• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Merged 8.8 quake in Sendai, Japan

Yes, I spotted that afterwards. My bad. :(

Why did they have to name both of them so similarily ? ;)

They have numbers instead of names:
*Fukushima Dai-ichi is Fukushima I Nuclear Power PlantWP.
*Fukushima Dai-ni is Fukushima II Nuclear Power PlantWP.
 
They have numbers instead of names:
*Fukushima Dai-ichi is Fukushima I Nuclear Power PlantWP.
*Fukushima Dai-ni is Fukushima II Nuclear Power PlantWP.

I think the literal translation of "dai ichi" and "dai ni" would be "Unit One" and "Unit Two".
 
I don't think it is. To be honest I don't think I have seen too much discussion of the actual hazards. There seems to be a lack of perspective because we are discussing a nuclear risk rather than any other.

If we were evacuating people because an oil refinery might explode I doubt people would be discussing the entire future of the oil industry.

I think people are struggling with the concept of a nuclear power plant exploding and radiation being released and yet somehow it not being a totally catastrophic world ending event.

Other people seem to simply be wanting us all to agree that its the end of the world and we only have ourselves to blame.
I've tried to discuss issues and I'm certainly not fear mongering. I'm not paranoid about nuclear power, and my post a few pages back was attacked. It made me hesitant to say anything.

And you have to admit, DC has a point that not all countries have the ignorant USA news model.
 
But if you notice when the alert went out:


The USGS does have a dense network of sensors in the US that allows posting fast alerts for quakes in the US. The Japanese Meteorological agency runs a large network of sensors in Japan and does fast alerts for Japan.
The "alert" you note is the same as the email service, and it is not the page where real time quakes are displayed.

The whole discussion started over the real time web display, not the alert system.
 
Strange. I've been watching a good mix of CNN, Fox, MSNBC, ABCnews, and the BBC pretty consistently, and this is the first I'm hearing of it...it erupted Sunday (almost two days ago).

I can't imagine this is a major concern for Japan at the moment.
Not an issue, and it actually spewed ash before the quake. And there are other active volcanos on Kyushu. I've been to Mt Aso and it was steaming nicely at the time.
 
Last edited:
Strange. I've been watching a good mix of CNN, Fox, MSNBC, ABCnews, and the BBC pretty consistently, and this is the first I'm hearing of it...it erupted Sunday (almost two days ago).

I can't imagine this is a major concern for Japan at the moment.

It is a minor eruption in a fairly remote part of Japan but still it is reaching the point where the only bad thing not happening to Japan is a visit from Godzilla and Mothra....
 
How long will cooling take and is hydrogen generated throughout the process?

Generally speaking, if all goes well, the post-shutdown cooling process should only take a few days. But, as we have seen, all has not gone according to plan; I would expect the reactor cores to be properly cooled down by week's end, however.

As for hydrogen being generated, I think that could very well be an ongoing process, but I will defer to someone with more expertise on that question.
 
And the Panic is having an effect:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...uclear-plant-closures/articleshow/7709973.cms

Merkel is really striking me as a weak politician, who seems to be afraid of standing up to any political pressure.

I wonder how long it'll be until the people of Germany start protesting in the streets because of the inevitable rolling-blackouts due to not enough electricity generation :rolleyes:

Ah well, at least we seem to have more responsible people in the U.S. government. I have to say that I am quite pleased with what I've been hearing from the Obama administration.
 
I am really hoping the gang at SKeptic's guide goes Nuclear (pun intended) on the way the media has mishandled this situation.

You can be sure they will. I have an inside line with the SGU folks, and I will be communicating with them on the matter.
 
Started a thread in this section about some lame and offensive attempts at humor about the tragedyvia Twitter by Gilbert Gottfried and 50 Cents.
 
As for hydrogen being generated, I think that could very well be an ongoing process, but I will defer to someone with more expertise on that question.

The hydrogen atoms in the coolant water are responsible for moderating or slowing the neutrons down.

In a PWR, hydrogen is not produced during normal operation, only when the fuel is uncooled and uncovered.

The temperature of the fuel can reach in excess of 2,200 deg Celsius.
Then, the water is disassociated into hydrogen and oxygen as well as the hydrogen contribution from melting Zirconium. (fuel cladding).

I would imagine the same is true for a BWR but I may be wrong.
 
Started a thread in this section about some lame and offensive attempts at humor about the tragedyvia Twitter by Gilbert Gottfried and 50 Cents.

Heard about that at lunch earlier. Those douchebags need to be slapped, along with Glenn Beck, Anderson Cooper, and Wolf Blitzer. And the dumbass mayor of Tokyo, whatever his name is :mad:
 
Last edited:
Heard about that at lunch earlier. Those douchebags need to be slapped, along with Glenn Beck, Anderson Cooper, and Wolf Blitzer. And the dumbass mayor of Tokyo, whatever his name is :mad:

I love the way that 50 Cents ,by admitting he was "Ignorant" and the "He did it for shock value" seems to think that makes it OK.
Gottfried first joke about the Beach coming to you was pretty lame but not that offensive but the second joke about a Japanese Girl friend was really, really, over the line.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom