• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Drag Shows!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you claiming that drag shows are not burlesque shows hence not inherently sexual, therefore appropriate for children? Implying I'm imagining behavior that doesn't occur due to my tiny, feeble, morally panicked mind which is riddled with cishetoronormative isms, phobias and repressed sexual urges?
In the particular case of drag queen story hours, yes, you are imagining things that are not happening due to media driven moral panic.

Why are you talking about portrayal of sexual behavior and media depictions of violence? No one knows what you're trying to say because you haven't typed a single coherent sentence here.
I understand. Those are two of the three things our culture feels we need to protect children from. The third is obscene language.

Not to speak for other people, but when people go all in on trying to stop one of the three, usually the sexuality, it is to the neglect of one or both of the other two. People who balk at their imagined vision of drag queen story hour think nothing of walking around armed. I believe there was even a protest mentioned up-thread on that point.
 
No, I'm discussing transvestic fetishism, which is a paraphilia. That's not a controversial statement. If you'd like to dispute that fact, take it up with the appropriate DSM-6 working group. I doubt they'll find "Because...no." convincing.

But drag isn't necessarily a fetish. It might just be gender fluidity. Or, it could even be a performance art. You can't just assume its fetishism.
 
The existence of sexually charged drag no more means that drag is inherently sexual and must be kept from anyone under the age of eighteen than the existence of lap dances means that ballet is inherently sexual and must be kept from anyone under the age of eighteen. (Yes, I'm aware that ballet also has a sexually charged history.)
 
The existence of sexually charged drag no more means that drag is inherently sexual and must be kept from anyone under the age of eighteen than the existence of lap dances means that ballet is inherently sexual and must be kept from anyone under the age of eighteen. (Yes, I'm aware that ballet also has a sexually charged history.)

I feel the the plot of Footloose starting to form from this discussion.
 
If this is not supposed to be fetishized, why is it a Drag Story Hour at all? Do they also sponsor Mom Jeans Story Hours? Three Seasons Ago Unfashionable Dad Story Hours?
 
If this is not supposed to be fetishized, why is it a Drag Story Hour at all? Do they also sponsor Mom Jeans Story Hours? Three Seasons Ago Unfashionable Dad Story Hours?

Why do you put flashing lights on movie marquees? To attract attention. According to wikipedia,
Drag Queen Story Hour (DQSH), Drag Queen Storytime, Drag Story Time, and Drag Story Hour are children's events first started in 2015 by author and activist Michelle Tea in San Francisco with the goals of promoting reading and diversity.
I guarantee you that young kids will pay more attention to the flashy drag queen putting on dramatic reading than the unfashionable dad.

eta: Was Monty Python fetishizing drag in their comedy sketches or was it just part of their performance?
 
Last edited:
Why do you put flashing lights on movie marquees? To attract attention. According to wikipedia,
I guarantee you that young kids will pay more attention to the flashy drag queen putting on dramatic reading than the unfashionable dad.

Sure, a dancing monkey is greatly entertaining. Then whenever you see a monkey, you expect it to dance for you.

eta: Was Monty Python fetishizing drag in their comedy sketches or was it just part of their performance?

We could look at that, even setting aside that the Pythons were deliberately trying to be ridiculous.

Shall we start with the Lumberjack Skit?
 
No, I'm discussing transvestic fetishism, which is a paraphilia. That's not a controversial statement. If you'd like to dispute that fact, take it up with the appropriate DSM-6 working group. I doubt they'll find "Because...no." convincing.

That would indicate you are in the wrong thread - the topic of this one is "Drag Shows" - not "transvestic fetishism, which is a paraphilia".
 
No, I'm discussing transvestic fetishism, which is a paraphilia. That's not a controversial statement. If you'd like to dispute that fact, take it up with the appropriate DSM-6 working group. I doubt they'll find "Because...no." convincing.

That would indicate you are in the wrong thread - the topic of this one is "Drag Shows" - not "transvestic fetishism, which is a paraphilia".
 
If this is not supposed to be fetishized, why is it a Drag Story Hour at all? Do they also sponsor Mom Jeans Story Hours? Three Seasons Ago Unfashionable Dad Story Hours?

See the above example I gave of a public library employee dressing up for a reading/sing-a-long, it seems dressing up is not unusual in a library setting.

Making things more interesting for kids is generally a good pedagogical rule-of-thumb.
 
Again, there was nothing in your post that warranted a fresh answer. I'm not even sure where you came up with the government being involved part, tbh. I'm not really interested in debating any of it with you at this point.

“Silencing”
Your stupid word.

I hate your fascism, and say so, but I can not and do not try to silence you.
Only government action can realistically be called “attempt to silence parents’s voices.”

It is a fascist tactic to view any criticism as censorship.
You have that in common with Stalinists.

Wannabe dictators gonna dictate
 
If this is not supposed to be fetishized, why is it a Drag Story Hour at all? Do they also sponsor Mom Jeans Story Hours? Three Seasons Ago Unfashionable Dad Story Hours?

I have friends who do 'Princess Story Hour' and 'Super Hero Story Hour'. Do you think those are also done to be fetishized?

It is truly, deeply, funny how much trouble people have letting go of their initial preconceptions, in this case of drag.

EDIT: Like some people got half mast at Misses Doubtfire and it's everyone else's problem now for some reason.
 
Last edited:
So if you see a baseball player in a restaurant you expect him to start playing baseball for you?

No, but I'm sure you'll find that recognizable celebrities are expected to pose for pictures and autographs pretty relentlessly, athletes included.

Do you think a kid who is young enough to attend a story hour would have any reservations about saying "there's the man who wears a dress!"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom