• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Former head of GOP comes out

Spindrift

Time Person of the Year, 2006
Joined
Apr 14, 2005
Messages
19,246
Location
Right here!
Former RNC chairman Ken Mehlman came out as gay.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38857056/ns/politics-more_politics/

Over all, no big deal. But I found this quote curious:
He often wondered why gay voters never formed common cause with Republican opponents of Islamic jihad, which he called "the greatest anti-gay force in the world right now."
Join one anti-gay force to fight another anti-gay force?
 
I nominate The Charnel Expanse as the greatest poster in the history of the Internet.
 
I'm glad he'll be working for the forces of good, because he's quite excellent at political organization. However, I do worry about a person who actively denied who he was well into middle age. It's got to warp you somehow.
 
To quote what a friend of mine said about this on Facebook:
"Ok, it's official, if you're anti-gay, from here on in I'm just going to assume you're gay. It's not stereotyping when it's clearly just true. Fred Phelps is going to be found in the sex dungeon of [funny name for gay club]."
 
Wow. I'm just as surprised as I was when Ricky Martin came out.

Clay AIken
Rosie O'Donnell
etc

Who next? Richard Simmons? How about Joe Ratzinger?
 
Last edited:
This guy ran Bush's reelection? The one where he shamelessly appealed to homophobes by pushing that anti-same-sex-marriage Amendment?

And now he says he wants to campaign for gay marriage?

It's almost like he sees the bandwagon heading in that direction, and he might as well get on board.

Not to go all leftysergeant, but...What a hypocritical douchebag.
 
I'm glad he'll be working for the forces of good, because he's quite excellent at political organization. However, I do worry about a person who actively denied who he was well into middle age. It's got to warp you somehow.

In fact, there is a lot of mixed opinion about this in the gay community, from what I've heard. Many think, great, let's use him. And he has said that he wants to work for pro-gay causes.

However, many are not able to move on so quickly, pointing out (and not getting a lot of argument) that this guy may have done more to harm the gay rights movement than anyone in recent memory. It's nice that he is wants to change, but they are wanting him to more strongly renounce his former ways. Not just, "I'm sorry I denied my true self for so long," but more of, "We were wrong to exploit and enflame the anti-gay bigotry for our political gains."

The problem with that statement, I think, is that he ISN'T sorry, because it was so successful at getting candidates elected, and that was his focus. It's one thing to say, "I'm sorry," but if pushed, you end up saying, "but given the circumstances, I would do it again" then it isn't so palatable. I think a lot of the gay community suspects that he really does NOT regret doing what he did, because it got Bush elected. And given that, they aren't willing to forgive.
 
So when is Michael Steele going to come out as black?

It didn't seem possible that you could make a more benighted comment than this one:

Someone want to take up the challenge of explaining how anti-Islamic sentiment in the U.S. differs from anti-Jewish sentiment in pre-WWII Europe?

But you managed to exceed expectations.


You are fortunate libs are supposed to be inoculated from making racist statements, otherwise you would qualify as a racist.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom