Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist., Moderator
Consciousnesses have selves; noses do not.
Thereby adding evidence to the accusation that you are willfully misunderstanding things to suit your own purposes.
Consciousnesses have selves; noses do not.
xtifr,
- There is a sub-feature of consciousness that makes consciousness different than any feature of a VW. That sub-feature is what I'm calling the "self."
No there is not.xtifr,
- There is a sub-feature of consciousness that makes consciousness different than any feature of a VW. That sub-feature is what I'm calling the "self." And, that "self" is not the kind of "self" that a VW might have.
Dave,
- How's this?
- We shouldn't be comparing selves to noses; we should be comparing consciousnesses to noses. Consciousnesses have selves; noses do not. Consciousnesses have "identifiers," whereby one consciousness is distinguished from the others; noses don't.
Dave,
- How's this?
- We shouldn't be comparing selves to noses; we should be comparing consciousnesses to noses. Consciousnesses have selves; noses do not. Consciousnesses have "identifiers," whereby one consciousness is distinguished from the others; noses don't.
Consciousnesses have selves; noses do not.
xtifr,
- There is a sub-feature of consciousness that makes consciousness different than any feature of a VW. That sub-feature is what I'm calling the "self." And, that "self" is not the kind of "self" that a VW might have.
Dave,
- How's this?
- We shouldn't be comparing selves to noses; we should be comparing consciousnesses to noses. Consciousnesses have selves; noses do not. Consciousnesses have "identifiers," whereby one consciousness is distinguished from the others; noses don't.
I don't see what difference that makes. I also don't understand the difference between consciousnesses and selves...
This is getting needlessly yrregian (or should that be "yrregular"?).
xtifr,
- There is a sub-feature of consciousness that makes consciousness different than any feature of a VW. That sub-feature is what I'm calling the "self." And, that "self" is not the kind of "self" that a VW might have.
There is? If so, it's certainly not part of the scientific model of consciousness.
- You're right. In the plural, they really mean the same thing -- even for me.
- I should have said that we shouldn't compare self to nose; we should be comparing consciousness to nose. Consciousness has a sub-feature (a self, or identifier) that nose does not.
- I provided my best explanation a long time ago.
If reincarnation is true, we must have come from an infinitely divisible source -- and, there are probably several of us today that were Napoleon in past lives... [/qutote]
Yes. If you make up an end point with no evidence then you can also make up the starting point and indeed the entire course.
That's my story, and I'm st-st-stickin to it.
Your "story" is just that, meaningless twaddle unsupported by evidence.
Dave,
- Would it help to call this sub-feature a "sense of self"?
Dave,
- Would it help to call this sub-feature a "sense of self"?
Doesn't really matter what you call it; you're still wrong.Dave,
- Would it help to call this sub-feature a "sense of self"?
- You're right. In the plural, they really mean the same thing -- even for me.
- I should have said that we shouldn't compare self to nose; we should be comparing consciousness to nose. Consciousness has a sub-feature (a self, or identifier) that nose does not.
Not really, Jabba.Dave,
- Would it help to call this sub-feature a "sense of self"?
- The different senses of self are the result of different batches of the same chemistry.It would help me understand what you are talking about, but it still wouldn't explain why it can't be the result of brain chemistry.
- The different senses of self are the result of different batches of the same chemistry.
- The different senses of self are the result of different batches of the same chemistry.