Chanakya
,
- Joined
- Apr 29, 2015
- Messages
- 5,873
You have been answered clearly
No, I really hadn't been, not so far! But it's cool, no issues. You've done that now, with this post, as far as the first of the two questions I'd been trying to explore.
- the current AIs can produce content that has not existed before in this universe (or at least in our light cone). The question you seem to want to ask is really are they “creative” in the same way humans are “creative”?
No no, what I was asking wasn't so very nuanced. In fact, I don't even know what that nuance actually means! Your first sentence answers my question fully. That's exactly what I was asking, whether that story of yours, for instance, is the derivative "slop" that's everywhere these days, or if it is actually original, as in not wholly derivative.
But I'd just like to explore your view of this just a bit more, if I may. I mean your view that AI can indeed produce original work. Just how original, that part let's explore just a bit.
Where I was coming from is this: There's some/many humans that produce work that's technically original, but for all practical purposes derivative. That's human slop. (You see what I'm saying? If Roko had basically just pieced together bits and pieces, not just something only somewhat related like Pascal but actually closely similar: then, while that wouldn't have been original in the sense I meant, but it would still have been original human work if you take the whole bunch of ten, or twenty, or fifty humans whose work Roko drew from. ...Can AI do that, is what I was wondering: can just one AI, or even a whole bunch of as many AI bots as you like, get together and put something together that's original, in the sense of not being derivative, in the sense of not simply being an amalgam of what it's seen a lot of humans right.)
And you answer that with a definite Yes now. Which is cool. I'm happy to take that onboard, absolutely
And the answer to that is a clear no, current AIs do not think like humans, they mimic human behaviour with different processes than what produces our human behaviour. But why do they have to be the same as humans to be “creative”? You’ll note I’ve used scare-quotes around creative, that’s because 1) it is a very ill defined word 2) I think the current generative AIs have revealed what we used to consider the domain of humans, that required something special (as in biological process not a soul or any form of dualism) is not the case.
Eh, this, no, this isn't what I was referring to at all. Where I was going with this was more straightforward, like I explained earlier in this post. This, what you're talking about here, I'm afraid I don't even know what that means, really! ...But still, although wholly different than what I was talking about myself, but still, this is interesting, I'd never given this any thought! ...Maybe you could spell this out a bit more: What would be a story-or-scenario-with-human-thoughts be exactly, and how would it differ from a story-or-scenario-with-non-human-AI-thoughts?
(My definition of “creativity” is producing something coherent that has not existed before. I’ve posted several examples of this, including the program I created entirely with much older - 6 months or so ago - versions of AI, that program had never existed before.)
Mine as well. Except, I'm just further trying to distinguish merely technically original but entirely derivative --- which is what I suspect AI so far is, although like I said happy to change my mind on this if warranted --- from what we'd unequivocally would say is original, even if there's some trace derivative elements.
Like that story of yours? If we find that AI has cobbled together bits and pieces from like 50 different stories, or even 100 different stories, and simply pieced them together coherently enough without adding any completely novel touches: well that's original but derivative. A truly original human story on the other hand, while sure there may be some elements that are derivative, but the core of it is ...well, not derivative. Do you think AI is capable of such? Either one AI, or a bunch of as many AI bots as needed working together?
If the short answer to the paragraph immediately above is a Yes --- and if you're sure you know this, as opposed to that being simply an impression (like my own view is) --- well then, in that case, sure, AI can indeed do a Roko. That's the first part of what I'm asking.
----------
And the second part of what I was asking, that's so far not been touched on yet, at least not in the posts in these last two pages: The critical thinking bit? Not all humans do this, I know, or do it always: but definitely humans are capable of critical thinking. Do you think AI is able to, as well, AI so far? Like, if there had been nothing like Roko's basilisk, nor even Pascal's Wager: and then someone out of the blue came out with Roko's basilisk and asked AI to critique it: then can the AI of today do it on its own steam, as opposed to merely aggregating what others have had to say about it?
That's the second part of what I'd been wondering. That is, I was of the firm impression that the answer is an emphatic No, so far at least. Have you any thoughts about this?
Last edited: