Hi all,
Sorry about the past few months, but I've rapidly become entirely overwhelmed by taxonomic work on my lice, spending 8-10 hours a day in front of a microscope... I haven't even looked in here --- or on several other forums I used to frequent --- for ages. On the other hand, I am nearing some kind of resolution on the genus Lunaceps on both morphological and genetical grounds, and have amassed an impressive amount of literature on the subject...
Since I was last here, I have started writing six articles which I am hoping to be finished with and at least have submitted before the end of the year. So I have kept busy.
The last week has been spent in the field, catching birds of prey and finches in Umeå up North again. We were aiming for Snow Bunting, but they seem to have disappeared. However, going there sort of made me realise that I can't spend all my wake hours either sitting in front of a microscope counting sub-marginal setae of the female gonapophyses (1) or read articles on taxonomy and ecology of ectoparasites (2). So this week, I am taking it a bit easier, and will take time to do something about this mess I have abandoned.
For starters, I will read through this thread today, and start updating my spreadsheet tomorrow (unless someone else has already done that), and I'll try to finish it by the end of the week and send it to EHocking.
---
(1) In essence, I am looking at female genitalia and counting the hairs around their openings. If this sounds like the sort of job you'd like to have, just remember that the genitalia are on organisms that are:
1. 1-2 mm long;
2. Insects;
3. Dead
That sort of takes the glamour out of it, doesn't it? Still, taxonomy can lead you to all sorts of places.
(2) Which raises another question: Notwithstanding that I am working with lice, what will I name the several new species I have discovered during the last year? I have sort of promised to name an owl louse (3) after a good friend of mine who helped me collect some lice from owls once, but more than that?
(3) The same genus, Strigiphilus, has a louse named after Gary Larson. If you look for Strigiphilus garylarsoni on Wikipedia, I think you'll find a link to the original description, and get a glimpse of why Dale Clayton was invited to hold a lecture on bird lice to the Larson family once. For some people, there is still some honour in having a species of organism named after you.