Stop moving the goal posts. I've never supported purity, point me to the post where I vehemently supported purity. This is not about racial purity, it is about racial integrity. There is a huge difference. That same women could still be considered black , even though she's clearly white. AND THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I'D CALL THAT WOMAN OR HER OFFSPING BLACK. Stop twisting my words. If that woman has white parents, and has a white spouse, then her kids are white.
I'm not moving the goalposts. I'm trying to figure out how you define white (or black), because one can't have mixed-race people unless there are unmixed-race people to produce them.
This from another post defined it nicely:
Having an ancestor of another "single race background" (3 or more generations of ancestry to one pan-ethnic) in the past 3 generations makes them mixed. For example, if I had a great parent who was white, then I would be white. If my last white ancestor was a great great grandparent, then I would be black. 3 generations of one pan-ethnic group makes you that race....
...
Nope, three generations of black ancestry and you're black. Meaning that an individual with one non-black relative in the last 3 generations is mixed.
I'm not quite clear on the sentence I've bolded. Do you mean if you had a great grandparent who was white then you would be
mixed race? That would be the way I'd understand it from the rest of the definition and it seems a simple typo.
Okay, if so, thinking out loud...
That sounds like it would shift the burden of the one-drop rule, so that it would take just one drop to make a person lose their racial "integrity" and be considered mixed-race.
Someone please correct me if I've made a mistake in the following:
Let's say Susie has all black parents, grandparents and great grandparents. She's "black," by that definition, because she has three generations of one pan-ethnic group, no ancestor of another single-race background, and no non-black ancestors in her last three generations.
But let's look at Susie's great grandfather Joe. We've defined him as black, because if he wasn't, Susie would be mixed-race. But is he really black? To tell, we have to go back three generations again. We discover that all his parents, grandparents and great grandparents are also black, except for one great grandfather, Sam, whose race we don't know.
If Sam is black, Joe would be black and Susie would be black.
If Sam is white or mixed-race, Joe would be mixed-race and that would mean Susie would be mixed-race.
Her racial identity--whether she could call herself black or mixed race--would hinge on the race of Sam, her great grandfather's great grandfather, or 1/64 of her bloodlines, if I've calculated that right.
But wait. There's more! The only way to know if Sam is truly black, and therefore Joe is black and Susie is black, is if we go three generations back from Sam. If his great grandfather was white, he'd be mixed race, and Joe would be mixed race, and therefore Susie would be mixed race. Susie's racial "integrity"--her ability to call herself black rather than mixed race--could hinge on 1/512th of her bloodlines. And it could keep ratcheting back, as one drop of another race would make someone's great grandfather mixed race and therefore Susie mixed race.
There are people who would use the above to say that race doesn't exist, but I disagree. I just don't think it can be defined
so precisely that one definition is the only final one that can be used to correct how others self-identify.