In the interest of fairness, I don't really remember Icerat saying that. Maybe I missed it; it's certainly a long thread.
This was from a few days back. I never said, nor believe, that Amway is "the only answer" to anything. Neither have I heard it from anyone I associate with in Amway. Indeed most of things that Newton Trino claimed are "normal" for IBO groups I've never encountered in my time in Amway with the largest single group in the world. As I've pointed out ad nauseum, despite his denials, Newton Trino has experience with just one group. He claims it is with "multiple lines of sponsorship", but technically every single IBO is a "line of sponsorship" in itself.
All of the groups NT has experience with associated with each other (originally at least) often having seminars together and training materials produced out of the same place by the same people. It would be like him having experience say with Sunni Islam and claiming because it included experience with sub-groups like Wahhabism that he could preclaim all religions throughout the world operated exactly the same way, and offering as "proof" the fact they regularly have meetings, believe in a god(s), and have some holy texts. Wahhabism and Hari Krishna's might have some similarities, but few would think they're the same.
Ok, Tricky hit the reset button. Under moderated status, I'd like to see a reply to the OP. Icerat tried a long time ago, but I can't say I was satisfied with the answer.
I can't see how to make these numbers work without making Amway look bad. I can only imagine that the people who made the ad are counting on the audience not really thinking about what it says.
Well, the very fact your commentating on it shows it wasn't the smartest marketing. Really it comes down to what question are you trying to answer, and can a simple average say anything meaningful? I can make it make Amway look very good.
Let's try one way of looking at it. Alticor sales were $8.2billion. About 100million of that were revenues from outside Amway (not 2 billion as PCJ suggests). 3 million "business owners". Doing the original "math" of a simple divide (with $8.1billion) that's $2700/yr revenues per person.
Is that good or bad? Well, China is Amway's biggest market, and according to a recent Forbes article on Amway China - "to the National Statistics Bureau, the average annual corporate income (in China) is about $5,100."
So one could say the average Amway China IBO has revenues more than half the size of the average Chinese Corporation! Not bad for a part-time business.
Except that wouldn't be true. Amway incomes in China are almost certainly lower than Amway incomes in say, the US. But they're all piled into those 2 numbers.
Then there's all the other factors. The "3 million" figure is a count of everyone who renewed at the end of 2008. It includes people who are IBOs purely to get wholesale pricing. According to data revealed in Team vs Quixtar, in the US only 12.9% of IBOs earn a bonus on downline volume - yet 50% order products (half never even do that!). That means, assuming everyone who was just shopping earned a bonus back on their own shopping, that 74% of IBOs who earned a bonus did so purely as a shopping rebate. That's a pretty big majority, so why not consider that to be the "average" IBO?
What's the "average" income in the US? $115/mth. $115/mth on a shopping rebate is pretty good don't you think! Especially since the average monthly purchase by IBOs in the US is ... $114!! (38PV)
Looks pretty good from that perspective - on average, everyone who joins Amway and buys stuff gets all their stuff for free!
Lies, damn lies, and statistics huh?
The reality is that the data given in the commerical tells you nothing other than that the folk who wrote the commercial didn't think about how people like you would interpret it!
It's waaayyyy too homogeneous a group to be able to say anything much at all statistically, and attempting to do so simply results in ridiculously long and uninformative threads like this one.