• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

BBC Horizon: Can We Make a Star on Earth?

Brian Cox isn't bad as a presenter. But then I remember the likes of Raymond Baxter, James Burke, and more recently Adam Hart-Davis who clearly had a passion for what they were doing and could communicate well.
 
A couple years ago in a letter to Guitar World, a young man described his father walking in and seeing the son's Guitar World mag on the coffee table.

Dad looks down and disparagingly asks... "So, who's the rocket scientist?".

The cover story was, of course... Brian May.

Oops. :D
 
I think it's great he can engage with teenagers really - I had a monotone A'Level biology tutor who was chronic. The exageration in the script and emphasis in the pronounciation is annoying to some adults though I suppose but then who gives a ****.

It's mostly the smiling which grates though....like he's so damn pleased with himself! Nauseating youthful celebrity professor!

Must...not....player hate....hgnnnnnnnn

I don't think that he is pleased with himself, he just seems pleased to be able to get the chance to talk about his passion on TV. He doesn't come across as being big-headed.
 
A couple years ago in a letter to Guitar World, a young man described his father walking in and seeing the son's Guitar World mag on the coffee table.

Dad looks down and disparagingly asks... "So, who's the rocket scientist?".

The cover story was, of course... Brian May.

Oops. :D

He didn't say 'What's King Charles II doing on the cover'?
 
I'm sure he will be pointing and things are telling us it is all really, really fantastic!

Watched a lot of these, have we!!!? But, do you think he will do some of it on the top of a mountain - and look awed but inspired??
 
Are you aware that females and males are two sub-classes of the group teenagers? And teenagers of both genders eventually become women and men?

I thought the same as you until I read it a few times - and realised she wasn't saying 'He inspires an interest in science in teenagers and women' but 'He inspires an interest in women'.

Phil
 
I wonder if he knows pi to more than 2 decimal places? :)

Dara Ó Briain completed his Leaving Certificate in Ireland with 9 'A's at honours level and attended University College Dublin and studied mathematics and physics so it is a fair bet that he does.
 
Last edited:
Dara Ó Briain completed his Leaving Certificate in Ireland with 9 'A's at honours level and attended University College Dublin and studied mathematics and physics so it is a fair bet that he does.

Sure ... ! was replying to the comment by 3point14 :)
 
A year or two back there was an episode of Question Time with "Brian Cox" on the discussion panel, but when screened, this turned out to Brian-the-Scottish-Actor-Cox, rather than Brian-the-Rock-n-Roll-Physicist-Cox.

Well, since Brian-the-Scottish-Actor-Cox seemed an unusual choice (with nothing to promote etc), and Brian-the-Rock-n-Roll-Physicist-Cox is one of the Beeb's favourite flavours, there seemed like more than a suspicion that a booker for the programme, told to see if "Brian Cox" was available, reached for Spotlight (or whatever they use these days), and booked the wrong one ...

If true I'd have like to have heard the conversation behind the scenes as the guests arrived :)

To be fair, Brian-the-Scottish-Actor-Cox was really rather good, and as I recall, did a nice job of deflating David-the-Snobby-Historian-Starkey.
 
A year or two back there was an episode of Question Time with "Brian Cox" on the discussion panel, but when screened, this turned out to Brian-the-Scottish-Actor-Cox, rather than Brian-the-Rock-n-Roll-Physicist-Cox.

Well, since Brian-the-Scottish-Actor-Cox seemed an unusual choice (with nothing to promote etc), and Brian-the-Rock-n-Roll-Physicist-Cox is one of the Beeb's favourite flavours, there seemed like more than a suspicion that a booker for the programme, told to see if "Brian Cox" was available, reached for Spotlight (or whatever they use these days), and booked the wrong one ...

If true I'd have like to have heard the conversation behind the scenes as the guests arrived :)

To be fair, Brian-the-Scottish-Actor-Cox was really rather good, and as I recall, did a nice job of deflating David-the-Snobby-Historian-Starkey.

 
Hmmm, having now watched the doco I get the feeling fusion isn't likely any day soon. Bugger.
Yes, I went to a talk at a local science group last year, it's one of those things that's always just over the horizon.

It's no use unless it's boiling water :D

As you learn about nuclear power, there's that jaw dropping moment when you realise that's exactly what all this atom-splitting (or fusing) high technology is being used for, and that power stations are basically just steam engines.
 
As you learn about nuclear power, there's that jaw dropping moment when you realise that's exactly what all this atom-splitting (or fusing) high technology is being used for, and that power stations are basically just steam engines.
Well, steam turbines that have 70-80% efficiency. I expect if someone can come up with a more efficient industrial-scale transfer method ...
 
Well, steam turbines that have 70-80% efficiency. I expect if someone can come up with a more efficient industrial-scale transfer method ...

A steam turbine is a particular type of steam engine. The point remains that it can come as a surprise to realise that the end result of the billions of pounds of research and advanced physics is just another way of boiling water. :)
 
A steam turbine is a particular type of steam engine. The point remains that it can come as a surprise to realise that the end result of the billions of pounds of research and advanced physics is just another way of boiling water. :)

I want a nuclear kettle!
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom