• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

A policy I agree with Romney about.

"So far the campaign hasn't said what kind of health insurance Romney has. And it does make a difference."

Why on earh would someone worth hundreds of millions of dollars have health insurance at all? There's no medical condition that could befall him that he couldn't easily afford or would even dent his net worth.
 
"So far the campaign hasn't said what kind of health insurance Romney has. And it does make a difference."

Why on earh would someone worth hundreds of millions of dollars have health insurance at all? There's no medical condition that could befall him that he couldn't easily afford or would even dent his net worth.

Absolutely. But if he wanted to buy insurance, I wouldn't fault him, either. Hospitals are squeamish about admissions with no insurance at all.
 
Absolutely. But if he wanted to buy insurance, I wouldn't fault him, either. Hospitals are squeamish about admissions with no insurance at all.

Though I suspect that Romney is not afraid of that happening either. The privilege that has surrounded his life is not limited to financial wealth.
 
Absolutely. But if he wanted to buy insurance, I wouldn't fault him, either. Hospitals are squeamish about admissions with no insurance at all.

Unless of course you possess the means to purchase the hospital itself. "Yes, I've stopped by for a flu shot. Oh, and I'll take the hospital, as well. Here's a check. Demolish it, then rebuild it exactly as it was only facing the other direction."
 
"So far the campaign hasn't said what kind of health insurance Romney has. And it does make a difference."

Why on earh would someone worth hundreds of millions of dollars have health insurance at all? There's no medical condition that could befall him that he couldn't easily afford or would even dent his net worth.
Not saying this about him specifically, but it seems like a lot of people somehow think that health insurance = health care. "OMG without health insurance, I can't see a doctor or hospital!".

Health insurance is like any other insurance, you get it to avoid unacceptable, unaffordable risk. If you can handle the worst case scenario or are willing to take the risk you are self insured and will come out financially ahead in the long run.
 
Not saying this about him specifically, but it seems like a lot of people somehow think that health insurance = health care. "OMG without health insurance, I can't see a doctor or hospital!".

Health insurance is like any other insurance, you get it to avoid unacceptable, unaffordable risk. If you can handle the worst case scenario or are willing to take the risk you are self insured and will come out financially ahead in the long run.
Why do rich people have credit cards? Yes, there is a fee but it's a great way to keep your expenses itemized and you only have to send a single check. Same with insurance, you can buy a top notch plan and have an advocate that takes care of all the bills and coordinates the bill paying. An insurance card can speed up registration and admission. There is no question as to your financial eligibility and you don't have to prove anything. The insurance company has your back for that. I would have it if I were rich.
 
Why do rich people have credit cards?
Rich people don't carry a balance, they pay it off every month.
Same with insurance, you can buy a top notch plan and have an advocate that takes care of all the bills and coordinates the bill paying. An insurance card can speed up registration and admission. There is no question as to your financial eligibility and you don't have to prove anything. The insurance company has your back for that. I would have it if I were rich.
There's a significant price to be paid for those questionable benefits. I certainly wouldn't pay that price if I was wealthy enough to self insure.
 
Rich people don't carry a balance, they pay it off every month.
Doesn't obviate the point.

There's a significant price to be paid for those questionable benefits. I certainly wouldn't pay that price if I was wealthy enough to self insure.
I certainly would but to be honest I don't know what the cost to benefit analysis is. Do you? Or are we both speculating?
 
Doesn't obviate the point.

I certainly would but to be honest I don't know what the cost to benefit analysis is. Do you? Or are we both speculating?
All insurance plans health, auto, life are losing propositions as a whole and make insurance companies quite wealthy. You are suggesting that the convenience of getting a bill from insurance company every month somehow makes up for the occasional bill you might get from your doctor/hospital.
 
All insurance plans health, auto, life are losing propositions as a whole and make insurance companies quite wealthy
Insurance isn't a guranteed proposition by any means? It's risk.

You are suggesting that the convenience of getting a bill from insurance company every month somehow makes up for the occasional bill you might get from your doctor/hospital.
I'm suggesting that it is possible that medical bills could far outweigh premiums and for that hedge against loss you have someone to manage the bills which for most people are not simply occasional.

FWIW: Hedge fund companies make a lot of money. That doesn't mean that financially successful companies don't take advantage of their services to hedge their risk. And that insurance companies make a lot of money doesn't mean that financially successful companies don't purchase insurance.
 
And that insurance companies make a lot of money doesn't mean that financially successful companies don't purchase insurance.
A lot of large companies self-insure, as do other large entities. The City of Chicago, for example, self-insures.
 
There's an old saying about insurance: Only buy it if you can't afford to be wrong. Romney can afford to be wrong.
 
There's an old saying about insurance: Only buy it if you can't afford to be wrong. Romney can afford to be wrong.
Cliché makes for such great wisdom. Which is why I always look before I leap, then again, he who hesitates is lost... wait...

ETA: I'm out of this one. Not a great fight to pick. :)
 
Last edited:
Dangerous idea.
During good times, the GOP would start calling it a program for THOSE people and try to defund it when the ecconomy tanks again.

Whle the Democrats would try to eliminate ANY contributions by THOSE people and try to make everyone else pay for it regardless of what the economy was doing.
 
Last edited:
It is a risk. The insurance companies make big money by accepting that risk. Like any business, they can be poorly run and go out of business. Doesn't obviate the point that if you have no unacceptable risk, it is a foolish thing to buy, and your reasons given for buying it when there is no need for risk mitigation are pretty lame.

I'm suggesting that it is possible that medical bills could far outweigh premiums and for that hedge against loss you have someone to manage the bills which for most people are not simply occasional.
A few people might come out ahead by getting back more than they pay in, just like some people win the lottery, but as a whole, it's a losing proposition. The purpose is to mitigate unacceptable risk. If you're wealthy enough to self insure, it's a foolish thing to buy.

FWIW: Hedge fund companies make a lot of money. That doesn't mean that financially successful companies don't take advantage of their services to hedge their risk. And that insurance companies make a lot of money doesn't mean that financially successful companies don't purchase insurance.
My point in saying that they make a lot of money is to emphasize the fact that people as a whole pay into it more than they get back.
 
Even if I were as wealthy as Croesus I'd rather have an insurance card so if I showed up in an emergency room at 3am sunday morn with chest pains I'd get admitted and treated asap.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom