• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Drag Shows!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have friends who do 'Princess Story Hour' and 'Super Hero Story Hour'. Do you think those are also done to be fetishized?

It is truly, deeply, funny how much trouble people have letting go of their initial preconceptions, in this case of drag.

EDIT: Like some people got half mast at Misses Doubtfire and it's everyone else's problem now for some reason.

It's not that. What were Mrs Doubtfire and Some Like it Hot and Bosom Buddies? Comedies. They were solely intended to be a mockery of men trying to pass as women.

Do people attend drag shows to politely applaud the fashion choices? Doubt it. Even Ru Paul still gets big smiles and laughs and whoops.

Drag is fine. It's a form of entertainment, but we are kidding ourselves if we are pretending it isn't done on stage for a laugh. I'm not sure that's the most forward thinking kind of entertainment (laughing at men who present as women), but whatevs.
.
 
#whenithinkaboutthemiItouchmyself

Get real.

Last time I looked around and stomped my feet on the floor and threw stuff I detected a distinct odor of reality. And yet whatever is contained in that hashtag, I'm willing to bet I don't. In fact, I don't think I've ever met anyone in the thing I so naively consider the real world who does. So not only will I refrain from investigating it, but I will question the relevancy of it.

Now fit women in athletic attire....uh oh, oh no, they're heading for the library!
 
It's not that. What were Mrs Doubtfire and Some Like it Hot and Bosom Buddies? Comedies. They were solely intended to be a mockery of men trying to pass as women.

Do people attend drag shows to politely applaud the fashion choices? Doubt it. Even Ru Paul still gets big smiles and laughs and whoops.

Drag is fine. It's a form of entertainment, but we are kidding ourselves if we are pretending it isn't done on stage for a laugh. I'm not sure that's the most forward thinking kind of entertainment (laughing at men who present as women), but whatevs.
.

Ok, let's leave aside that we've already found one thing you agree is a point of drag that isn't sexual fetish (assuming you don't also think comedy is a sexual fetish), yes, sometimes the point is to enjoy the creativity of the fashion choices.

Like with the other examples that you, I guess, agree aren't universally sexual fetish either who also do story hours? Your goalpost move from 'sexual fetish' to 'comedy' doesn't even make sense in this light. Kids often like to have stories told to them by people in cool or pretty costumes. What about this is confusing you?

Your motivations and associations are not universal. I strongly believe this sentence is the root of many of the issues people just won't move away from. If you think drag is all sexual fetish (with some comedy), that's a you problem.
 
No, but I'm sure you'll find that recognizable celebrities are expected to pose for pictures and autographs pretty relentlessly, athletes included.

Yeah, they sure do. Happens all of the time. I'm not sure how it's relevant though.

Do you think a kid who is young enough to attend a story hour would have any reservations about saying "there's the man who wears a dress!"

No, I don't think kids would have any reservations about saying something similar. Probably even being inquisitive by asking, "Why is that man wearing a dress?" or the like. That's good. Kids ask questions all of the mother ******* time. I have a 3 year old granddaughter who is nothing but questions. She even asks "what?" before I finish saying a sentence sometimes. Would I ever hesitate to take her to a Drag Show Story Hour, not that they would ever ******* happen in Grand Forks, North Dakota, but the answer is no. I would have no issues because it sparks creativity, curiousness, and learning how to act in situations that aren't perfectly normal. We call it "experience" where I'm from.

I'm also not under the impression that the men that do this haven't been asked or heard those questions before, by people not as innocent as children.
 
Last edited:
I'd say less, since animals do not particularly care when or where they get a little frisky and often engage in a similar form of sexuality to humans.

I have a friend whose dog would bring his bed out for company and then proceed to hump it for his audience. I would argue that drag queen story times have far less than that.
But no right thinking person thinks children should be exposed to pets. That just leads them down the perverted route that is pet play. First you have a dog then you want to be one.
 
The list of things children should be protected from because someone has them as a paraphernalia.

Pets, balloons, pies to the face, clowns...

Of course so many of these people must think spanking fetishes are good things and should be promoted to kids.
 
Sure, a dancing monkey is greatly entertaining. Then whenever you see a monkey, you expect it to dance for you.
No it's not, it's cruel and exploitative.
No I don't. Perhaps animal abuse doesn't amuse me as much as it evidently does you.
 
Ok, let's leave aside that we've already found one thing you agree is a point of drag that isn't sexual fetish (assuming you don't also think comedy is a sexual fetish), yes, sometimes the point is to enjoy the creativity of the fashion choices.

Like with the other examples that you, I guess, agree aren't universally sexual fetish either who also do story hours? Your goalpost move from 'sexual fetish' to 'comedy' doesn't even make sense in this light. Kids often like to have stories told to them by people in cool or pretty costumes. What about this is confusing you?

Your motivations and associations are not universal. I strongly believe this sentence is the root of many of the issues people just won't move away from. If you think drag is all sexual fetish (with some comedy), that's a you problem.

It's very telling that you added "sexual" to "fetish" five times in the same post, when I never said it. In fact, my examples were non-sexual (mom jeans, Unfashionable dads, straight actors).

So you apparently agree that fetish and sexual fetish are different, or else why qualify it repeatedly? I think it's a strange niche for a storyteller, especially if the idea is "diversity", as claimed. Drag performances have been accepted far, far longer than actual parading sex fetishes. What I'm saying is that this is a somewhat inexplicable theme for story hours, unless the promoters have some kind of fixation on drag, that most don't feel that strongly about one way or the other, when presented as adult entertainment. It's just odd to want to have kids be ready to see...how is it being described here?... flamboyantly cross dressed men. That's a bit quirky, not to say, fixated, unless they also promote other types of normally comical attire? Or is it pretty much just parading the Drag Show that they are into?
 
Last edited:
And, more importantly, so what if it does?

We'll get the Sodom and Gomorrah treatment, that's what, and my homeowner's insurance doesn't cover acts of god.

Anyways...

It looks like the conservative jackbooted thugs have gotten the all ages nationally touring show, A Drag Queen Christmas downgraded to a +18 Mature event.

And just what are these church ladies clutching their pears over the poor innocent children being exposed to?

https://twitter.com/TaylerUSA/status/1603461787340480516
 
It's very telling that you added "sexual" to "fetish" five times in the same post, when I never said it.<>
Fetish:
  • a form of sexual desire in which gratification is strongly linked to a particular object or activity or a part of the body other than the sexual organs.
  • an inanimate object worshipped for its supposed magical powers or because it is considered to be inhabited by a spirit.
:rolleyes:
 
If this is not supposed to be fetishized, why is it a Drag Story Hour at all? Do they also sponsor Mom Jeans Story Hours? Three Seasons Ago Unfashionable Dad Story Hours?
Drag is a highly popular, time honoured form of entertainment. Back in the sixties when I was a kid I used to sit and watch Danny la Rue on the telly with my very conservative great aunts. I might ask why we didn't sit and watch Mom jeans variety show or the unfashionable dad's variety hour.
 
It's very telling that you added "sexual" to "fetish" five times in the same post, when I never said it. In fact, my examples were non-sexual (mom jeans, Unfashionable dads, straight actors).

LMAO! Dude, leaving aside the overwhelming connotation of 'fetish', the conversation you were responding to besides being about people wanting to restrict all drag events to people over the age of 18 was specifically discussing Warp12's view and WWBDD's that the reason to do this is that drag is sexual. Indeed WWBDD's, deeply wrong, argument that drag is all transvestic fetishism as listed in the DSM removes all ambiguity as to what way 'fetish' was being used.

And it's pretty damn funny for you to think that there aren't a lot of people who do have sexual fetishes for the things you listed.

If you really meant to argue that drag is all a non-sexual fetish, well...

So you apparently agree that fetish and sexual fetish are different, or else why qualify it repeatedly? I think it's a strange niche for a storyteller, especially if the idea is "diversity", as claimed. Drag performances have been accepted far, far longer than actual parading sex fetishes. What I'm saying is that this is a somewhat inexplicable theme for story hours, unless the promoters have some kind of fixation on drag, that most don't feel that strongly about one way or the other, when presented as adult entertainment. It's just odd to want to have kids be ready to see...how is it being described here?... flamboyantly cross dressed men. That's a bit quirky, not to say, fixated, unless they also promote other types of normally comical attire? Or is it pretty much just parading the Drag Show that they are into?

...then you're just making another deeply silly argument. This is akin to saying 'why does this character have to be gay/black/a woman'? Reading events have many different themes and drag ones became popular because kids like the colorful outfits and characters, and get a lot of news because of the unlit candles who oppose them.

If the best you can come up with is 'you'd have to be a fetishist to combine these', that still leaves my objection intact. Your motivations and assumptions are not universal. No, one does not need to be a fetishists of any kind to happen upon that theme. Obviously.

I cosplay. One of my costumes is Freddy Fazbear from the horror jumpscare video game 'Five Nights at Freddy's'. Every time I've worn that outfit, of an animation bear haunted by the ghosts of murdered children who come alive at night to brutally kill more people, kids come up and love it. Absolutely adore the costume. Can you see how someone could say, 'hey, that'd be a great thing to read to kids in!' without being a fetishist? No?

Again, that's a you problem.
 
We'll get the Sodom and Gomorrah treatment, that's what, and my homeowner's insurance doesn't cover acts of god.

Anyways...

It looks like the conservative jackbooted thugs have gotten the all ages nationally touring show, A Drag Queen Christmas downgraded to a +18 Mature event.

And just what are these church ladies clutching their pears over the poor innocent children being exposed to?

https://twitter.com/TaylerUSA/status/1603461787340480516

Oh, no! Tayler Hansen is outraged:

All Ages” Drag Queen Christmas Mega Thread &#55358;&#56821;

Yesterday, a blatantly sexualized show meant to groom children was hosted in Austin, TX.

I remember more simple times when these bozos' outrage at this time of year was all about the War of Christmas and how Christians are being discriminated against. Those days almost bring a tear to my eye.
 
Last edited:
I'm going to be very clear here.

Are you claiming that drag shows are not burlesque shows hence not inherently sexual, therefore appropriate for children?
Drag shows are not inherently sexual.

They certainly can be, just like other kinds of stage performance. But there is nothing inherently sexual about wearing the clothes generally associated with a different gender.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom