them at Ballona in previous trips)

The pictures didn't get inserted quite the way I wanted. The 3rd picture is a small, unidentified raptor. From the front, it looked like a peregrine or a prairie falcon, sort of.
The others are:
#1: Snowy Egret
#2: Red-Tailed Hawk
#4: Northern Shoveler (I'd never seen one before. The bill is just goofy)
#5: Great Egrets.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2575 crop Snowy Egret.jpg
    IMG_2575 crop Snowy Egret.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2595 adj Red Tailed Hawk.jpg
    IMG_2595 adj Red Tailed Hawk.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2615 crop unidentified raptor.jpg
    IMG_2615 crop unidentified raptor.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2629 crop Northern Shoveler maybe.jpg
    IMG_2629 crop Northern Shoveler maybe.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2636 crop Great Egrets.jpg
    IMG_2636 crop Great Egrets.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0
I finally got to go to the Lake Erie shore today, there were hundreds of gulls flocked together, almost entirely ring billed gulls (larus delawarensis) and herring gulls (Larus argentatus.) There were probably a few oddballs mixed in, but I had these two strange creatures with me, so I didn't get much time to study the flock in detail.

kid.JPG kid2.JPG

I also saw a number of common terns (Sterna hirundo) coming across the lake. I saw a few cormorants at a distance, but didn't get a good enough look to identify the species. Unfortunately the neotropical migration is pretty much done, I'll have to wait until next spring to get a better look, apparently they pool up at Headlands State Park (where we were) before crossing the lake.
 
Finally back from a sort of black hole of over-working... faunistics field courses, microscopy work 8-19 every day and then a course in biodiversity informatics in Stockholm, a dissertation and a hundred other excuses not to do anything... I will try to find some way to make up for this soon... I have started adding everything to the list again, and will have that finished by the end of the week, at least.

In the meantime, let me share my pissed-off-ness with you. I was not allowed to participate in the expedition to Texas/Florida, because some members thought that my collection methods were too potentially dangerous to the birds, and thus placed the expedition leader in an "it's either him or us" situation. I have killed five birds out of almost 3000 during my collections. Two during the first two or three weeks, when I was still learning the technique, one when an assistant made a mistake during her first week, and two when we were working in Australia, and had to adapt a method designed for fulmars and shearwaters in England to Red-necked stints on the beaches of the Indian Ocean. Other than that, no casualties at all.

This should be contrasted against them being perfectly okay with participating in an expedition that uses cannon nets to catch their birds. For those of you who don't know what that is, you basically shoot a number of 40 cm steel bars with a net attached to them into a flock of birds, which usually is just at the water's edge. This means that birds can be killed by being hit by the steel bars, by being decapitated by the front end of the net, by being pierced with stones or similar that are used to cover the net before shooting, by the shock of the cannons, by being drowned by the weight of the net if the tide is a bit too high, by getting too tangled in the net, and by shock and terror when you take it out of the net. All of which cannot in any way whatsoever be prevented! This, they must feel, is safer than fumigating the body of the bird and picking lice from the head manually, all the while paying full attention to the bird and being able to release it as soon as it shows the slightest sign of discomfort or harm.

Consequently, I will likely not be able to get material from all Calidrinae species for my thesis, unless we can find someone else who catches shorebirds in central and eastern USA/Canada. My supervisor has some ideas, but I have no idea how plausible they are. Either way, I am quite upset by this.

I know you would have enjoyed Kotatsu's company, I've had the pleasure of catching up with him on the occasions he's been through London and look forward to returning the favour in Sweden (he doesn't sell his home town though!).

Well, bird-wise it's a nice place, and I invite any and all of you to come birdwatching here, especially in late April to early June. We have lots of easterners here by then!

Right. Got it now I hope.

I would put this one down as a Cooper's Hawk. I understand that the bands on the tail are quite telling, with Cooper's always showing four and Sharp-shinned always showing three.

Kruger National Park, South Africa. I could have easily photographed many more had I not been too distracted by the mammals.

Are your photos visible somewhere?

Black-bellied Plover
Marbled Godwit

You didn't happen to get any lice form these species?^^

Also: I have noted your Plain Titmouse as Juniper Titmouse Baeolophus ridgwayi, as it was split into two species in 1996. My hardcover copy of Clements' list lists this as B. griseus. The other species, Oak Titmouse B. inornatus is only in California-Oregon.


BTW: I've added records from sphenisc, Mako, jasonpatterson, El_Greco, Kestrel, dasmiller, dropzone, amapola, Blue Bubble, EHocking, ad myself. That means that all reports have been added up until today.
 
<snip>In the meantime, let me share my pissed-off-ness with you. <snip>
Sorry to hear about this major set back (and insult).

I wonder if we have anyone on the Forum that may have contacts with ringing groups in the US?
You didn't happen to get any lice form these species?^^
Not intentionally and if you mention it to my wife she will be horrified with the prospect!!
Also: I have noted your Plain Titmouse as Juniper Titmouse Baeolophus ridgwayi, as it was split into two species in 1996. My hardcover copy of Clements' list lists this as B. griseus. The other species, Oak Titmouse B. inornatus is only in California-Oregon.
Well, my US field guide is quite old now and it was certainly seen in a Juniper tree!
BTW: I've added records from sphenisc, Mako, jasonpatterson, El_Greco, Kestrel, dasmiller, dropzone, amapola, Blue Bubble, EHocking, ad myself. That means that all reports have been added up until today.
I'll endeavour to summarise our numbers, at the very least, got another out of country work trip (and a weekend jaunt to catch up with my brother over from Oz) so I can't promise that webpage update I've been, er, promising.
 
I actually realised that I have quite a bit to report from Sweden left:

19/8 Gothenburg:
Red-backed Shrike Lanius collurio
Greenshank Tringa nebularia
Sandwich Tern Thalasseus sandvicensis

6/9 Gothenburg:
Razorbill Alca torda
Common Guillemot Uria aalge
Little Stint Calidris minuta
Kittywake Rissa tridactyla

Today I also got a Lapland Longspur Calcarius lapponicusflying over the Zoology building, as well as at least one Goldfinch Carduelis carduleis.
 
Went to the Bolsa Chica wetlands again last weekend (technically, "Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve" in Huntington Beach, CA. It's Los Angeles area, for non-locals). One inspiration for going was that others were posting pictures of Green Herons wandering around, and I'd never seen a green heron. I eventually found what I believed to be a green heron and took several pictures, but when I posted one of them on Flickr, other posters pointed out that it was, instead, a Reddish Egret, which is a much more rare bird and doesn't even show up in some of the Western bird guides.

Later, while going through still-unsorted pictures from an earlier trip to Ballona Creek, I discovered that I'd previously photographed a green heron and mis-identified it as a black crowned night heron.

I need to work on my heron identification skills.

October 4, 2009, Bolsa Chica wetlands, CA:

Aechmoporus occidentalis - Western Grebe (first sighting for me)
Egretta rufescens - Reddish Egret (first sighting for me)
Pandion haliaetus - Osprey (first confirmed sighting for me)
Egretta thula - Snowy Egret
Ardea alba - Great Egret
Pelecanus occidetnalis - Brown Pelican
Catoptrophorus semipalmatus - Willet
Sterna foresti - Forster's Tern
Limosa Fedoa - Marbled Godwit
Passerculus sandwichensis - Savannah Sparrrow
Phalocrocorax auritus - Double-Crested Cormorant
Podiceps nigricollis - Eared Grebe (first sighting for me)
Numenius americanus - Long-billed curlew
Larus occidentalis - Western Gull
Oxyura jamaicensis - Ruddy Duck
Sayornis nigricans - Black Phoebe
Calidris mauri - Western Sandpiper
Chardrius semipalmatus -Semipalmated Plover









May need to work on my image-posting skills, too. Ah, well, one thing at a time.
 
Some new birds for me for the year, as well as a lot of repeats. I'm not really sure, would you prefer an update that includes everything a person has seen, or just the more unusual birds once the very common ones have been noted? Either way, it doesn't take much more time on my end...
The usual suspects at my feeders in Macedonia, OH (all of these, every day for the past month):
American goldfinch – Carduelis tristis
Black capped chickadee – Poecile atricapilla (one let me pet it today...)
Blue jay – Cyanocitta cristata
House finch – Carpodacus mexicanus (the first I've seen at the new house arrived in the past month)
House sparrow - Passer domesticus
Killdeer – Charandruis vociferous (not a feeder bird, but I see them all the time)
Mourning dove – Zenaida macroura
Northern cardinal – Cardinalis cardinalis
Ring billed gull – Larus delawarensis (not a feeder bird, but I see them all the time)
Tufted titmouse – Baelophus bicolor
Turkey vulture – Cathartes aura (There is a relatively famous nesting site nearby in Hinckley, OH, there are almost always at least 5 of these in the sky.)
White-breasted nuthatch – Sitta carolinensis

Other birds that have made appearances in the past week, again in Macedonia, OH:
Red tailed hawk – Buteo jamaicensis (My daughters and I saw this attack a turkey vulture, both on the wing, right above my house. I have no idea why, but it was awesome. The turkey vulture got away, but it got its butt kicked.)

Pileated woodpecker – Dryocopus pileatus
Cooper’s hawk – Accipiter cooperii (A first confirmed sighting for me, it was kind enough to sit and call for me several times before flying away.)

I believe I saw a palm warbler as well, but it was a female in the fall and I didn't get a good look, so I can't confirm it.
 
Back in Ghana this month, so.

12/13th October, Accra
Northern Grey-headed Sparrow, Passer griseus
Common Bulbul, Pycnonotus barbatus
Laughing Dove, Streptopelia senegalensis
Pied Crow, Corvus albus
African Thrush, Turdus pelios
(there are two Ghanan ssp, I'll need the bins on it to verify the spp)
Little Green Sunbird, Anthreptes seimundi
Western Grey Plantain-eater, Crinifer zonurus
Long-tailed Cormorant, Phalacrocorax africanus
Black Heron, Egretta ardesiaca
Little Egret, Egretta garzetta
Hooded Vulture, Necrosyrtes monachus

ETA: I have a bit of work to do on the list to ratify my version with Kotatsu's update. I'll get there, I promise!
 
Last edited:
Wigeons weturn

The wigeons have weturned to Clark Park, woo hoo. I had never really given much thought to birds until this thread started and although I had heard they migrated I had never personally observed it. Well today I did. The American wigeon which was one of the first birds I identified have come back to our little corner of the world.

And on a different bird topic, I recently spent some time in Laguna Beach, CA. looking at the birds. These pictures were taken about October 7, 2009.

ruddy turnstone - Arenaria interpres
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ArenariaInterpres_3893.JPG

black turnstone - Arenaria melanocephala
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:ArenariaMelanocephala_3864.jpg

willet - Tringa semipalmata
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:TringaSemipalmata_3897.JPG

black-bellied plover - Pluvialis squatarola
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:PluvialisSquatarola_3808.JPG

Of course, if I have misidentified these birds I'd be very interested in hearing about it.

I also saw western gulls and Heerman's gulls, I think. At low tide the Western gulls dabbled for sea urchins which they were moderately successful at getting. Apparently the stay deeper than about a foot at low tide memo had not been received by quite a few sea urchins on the days I was there.

As an aside, I've put up images with thumbnails before I think, but I couldn't remember how to do it. Could somebody help me? Can you do thumbnails with externally hosted images? Do you need a copy of the smaller image?

I thought the black turnstone image was interesting in that there appeared to be quite a bit of green in the feathers. I hadn't seen that described or in other black turnstone images on the internet.
 
I thought the black turnstone image was interesting in that there appeared to be quite a bit of green in the feathers. I hadn't seen that described or in other black turnstone images on the internet.

The turacos have green color which comes from turacoverdin, the only true green pigment in birds. Other "greens" in bird colors result from a yellow pigment such as lypochrome combined with the prismatic blue physical structure of the feather itself. That's why the brightness and "blueness" can vary so strongly; it's greatly dependent on the viewing angle and lighting.
The head of a male mallard is a familiar example. It also makes identifying birds like glossy starlings a bit of a nightmare. Your average fieldguide illustrations can't really convey the iridescent sheen, and even photographs only capture a single moment.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom