• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Drag Shows!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel pretty. Oh, so pretty. And as a 6' 1" man weighing 260 lbs, that isn't weird, at all.

I don't see it.

I've said this a few times in this thread, if you don't accept the premise that drag is bad, then....there's no inherent problem.

Drag is bad, m'kay? So if you dress in drag, that's bad, m'kay? 'Cause drag us bad....
 
The stated purpose of the group is to bring acceptance of LGBTQ and “LGBTQ panic” doesn’t flow as well.

Tbf, the stated purpose of the group is to hire out a very specific type of performer to a very specific type of performance to a very specific young age group. Most of the very specific target audience would have no understanding or resistance to the very specific performers; hell, most of the very specific audience believes in the tooth fairy.

This performance is by adults, doing adult things, for the benefit of adults. Just in front of children.
 
Cross dressing is fun. Widow Twankey, the Principle Boy, Some Like it Hot, Jethrine Beaudine, going fancy dress as a cheerleader. How's it not fun? Why's that even controversial?

I don't think it is controversial. Dressing in drag is something most have us have done at one time or another, usually for an adultish laugh. In addition to a cheerleader Halloween costume, I also recall a Rocky Horror public dress up as a late teen. It can be fun. So is sex and drinking to excess. I just wouldn't mix them with the 5yr old children of strangers, either.
 
I see nothing to suggest that the person on the sex offender registry is the same person on the flyer, other than it placing two images side-by-side. There are no aliases mentioned on the registry, for example. Are you suggesting those two are the same person and, if so, how do you know?

You know that thing you typed your post into, your computer? It's connected to a bunch of things in your home. Other computers, printers, maybe a switch, a router, right? That's called a network. Still with me? Great. Then, your network is connected to lots and lots of other networks. We call all those interconnected networks the internet. Interconnected networks, see? Now, over the internet you can access a vast collection of web pages connected via hyperlinks and URLs called the World Wide Web. That means you and everyone else here have access to everything I do.

"I refuse to look! If I don't see it, it didn't happen!" Pathetic.
 
You know that thing you typed your post into, your computer? It's connected to a bunch of things in your home. Other computers, printers, maybe a switch, a router, right? That's called a network. Still with me? Great. Then, your network is connected to lots and lots of other networks. We call all those interconnected networks the internet. Interconnected networks, see? Now, over the internet you can access a vast collection of web pages connected via hyperlinks and URLs called the World Wide Web. That means you and everyone else here have access to everything I do.

"I refuse to look! If I don't see it, it didn't happen!" Pathetic.

Again, tbf, this is a discussion thread on a skeptics forum. It's not a prompt for every reader to go independently researching every claim made. When a non-opinion claim is made, it's probably just courteous to provide reasonable support. I mean, if we had to research every claim on every thread, we wouldn't have time left to discuss it.
 
Again, tbf, this is a discussion thread on a skeptics forum. It's not a prompt for every reader to go independently researching every claim made. When a non-opinion claim is made, it's probably just courteous to provide reasonable support. I mean, if we had to research every claim on every thread, we wouldn't have time left to discuss it.

Evidence? :duck:
 
That means you and everyone else here have access to everything I do.
That doesn't mean you are relieved of the burden of supporting your own claims.

FWIW, I often try to checkout odd claims to try to get a handle on where they come from, but even when I do, there is no guarantee that what I find will match what the person was specifically referring to. That is why the burden of proof is always on the person making the claim.
 
Speaking of which
There have been a not-insignificant number of drag-storytime performers who have subsequently been arrested for either sex offenses against children or for possession of child pornography.

Not all of them, sure. But enough to be more than a one-off "oopsie!".
Source?

Did we ever get source of numbers behind this statistical breakdown for significance or are we just marking this one down as confirmation bias?
 
You know that thing you typed your post into, your computer? It's connected to a bunch of things in your home. Other computers, printers, maybe a switch, a router, right? That's called a network. Still with me? Great. Then, your network is connected to lots and lots of other networks. We call all those interconnected networks the internet. Interconnected networks, see? Now, over the internet you can access a vast collection of web pages connected via hyperlinks and URLs called the World Wide Web. That means you and everyone else here have access to everything I do.

"I refuse to look! If I don't see it, it didn't happen!" Pathetic.

Perhaps during your extremely ****** explanation of networks you could have listed the fact that a ton of information on the internet is complete and total nonsense. So yes, we have access to read the same stuff you do, we just probably don't visit the same panicky, hateful, ignorant websites that hold the information you visit. That's how the internet works. It's so vast that not everyone goes to the same places. So when you link a ******* random picture with no context to it in a pathetic attempt to force the entire drag community to take responsibility for the mistakes (that have already been corrected) by one library in Texas, it's kind of polite to tell us where you got the mother ******* information from so that it can be verified.

Pathetic indeed.
 
If by "neighborhood" you mean the USA - the box office success of several movies, including movies targeted as "family movies" are clear evidence that you are wrong.

No, it isn't. There is no time-honored tradition of drag performers entertaining generations of children in the USA. I doubt there is in the UK, or anywhere else.
The confusion in this thread is clear evidence that you and several other posters don't know what drag is.

Pantomime isn't drag. Pantomime does not exist in the US. You should keep that in mind. You're uninformed and biased.

Actors aren't doing drag, they're in costume.

None of the movies you're talking about feature characters in drag. They're all disguised as women. That's not drag. What's the central gag of The Birdcage? The drag queen has to tone it way, WAY down to be convincing as a woman.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show features an accurate portrayal of drag. It's the only movie I know of that does. Tim Curry isn't a transvestite, though. He's an actor.
 
The Rocky Horror Picture Show features an accurate portrayal of drag. It's the only movie I know of that does. Tim Curry isn't a transvestite, though. He's an actor.

To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Love, Julie Newmar? Swayze, Snipes, and John can't pronounce his last name showing some real acting chops.
 
No, it isn't. There is no time-honored tradition of drag performers entertaining generations of children in the USA. I doubt there is in the UK, or anywhere else.
The confusion in this thread is clear evidence that you and several other posters don't know what drag is.

Sadly I've been watching mostly bad drag acts in pubs and nightclubs since about 1984, I am sure I will soon work out what it is eh?

Pantomime isn't drag. Pantomime does not exist in the US. You should keep that in mind. You're uninformed and biased.

Since no one has made that claim how is anyone being uninformed? As for biased - I have already admitted that I am, I came of age at a time when drag was under a lot of scrutiny from a feminist angle, so I do have to admit I start with a bias against drag. But despite that I can still tell that you are making silly statements and arguments against drag.

Actors aren't doing drag, they're in costume.

A meaningless distinction, do you really think drag performers spend all their time as their drag character?

None of the movies you're talking about feature characters in drag. They're all disguised as women. That's not drag. What's the central gag of The Birdcage? The drag queen has to tone it way, WAY down to be convincing as a woman.

:D You are not making your case compelling.
The Rocky Horror Picture Show features an accurate portrayal of drag. It's the only movie I know of that does. Tim Curry isn't a transvestite, though. He's an actor.

And most folk who do drag are not transvestites - so no idea what relevance this has to the topic of this thread?
 
Last edited:
No, it isn't. There is no time-honored tradition of drag performers entertaining generations of children in the USA. I doubt there is in the UK, or anywhere else.
The confusion in this thread is clear evidence that you and several other posters don't know what drag is.

Pantomime isn't drag. Pantomime does not exist in the US. You should keep that in mind. You're uninformed and biased.

Actors aren't doing drag, they're in costume.

None of the movies you're talking about feature characters in drag. They're all disguised as women. That's not drag. What's the central gag of The Birdcage? The drag queen has to tone it way, WAY down to be convincing as a woman.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show features an accurate portrayal of drag. It's the only movie I know of that does. Tim Curry isn't a transvestite, though. He's an actor.

I'll take "**** that isn't true for $200" Here's a source that says you're wrong. In fact, it says they do pantomime plays every year at least! They even star the wonderful NPH!!!!

So what were you saying about being uninformed and bias?
 
FWIW, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_pantomime

Obviously, not super popular in the US, but it exists. Also feels like a non-sequitur and off-topic.

I just found it ironic that the guy yelling at everyone else to do research and giving a terrible, terrible explanation of the internet, and how it works, would take the time out to do some basic, beginner level research.
 
Speaking of which


Did we ever get source of numbers behind this statistical breakdown for significance or are we just marking this one down as confirmation bias?

To be fair, as I recall Emily’s Cat doesn’t post on the weekends. I’d be careful reading anything into her silence during these periods.

That said, you can find a number of sex offenders and child abusers in any profession/subgroup. Evidence would not be finding a few, but rather a statistically significant higher proportion.
 
Pantomime isn't drag.
Nobody said it was. But pantomime is very close to drag,, it's part of the same tradition.
Actors aren't doing drag, they're in costume.
Actors commonly refer to wearing costumes identified with the opposite sex as being in drag. Pantomime dames are in drag.
Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie was in drag. Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis in Some Like it Hot were in drag.

No one actually knows if the theatre parlance came first or drag shows.
The Rocky Horror Picture Show features an accurate portrayal of drag. It's the only movie I know of that does.
Just no. Curry's performance is informed in part by the drag tradition, but it couldn't remotely be called an accurate portrayal of drag.
 
Last edited:
The Rocky Horror Picture Show is an accurate portrayal of "Drag"???!!! What the @#*!

If you watch the movie you will clearly see that Frank does not make any attempt to pass has a Woman at all. He is obviously from begining to end a Man. but a Man who wears Female garb because it excites him in some fashion. He is a Transvestite not a "Drag Queen". Further he has tattoos, which at the time were considered quite masculine and he wears a tough Motor Cycle Jacket at times. This puts him into the ranks of what in the 70s was called "Gender@!^$", which was the deliberate combination of very Feminine and very Masculine dress.

And may I pointout Frank describes himself quite explicitly has a Transvestite not a "Drag Queen" or a Female Impersonator.

I would also like to know just how Drag performers are not in costume and not performing like actors.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom