• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Ed Forum birdwatching 2008

Well, I saw it in a park.
I guess we need to be careful about these sorts of birds. If in doubt, refer back to Kotatsu's first post in this thread.

Otherwise I'd be able to claim the Eider, King Eider, Mandarin Duck and American Pelican in St.James' Park. Last one definitely an introduction but a resident of that park only.

This county list from Audubon might be a useful checklist for San Antonio. It notes whether a bird is common to the area or not, i.e.

C= Common: to be expected on an outing
F= Fairly common: should be seen from 1/3 to 2/3 of outings
U= Uncommon: expected to be seen on < 1/3 of outings
R= Rare: rarely seen.
V= Very rare: so unexpected it needs verified documentation.

The Muscovy is not on it, which would imply (but imply only) that this is an escape or a domestic bird.
ETA - The Texas Rare Bird Association IS listing this bird as a rarity that IS appearing in Texas. Perhaps having a closer look at their site and determining what their rules for reporting are, might help decide whether yours was an "escape" as such, or a true rarity. Again, post no.1 here covers what Kotatsu requires (and don't worry, had to convince Kotatsu to get my Nightingale allowed! Even the Chiffchaffs are early this year and a Swallow has been reported in Scotland, v.early)

My 2c worth only. Hope the list helps anyway.
 
Last edited:
I guess we need to be careful about these sorts of birds. If in doubt, refer back to Kotatsu's first post in this thread.

Otherwise I'd be able to claim the Eider, King Eider, Mandarin Duck and American Pelican in St.James' Park. Last one definitely an introduction but a resident of that park only.
Just on rereading this, this comment sounds a little condescending - it wasn't meant to be. I was just being a little absurd and should have bunged in a light-hearted smiley, or something.

I only have a 2nd edition Nat.Geo.Soc field guide for North America, so it's comments on Muscovy is probably out of date, "Recent sightings along the lower Rio Grande are believed to be wild birds from Mexico".

"Recent" in this case being 1987 when it was published.

Perhaps the Audubon Society in near you might be interested in this sighting as well as us;)?
 
Just on rereading this, this comment sounds a little condescending - it wasn't meant to be. I was just being a little absurd and should have bunged in a light-hearted smiley, or something.

I only have a 2nd edition Nat.Geo.Soc field guide for North America, so it's comments on Muscovy is probably out of date, "Recent sightings along the lower Rio Grande are believed to be wild birds from Mexico".

"Recent" in this case being 1987 when it was published.

Perhaps the Audubon Society in near you might be interested in this sighting as well as us;)?

'sokay - I didn't take it personal.

I just always assume Muscovy ducks are wild because who would want one of the ugly things? Looks like a buzzard with a duckbill, not like a proper duck at all.
 
'sokay - I didn't take it personal.
Good, the tone of it bugged me all afternoon and I was very aware of the pitfalls of badly written posts being misinterpreted.
I just always assume Muscovy ducks are wild because who would want one of the ugly things?
Someone BRED hairless cats. Some people are just odd.
Looks like a buzzard with a duckbill, not like a proper duck at all.
Eye of the beholder, although they do look like they've gone a round with Tyson (no ears, see?).

On a trip to East Africa quite a few years back, I think I was the only one of the group that didn't think vultures were ugly, even the Lappet-faced. Then again I also liked hyenas (OK, the Brown isn't THAT attractive).
 
Good, the tone of it bugged me all afternoon and I was very aware of the pitfalls of badly written posts being misinterpreted.Someone BRED hairless cats. Some people are just odd.Eye of the beholder, although they do look like they've gone a round with Tyson (no ears, see?).

On a trip to East Africa quite a few years back, I think I was the only one of the group that didn't think vultures were ugly, even the Lappet-faced. Then again I also liked hyenas (OK, the Brown isn't THAT attractive).

I like hyenas, especially the spotted ones, except when they're eating baby rhinos.
 
Spotted a native bird today (well, a pair of them).

'Apapane - Himatione sanguinea

If the 'okina (') banjaxes the spreadsheet, you can leave it off. I tried to get pictures as well, but have learned that I am a crappy wildlife photographer. If anyone would like pictures of amorphous green blobs and a red blur, I can provide them. If anyone wants recognizeable birds, you will have to wait. I think I will practice about the yard tomorrow after work.
 
I can add Lesser Black-Backed Gull Larus fuscus to the Swedish list today, as well as nest-building Jackdaws (in a hole in a tree outside the Museum of Natural History here in Gothenburg), but neither are new for the list as such.
 
I can add a new one for the UK. Already had this for Cyprus, but,

1 April, London - Goldfinch Carduelis carduelis
 
Don't know if these have been added to the Florida list:

Yesterday I saw (first heard) a great crested flycatcher. It's a springtime visitor and makes a very distinct "freeeep".

I watched a colony of quaker parrots, big, beautiful green parrots and very noisy. They were perched around electrical line transformers under a magnificent double rainbow. Quite a sight.

Also, red winged blackbirds.
 
A couple new species spotted today (April 4) in Colorado:

Recurvirostra americana American Avocet
Pelecanus erythrorhynchos American White Pelican

In addition to 6 Avocets and about 60 Pelicans, there were 8 Great Blue Herons, a rather loud mob of Red-winged blackbirds and a Red-tailed Hawk All at one small shallow lake just East of Boulder.
 
A few new species spotted today in Colorado:

Anas cyanoptera Cinnamon Teal
Anas discors Blue-winged Teal
Aythya collaris Ring-necked Duck
Gallinago delicata Wilson's Snipe
Streptopelia decaocto Eurasian Collared-Dove

Also sighted several Bald Eagles, large flights of American White Pelicans, a nesting Red Tailed Hawk and a Great Horned Owl.
 
Well I *heard* a Barn Owl last night, but didn't spot it.
The first time I saw one in London, I was standing on our 3rd floor balcony at about midnight when I heard a screech (first thought Aussie Nightjar) and then a flash of white flared out of the trees and disappeared over my head.

I can understand why one of their traditional names is "Ghost Owl". It was a little unnerving to have that screeching white thing burst out of the treeline directly into my face.
 
I've added all of these. Sadly, I have nothing of my own to add, as the weather didn't permit going to the coast last weekend. However, I have plans to go to Hornborgasjön this weekend with my father. Last year it gave me all five European grebes, all seven Swedish dabbling ducks, all the diving ones that can be found inland, most of the bird of prey of Sweden, and a lot more. It is a great place, famous for the large amount of cranes that rest there every year. I believe there are 15.000+ there now!

There's also chances for bitterns, various geese, eagle owl, ring ouzel, grey wagtail, and so on. It's a VERY good place to go to in the spring for bird.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom