thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Sep 17, 2001
- Messages
- 35,091
Not yet.Service academies don't have those.
Not yet.Service academies don't have those.
This whole ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ thread has been about meritocracy. Haven't you been paying attention?Politics has never ever been a meritocracy.
Sure they don't, they happily tell the general that their child didn't get in.Service academies don't have those.
I'm not the one who brought politics into it.This whole ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ thread has been about meritocracy. Haven't you been paying attention?
Correct. That was @wareyin, post #19:I'm not the one who brought politics into it.
They do. See: the Trump administrationYou believe that white people get preferential treatment
Holy crap, you actually don't believe people have unconscious biases? Or that unconscious biases affect our decisions? You are aware of the 2003 study "Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field...and that all humans carry unconscious biases that affect hiring decisions. These supposed unconscious biases were supposedly revealed by the implicit bias test (IBT). However, results of the IBT have been shown to not correlate with hiring decisions.
"Other DEI policies include Affirmative Action." [source]DEI is not affirmative action.
See the concluding chapter, "Demise of Affirmative Action in the Age of Diversity," in Terry H. Anderson, The Pursuit of Fairness: A History of Affirmative Action (2004) pp. 217–273.
I think that's right. AA is explicitly about quotas. DEI is nebulous flimflam about invisible power structures that is so stupid only those indoctrinated in college grievance courses could believe it.Once again (I believe I have already said this a couple of times), Affirmative Action can be a policy that DEI incorporates, but it doesn't have to be. DEI is not Affirmative Action and the two are not freely interchangeable.
No, and no.I think that's right. AA is explicitly about quotas. DEI is nebulous flimflam about invisible power structures that is so stupid only those indoctrinated in college grievance courses could believe it.
The quota system was eventually shut down in favor of "goals and timetables", but it was explicitly a part of the Affirmative Action program at UC Davis, which led to the Bakke decision:No, and no.
Justice Lewis Powell, who wrote the pivotal opinion in the case, struck down the affirmative action program at UC Davis’s medical school because it used a quota for minority admissions, but also upheld the constitutionality of considering race....
Bearing in mind that Affirmative action in the United StatesWP is a much broader phenomenon than racial quotas, what would you consider a good example of DEI that we would not find discussed on the affirmative action wiki? From what I can tell, DEI is basically just a rebranding of the original AA concept promulgated by JFK, but I'm happy to overcome my skepticism if we can find aAll affirmative action is DEI. Not all DEI is affirmative action.
You keep getting told that DEI in America is poor implementations and misnamed programs all the way down. You're bound to internalize this information sooner or later.A poor implementation (or a misnamed programme), if it explicitly tried to uphold quotas. How long ago was that?
It is ongoing. MIT, for example, intentionally enrolls roughly equal numbers of male and female applicants despite the number of male applicants being at least double the number of females.A poor implementation (or a misnamed programme), if it explicitly tried to uphold quotas. How long ago was that?
Big if true.We all know the biggest concern for the anti-DEI people is that is a roadblock in the path to apartheid.
I've already linked - several times - to the Australian Public Service diversity and inclusion policy. And yet I keep being asked to provide an example. I'm not going to link to it again. If you missed it the first three times, you're motivated to miss it the next time too.Bearing in mind that Affirmative action in the United StatesWP is a much broader phenomenon than racial quotas, what would you consider a good example of DEI that we would not find discussed on the affirmative action wiki? From what I can tell, DEI is basically just a rebranding of the original AA concept promulgated by JFK, but I'm happy to overcome my skepticism if we can find afewcouple examples of non-AA DEI.