This might be better suited for another thread, but I got to thinking --do we actually really want a free Internet?
(Note that with 'free', I mean free of charge). Do we need to have a platform like YouTube where people upload 500 hours of video a minute? And let's remember, most of those vids are seen a few times and then gather dust in a data centre for decades. I haven't been able to find a definite number, not to mention sources, but think about how many videos on YouTube have zero views. Do we need to be able to upload and store videos for free?
Apply this to other fields. Do we need chatbots you can ask lots of questions to without paying? Sure, it's more democratic as people with no or low income also get access, and that of course goes for everything from email to Word online, but when you think about how much power and water they consume, should ChatGPT for example really be free of charge?
Also, I imagine that the more you pay for services, the harder it'd be for providers to justify collecting data to give away/sell to third parties. Idealistic, sure, but also a possibility.