• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

271 grams of protein daily ?

Roma

Master Poster
Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
2,073
Just looking over some magazines in the library today, I found a diet that recommends 271 grams of protein every day; lots of meat and eggs and protein powder that they are marketing of course.

I was thinking that so much protein might cause kidney problems or some other types of health concerns. My "friend" disagreed and said that because it was a diet in a Muscle Building magazine and there was an asterik above the diet that said it was only for the purposes of muscle building by body builders that the diet must be safe.

So could someone please tell me if this is a safe diet or an unsafe diet and bad marketing gimmick for the purpose of selling their protein powder ?

thank-you
 
That's not abnormally high when on a high muscle gain cycle for taller bodybuilders. That's not too far outside intakes I've done when on building push. To be clear, that's when someone is on a very heavy weight training kick and trying to add a lot of size.

But as far as I know, it's not a regular diet. It's not even done every day for short periods of time. On a regular basis? I don't know.
 
The classic formula for bodybuilders is, iirc, 1gm protein per lb of bodyweight, but some reckon this is too high. Sounds like the recommendation you read would be unsafe for your wallet, but a healthy body will process and excrete the surplus .

eta: The myth of 1gm/lb optimal protein intake for bodybuilders.

"Based on the sound research, many review papers have concluded 0.82g/lb is the upper limit at which protein intake benefits body composition (Phillips & Van Loon, 2011). This recommendation often includes a double 95% confidence level, meaning they took the highest mean intake at which benefits were still observed and then added two standard deviations to that level to make absolutely sure all possible benefits from additional protein intake are utilized."
 
Last edited:
271?

Why the excessive accuracy, I wonder? Why not 270g, or 275g? It isn't a conversion, as far as I can tell, because 271 grammes is 9.5592 ounces. I wonder if this is perhaps an attempt to appear to have derived the figure through a meticulous scientific study, rather than just plucking a number out of the air.
 
"97.7 % of statistics are made up. When you make up a stat, put a '7' in it for luck".
 
271?

Why the excessive accuracy, I wonder?

No, it wasn't for accuracy, the diet story was in a magazine which offered several suggested daily amounts (3 meals plus snacks ), the amounts varied between 271 and 265 and 270, it was just that 271 was the highest number among the examples that I read.
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom