• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Cancel culture IRL Part 2

You just presented stories. Not evidence. No names or any specific details makes this meaningless. It's like Donald saying "some or most people say" when it's just as likely he pulled it out of his ass. Not saying you are doing the same. But with nothing to review, these stories offer little to consider.
Well, when I can convince my brain to open up whatever memory hole it stored things from a decade ago in that have no immediate bearing on my day to day life, I'll get back to you.

If you wish to pretend things don't exist until I provide you notarized forms in triplicate, that's fine. You do you, boo.
 
Well, when I can convince my brain to open up whatever memory hole it stored things from a decade ago in that have no immediate bearing on my day to day life, I'll get back to you.

If you wish to pretend things don't exist until I provide you notarized forms in triplicate, that's fine. You do you, boo.
I'm not saying you don't have that memory. But it is likely there is more to these stories than what you remember. Or that you were even aware of at the time you were presented them. And it seems very possible there are details to the stories which would present a very different perspective. I have no fair way to judge whether the stories should inform my views.
 
I'm not saying you don't have that memory. But it is likely there is more to these stories than what you remember. Or that you were even aware of at the time you were presented them. And it seems very possible there are details to the stories which would present a very different perspective. I have no fair way to judge whether the stories should inform my views.

For many years at Evergreen State, minority students and faculty members have observed a Day of Absence in which they met off campus to discuss campus issues and how to make the college more supportive of all students. Later a Day of Presence reunites various campus groups. While some have objected to the way the Day of Absence worked previously, it was the 2017 version that brought scrutiny on campus and national attention.

Last year, organizers said that on the Day of Absence, they wanted white people to stay off campus.

Bret Weinstein, a biology professor, posted a message on a campus email list in which he objected to the proposal to ask white people to avoid campus.

"There is a huge difference between a group or coalition deciding to voluntarily absent themselves from a shared space in order to highlight their vital and underappreciated roles (the theme of the Douglas Turner Ward play Day of Absence, as well as the recent Women's Day walkout), and a group encouraging another group to go away," Weinstein wrote. "The first is a forceful call to consciousness, which is, of course, crippling to the logic of oppression. The second is a show of force, and an act of oppression in and of itself."

Weinstein went on to say he would be on campus on the Day of Absence and would encourage a similar stance by white people being asked to stay away. People should "put phenotype aside," he said. "On a college campus, one's right to speak -- or to be -- must never be based on skin color."

That email was widely shared, promoting threats against Weinstein and calls from student activists for Weinstein to be fired.
 
Last edited:
Weinstein wasn't “cancelled” by any definition I’ve seen used.

One of his classes was broken up by a protest and he felt the school wasn’t doing enough to protect him. He sued the school, got a settlement, and resigned. He went on to become a best-selling author.

Again, not sure where the “cancellation” part was, other than “someone I align with ideologically had something I don’t like happen to them”.

And it should be noted, as per my thesis, multiple posts complaining about some crank professor at a small liberal arts college getting yelled at by students, zero posts from those same posters about the force of government used to fire hundreds of people over their comments about Charlie Kirk.
 
Weinstein wasn't “cancelled” by any definition I’ve seen used.

One of his classes was broken up by a protest and he felt the school wasn’t doing enough to protect him. He sued the school, got a settlement, and resigned. He went on to become a best-selling author.

Again, not sure where the “cancellation” part was, other than “someone I align with ideologically had something I don’t like happen to them”.

And it should be noted, as per my thesis, multiple posts complaining about some crank professor at a small liberal arts college getting yelled at by students, zero posts from those same posters about the force of government used to fire hundreds of people over their comments about Charlie Kirrk.

I agree. He wasn't canceled. He wasn't fired.

But at least Emily presented a story with details that wasn't vague. We can evaluate this story.
 
Last edited:
I agree. He wasn't canceled. He wasn't fired.

But at least Emily presented a story with details that wasn't vague. We can evaluate this story.

Yeah, I guess. It just turned out to be a pointless, laughably low stakes story.
 
It should be mentioned, by the way, that Weinstein is an anti-vaxxer, so this was a good result all around.

He got a pay out and a first class ticket on the “cancel culture” grift gravy train and we no longer have a dangerous crank poisoning the minds of our youth.
 
lol bret weinstein. that’s like litter boxes in the bathroom level stuff. like if jordan peterson had a ◊◊◊◊◊◊◊ brother instead of a diet scammer daughter
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom