FrDo you think that Roko's basilisk really was concocted without drawing on existing human tropes? I can't understand why humans can draw on all kinds of material that they have experienced in their education and upbringing, but for some reason AI's should be able to come up with new material without drawing on earlier works, if they are to be compared to humans.
The point is, and like I said, Roko's Basilisk is a human product. Like I said, even if Roko plagiarized it wholesale from some SF, then call it Sam the SF writer's basilisk. It's still an example of human creativity, even if it was one man drawing on twenty others' ideas.
Can AI do that? Not a rhetorical question, I'm asking. I'm sure those familiar with the innards of AI will know. Some here seems to think it might, but if they know this for a fact, then I wish they'd actually say it, rather than dropping hints that are supposed to ...well, hint, that they know what they are saying.
Like that story Darat supplied? Is it bona fide original AI work? Do we know? Or is it just a slop, an amalgam, of twenty humans' ideas pieced together from different places?
I doesn't have to be fully original, nothing is. Like Pascal's Wager is human-made. And the basilisk obviously draws on it. And yet it is different enough from it in enough respects that, IMV, it's a whole new work. ...
So, prompt AI with Pascal, and tell it to come out with a horror AI scenario, or maybe instead simply ask it to produce a basilisk, an infohazard that curdles your brain: and then, if Moltbook can come out with a Roko, then that qualifies as bona fide original AI work. For this argument, it doesn't have to be one AI, it's fine if twenty bots, or maybe twenty thousand bots, draw on one another to produce it, as long as it's AI work not human, beyond the original prompts I suggested, then it's original AI work.
My question is, Can AI do that? Can AI actually write a story, or produce a Roko's Basilisk, on its own steam? Can it actually do more than parody human creativity?
I'm not arguing that it cannot. I'm trying to find out, in context of what was said, whether it can. Not in theory, not one day, but already, now.
-------
And separately from that: Can AI produce critique of Roko's Basilisk, or indeed of anything, off of its own steam, like I can, like you can? Not just collated from two thousand similar sources that are human-made, but directly basis critical thinking?
And not in theory, not one day, but now?
Again, I'm not arguing it can't. In context of what was said, I'm trying to find out if it can, and if I need to change my impression about present day AI.
----------
If someone actually knows, not just vaguely but with certainty, basis their familiarity with AI and how it actually works, then I wish they'd just say it. I really don't see how I can ask any more clearly than this. Answer not with would-be wise hints, but with a clear answer to a clear question.