• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Top Gear racist remark (again)

Have you heard the term "slope" as a racially offensive term?

  • I'm from the UK and I've heard it

    Votes: 30 9.3%
  • I'm from the UK and I've not heard it

    Votes: 51 15.8%
  • I'm from the US or Australia and I've heard it

    Votes: 99 30.7%
  • I'm from the US or Australia and I've not heard it

    Votes: 67 20.7%
  • I'm from elsewhere and I've heard it

    Votes: 22 6.8%
  • I'm from elsewhere and I've not heard it

    Votes: 52 16.1%
  • On Planet X there are no racial epithets

    Votes: 2 0.6%

  • Total voters
    323
I saw the show, but from where I am now, cannot access it.

Did Jeremy Clarkson say 'There is a slope 'on' or 'in' the bridge'?

If 'in', no debacle, if 'on' then perhaps (for the lawyers).

But, since both prepositions are used without thinking in spoken UK English, how will they (the plaintiffs) be able to prove any form of racist intent by him having used the preposition 'on'?
 
Last edited:
I've heard it as a racist term numerous times.

Personally, I love Top Gear...for the cars. I'm sure that'll mark me as rather dumb, but oh, well. The show offers some dependable reviews of cars most people drive. I like that, I like looking at the super cars, I like the challenges, I like James May and Richard Hammond (most of the time), and I like the Stig. When my husband was so ill, watching the show was a nice diversion for him, so I also appreciate it for that.

Clarkson is the necessary evil that comes with the show. When he talks, I just consider the source and keep watching the cars.
 
Last edited:
From the US. Haven't heard it used as a slur. I've heard 'slant' used as a slur, shorthand for 'slant-eyes'. But not 'slope'.
 
I saw the show, but from where I am now, cannot access it.

Did Jeremy Clarkson say 'There is a slope 'on' or 'in' the bridge'?

If 'in', no debacle, if 'on' then perhaps (for the lawyers).

But, since both prepositions are used without thinking in spoken UK English, how will they (the plaintiffs) be able to prove any form of racist intent by him having used the preposition 'on'?

From memory I believe it was worded as
Clarkson: ...But there is a little slope
Hammond: It does seem to be higher on one side

A racial pun actually makes a lot of sense in context.
 
I saw the show, but from where I am now, cannot access it.

Did Jeremy Clarkson say 'There is a slope 'on' or 'in' the bridge'?

If 'in', no debacle, if 'on' then perhaps (for the lawyers).

But, since both prepositions are used without thinking in spoken UK English, how will they (the plaintiffs) be able to prove any form of racist intent by him having used the preposition 'on'?

Perhaps if the writers admit it was a "play-on-words"?

I've heard it as a racist term numerous times.

Personally, I love Top Gear...for the cars. I'm sure that'll mark me as rather dumb, but oh, well. The show offers some dependable reviews of cars most people drive. I like that, I like looking at the super cars, I like the challenges, I like James May and Richard Hammond* (most of the time), and I like the Stig. When my husband was so ill, watching the show was a nice diversion for him, so I also appreciate it for that.

Clarkson is the necessary evil that comes with the show. When he talks, I just consider the source and keep watching the cars.

* Richard "The Hamster" Hammond. He's not a real hamster! ;)
 
I will admit to liking Top Gear as well. Jeremy has made a career out of being mildly offensive, in a mostly likeable English way.
 
From US and I've never heard it before. What is it supposed to mean anyways? I saw someone mention "slope head" but I don't get that either. Are Asians stereotypically supposed to have heads that are more sloped than Europeans?
 
From US and I've never heard it before. What is it supposed to mean anyways? I saw someone mention "slope head" but I don't get that either. Are Asians stereotypically supposed to have heads that are more sloped than Europeans?

I think, as somebody posted earlier, that it's a reference to a Neanderthal likeness.
 
From US and I've never heard it before. What is it supposed to mean anyways? I saw someone mention "slope head" but I don't get that either. Are Asians stereotypically supposed to have heads that are more sloped than Europeans?

I thought it was a reference to the perceived angle at which East Asian eyes are supposed to be inclined. Look up some WWII propaganda pictures or other crude racist drawings that are generally frowned upon today.
 
But it wasn't casually. It was part of a script in a TV show. To assume Jeremy is serious about anything other than his hatred of caravans is absurd. He is an entertainer, whether you find him entertaining or not.

Did you get as outraged at Stephen Colbert and the Ching Chong Ding Dong kerfuffle? Or Archie Bunker and every word out of his mouth? Do you think wrestling may be rigged?

So yet again the Clarkson just having a bit of a joke defence.
 
I thought it was a reference to the perceived angle at which East Asian eyes are supposed to be inclined. Look up some WWII propaganda pictures or other crude racist drawings that are generally frowned upon today.

That's what I would have assumed, much like the more common slur "slant eye", but wiki suggests it's the forehead thing which I don't really get.
 
The scene in question :



I'd heard the word slope as a racist insult, but really just in books and stuff from the US. I don't know that I've ever heard it actually used as an insult in real life.

But my gut reaction was certainly "Ooooo, wow, they really just did that.... ugh." when I heard it.
 
It's a comedic format based on three buffoons who are given hot cars and stupid challenges. Keystone Kops in the 21st C.

Hmmmm... well, having not seen the show, or this episode, or most of the posts here, I conclude that this guy should just say, "Look, I would never say anything genuinely racist in a pre-recorded segment."
 
Hmmmm... well, having not seen the show, or this episode, or most of the posts here, I conclude that this guy should just say, "Look, I would never say anything genuinely racist in a pre-recorded segment."

I'm afraid your attempts to parody Clarkson fall short when compared to his actual quotes:

In 2011, Hammond was discussing a Mexican sports car and suggested that vehicles reflect the national characteristics of the country they are from.
He said: 'Mexican cars are just going to be lazy, feckless, flatulent, leaning against a fence asleep looking at a cactus with a blanket with a hole in the middle on as a coat.'

...Clarkson claimed its ambassador to the UK would not complain because he would be snoring in front of his embassy TV.

The Mexican ambassador Eduardo Medina-Mora Icaza did make a formal complaint to the BBC and called on the presenters to make a public apology for stirring 'bigoted feelings against the Mexican people'
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom