• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Breakfast and plans for the 12th

Hutch

A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barret
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
6,878
Location
About 7 Miles from the Saturn 5B
Well, except for the folks stuck stuffing packets, it appears that Wednesday the 12th is pretty clear, so I offer the following suggestions to any other early arrivals.

I will break my fast at the Coco Palms Buffet at the Stardust (buffets aren't quite the great price deal they once were, but if you bring a healthy appetite you won't have to eat until much later in the day) at 0800 hours. I'll be out in front of the Buffet at least 10 minutes prior to that--just look for a 6'2", 270lb almost-bald guy with glasses (shouldn't be more than 5-6 of us like that) in a Red Shirt with "Cairo" on the upper left.

From breakfast anyone who wants to join me can help determine plans for the day. I've been to Hoover Dam and wouldn't mind seeing it again, along with any other suggestions that might be offered. I have a mini-van, so up to 6-7 folks (depending on how cosy we want to be) can be accomodated, and hopefully there may be other drivers in the group. Long as we're back in time to pick up Eos at the airport at 11pm, I'll go most anywhere folks want to (the Mustang ranch, however, is not an option!)

I'll let someone else make meeting and organization plans for Thursday the 13th. This is about as organized as I get.
 
We definitely need to set something up for the 12th. It's my birthday and Kitten's!

I'll arrive at 9am, and will go to my room for the rest of the afternoon, to rest after that long flight. But we should do something at night, of course we do!
 
I suggest a birthday party at a drinking establishment, preferably one with good music and enough dancing-space.

We need Moe Faux for input here ...

How many people will already be there the 12th BTW?
 
I'll be in late. My darn flight has been pushed up to a later time. I'll be rather well rested from sleeping on the plane. If anybody can let me know where you'll be at between 11 p.m. and 12 a.m. that night?
 
I'm in, early afternoon...not scheduled to stuff envelopes, but might do anyway....just so I am somewhere instead of nowhere...
 
Yes, Exarch!

Let's set something up right now, so that latecomers will get to know where we are and show up there. Eos will just drop her stuff in the hotel room and then go meet us!

If we get a place and an address, we set up to meet at the lobby at the appointed time, if someone misses us, can go there straight. No one will get lost.

Sooo??
 
Luciana Nery said:
Yes, Exarch!

Let's set something up right now, so that latecomers will get to know where we are and show up there. Eos will just drop her stuff in the hotel room and then go meet us!

If we get a place and an address, we set up to meet at the lobby at the appointed time, if someone misses us, can go there straight. No one will get lost.

Sooo??

Or people can pass out cel phone numbers to late arrivals by pm. In case plans change.
 
Originally posted by Loon
Or people can pass out cel phone numbers to late arrivals by pm. In case plans change.
Speaking of which, I was thinking of bringing along my cellphone and buying one of those rechargeable cards from a local cell-phone provider, since I'll need to make arrangements with so many different people ...
 
That might be a very good idea. In TAM1, considering I didn't know anyone personally, I took a cell phone with me. Never used it, but it was nice to know it was there, it could have been very useful. If you're staying for more than a few days, it would be something really intelligent to do.

I'll have to drag Moe to this thread. And Kittteeeeenn, where are you????
 
Loon said:
Or people can pass out cel phone numbers to late arrivals by pm. In case plans change.

A small amount of cell phone coordination was done last year.

I still have one skepchic’s phone number from last year. It is available to any skepdude for $1,000,000.

Seriously, it is a good way to locate people. But we almost need a central source for the phone numbers.
 
Luciana Nery said:
That might be a very good idea. In TAM1, considering I didn't know anyone personally, I took a cell phone with me. Never used it, but it was nice to know it was there, it could have been very useful. If you're staying for more than a few days, it would be something really intelligent to do.

I'll have to drag Moe to this thread. And Kittteeeeenn, where are you????

I'm finishing up finals. Almost done!

I'm very flexible. I don't drink (even though I'm turning 21), but I am up for a night of good food and dancing and such!

If you leave it up to me, we'll all be going for a nightime hike / picnic in Red Rocks, so you'd better figure out the social scene and drag me a long.

Kitten
 
Suezoled said:
Arriving at 10am-ish... so can I walk to the Stardust?


If you like 6-7 mile hikes, sure. ;) Otherwise there is a variety of taxis/shuttle buses that will bring you in.

Or appeal to my better nature (not that I have one, mind you) or work your feminine wiles upon me (much more effective) to give you a ride from the airport.

Anything that keeps me away from the Blackjack tables is going to be appreciated by my budget.
 
Originally posted by Doubt
Seriously, it is a good way to locate people. But we almost need a central source for the phone numbers.
Someone to play switchboard? :D

Well, depending on how much calls would cost, and how much call-credit a default card has (i.e. I don't want to have to recharge the damn thing every day), I might be persuaded to play switchboard and relay messages and such. After all, any phonenumbers I may store on that card will remain on that card, which will probably end up somewhere in a drawer once I'm back home.

Then again, Typical calls may sound like this:

*phone rings*
Me: Hi, this is exarch, who is this?
Skeptic: Hello, it's [fill in name of sceptic]. Do you know where Girl 6 and her group are?
Me: Ehm, some place called [name of restaurant] if I recall correctly.
Skeptic: Where is that?
Me: Ehm, ..... I don't know exactly .....
Skeptic: OK, so where are you guys?
Me: ..... ehm? .....
*Turns to other skeptics nearby*
Me: Well, as far as we kow, we're somewhere on the strip, near some place with flashy lights and lots of people.
Skeptic: ..... ehm? ..... Never mind :(
Skeptic: CLICK

In other words, maybe Moe would be a better person to coordinate something like this.
I'm willing to play phone-book though :)
 
I'll be arriving on the 11th, so count me in for breakfast. I'm also stuffing packets that day but I'd imagine I could do both. Hey - I've got two hands.
 
exarch said:
Someone to play switchboard? :D

Well, depending on how much calls would cost, and how much call-credit a default card has (i.e. I don't want to have to recharge the damn thing every day), I might be persuaded to play switchboard and relay messages and such. After all, any phonenumbers I may store on that card will remain on that card, which will probably end up somewhere in a drawer once I'm back home.


More like a directory than a switchboard.

A good chunk of us have cell phones. I have one with a nationwide calling plan. So no long distance problems and I am almost never in “roam” mode.

But I can bet that a good chunk of people will not want their numbers available to everyone. So I am not sure exactly how to make that idea work if somebody wants their number available to some people and not others.

The basic idea is simple enough. If you want someone to able to find you during the trip, you make your number available to the other people who need to know. Much easier if there is a central person to ask.

In my case, I have no issues with people knowing my cell number. Within certain obvious limitations, I could handle the task. But I would not respond to calls when I am sitting in the hall listening to a presentation.

There is also the use of SMS on phones for those of use that have that feature. Unfortunately, I do get charged per message for that sort of thing. One way to make that sort of thing cheap would be to establish a network or chain. Person X has a plan to grab a meal or do something. Person X contacts the person at the top of the network and has them send out the message to two other people. Those two people then send it on to two other people and so on……

But that is getting complicated. May just be easier for a few of us to trade cell phone numbers. I can make my number available to anyone who needs it via PM.
 
Hutch said:
If you like 6-7 mile hikes, sure. ;) Otherwise there is a variety of taxis/shuttle buses that will bring you in.

Or appeal to my better nature (not that I have one, mind you) or work your feminine wiles upon me (much more effective) to give you a ride from the airport.

Anything that keeps me away from the Blackjack tables is going to be appreciated by my budget.

Well, if it's in your schedule to be able to pick me up after I arrive to go to wherever (Stardust, breakfast, brunch, etc), let me know. That would be nice. Otherwise, I'll be forced to kick your @ss because I know I'm going to see you eventually, and your lack of generosity will grate on frayed nerve endings.

Oh, wait..that's not being very feminine or wiley, is it...?
 
Luciana Nery said:
Sooo.... let's set up something for the night of the 12th???
Hey, it's your birthday, so I will go along with whatever your choice is. But I'm there.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom