• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Cont: Brexit: Now What? 9 Below Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
And why is there this lack of evidence? Because of Corbyn/McDonnell sheer pig-headedness. That's why.

That may be the truth but failure to cede indicates that they put the maintainence of such fantasy above national interest.

Corbyn is probably fine with no deal just as long as he isn't blamed. Hopefully consensus wisdom will start to blame him soon.

On what planet is JC stopping Ken Clarke coming forward and syaing he has rhe support of thr rebel tories, lib dem and snp and only needs labour to step up?

Planet blame JC.
 
It's not merely unlikely to happen; it's impossible, because if Charles succeeds his mother he will be Charles III of both England and Scotland and Charles I of the UK.
I think I read that he was planning to adopt another name as king, though I can't remember what it was.
 
I understand that the Royal family is a net financial benefit to the UK.

Estimates that I have read suggest that the Sovereign Grant is costing UK taxpayers £82.2m this financial year. However they are said to contribute £1.8 billion to the economy of which £550 million comes from added tourism. These numbers appear to be debatable but it is evident that the Royal family is less costly than a popularly elected (or Parliamentary appointed) head of state.

In any case, there is little popular support for a UK Republic.

And you believe that? And the UK is a Republic.
 
I looked it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles,_Prince_of_Wales#Titles_and_styles

There has been speculation as to what regnal name the prince would choose upon his succession to the throne. If he uses his first name, he would be known as Charles III. However, it was reported in 2005 that Charles has suggested he may choose to reign as George VII in honour of his maternal grandfather, and to avoid association with the Stuart kings Charles I (who was beheaded) and Charles II (who was known for his promiscuous lifestyle),[267] as well as to be sensitive to the memory of Bonnie Prince Charlie, who was called "Charles III" by his supporters.[267] Charles's office responded that "no decision has been made".[268]
 
UK Channel 4 have a brilliant satirical sitcom called "The Windsors" about the Royal Family
 
It really starts looking like EU agreeing to an extension giving time to hold a referendum between status quo (equals stay), and a set list of arrangements for leaving.
Thus some semblance of order and reason will return. This would take a year but everyone could plan properly.


Is there some reason to think that further time to plan will be employed any more usefully or with any better results than the time they have had so far?
 
I think I read that he was planning to adopt another name as king, though I can't remember what it was.
I think it was George but that's really boring. Edward VII was Bertie to his friends, and Edward VIII was I think David.
George has this advantage, that the correct regnal number is the same in England, Scotland and Britain and it is the only established Hanoverian kingly name of which that is true. Because All the George's have reigned subsequently to the Union of parliaments, and further unforced slights to the Scots in the matter even of royal names are now to be avoided.

Yesterday's Indy demo in Edinburgh was huge.
 
Last edited:
It's remarkable that both Labour and the conservative party have apparently ran out of credible leadership alternatives at the same time. After Gordon Brown Labour managed to scrape up Ed Miliband from the bottom of the barrel. Since they could apparently not find any worse moderate candidate left to replace him the stage was left for extremists like Corbyn simply by default.

The same situation has played out in the Conservative party. After David Cameron there was Theresa May simply because no other candidate wasn't disliked enough, and after her Boris Johnson faced no serious challengers.
 
:rolleyes:
If course it would...

Will you be supporting this claim with evidence or just expecting everyone to believe whatever you say, as usual.
One poster put support at 30% currently.

Even if support for a republic exceeded 50% there is still the problem of what form the republic should take. Should a president be elected or appointed by parliament? Should the president head the executive (as in the US) or should he be largely ceremonial only?

A lot of people would rather vote for the status quo than vote for a republican model they didn't agree with. That's what happened in Australia in 1999.
 
Does your economic argument include all the income from their 'personal' investments and crown estates that can be repatriated
As I understand it, the Sovereign grant is a rebate on taxes earned from the Royal properties (no doubt, a gaggle of posters will point out how wrong and ignorant I am).

Sure, if the government seized Royal properties without paying compensation then the taxpayers would get a windfall. But I don't think that McDonald's Castle would be as big a tourist attraction.

And you believe that? And the UK is a Republic.
I provided the links to back up my numbers. If you don't like them then you are welcome to put up your own - especially the ones that say the UK is a republic.
 
As I understand it, the Sovereign grant is a rebate on taxes earned from the Royal properties (no doubt, a gaggle of posters will point out how wrong and ignorant I am).

Sure, if the government seized Royal properties without paying compensation then the taxpayers would get a windfall. But I don't think that McDonald's Castle would be as big a tourist attraction.


I provided the links to back up my numbers. If you don't like them then you are welcome to put up your own - especially the ones that say the UK is a republic.
In that case it would be the UR. Tourists visit Versailles even if there are no monarchs there, so I think the attractions of monarchs with their heads still attached, as objects for tourists, are overestimated. Once they're gone the availability of abandoned royal residences for tourist visits will even increase significantly anyway.
 
Once again, Boris Johnson continues the "we could have a deal if only the foreigners would accept all out demands" message:

Boris Johnson has claimed his Brexit proposals have picked up support in Parliament as he urged the European Union to compromise.

Writing in two Sunday papers he said: "We are leaving in 25 days. We can do it with a deal if the EU is willing."

Meanwhile, Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay told the EU and opposition MPs: "We are not backing down."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49950188

I do find it puzzling how such obviously unacceptable (to the EU) and unworkable proposals have gained so much support in Parliament. Presumably it's all part of the "avoiding the blame for no deal"
 
I suspect what may stop Corbyn playing self-important silly buggers and stand aside, would be emergence of perception that in the final analysis it was largely his fault the country left with no deal, because there was a clear chance to avert it that was ruined by Corbyn's Jo Swinson's personal brand of stupid.

FIFY
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom