What the...? Cycle of reproduction?
Prior to birth control and abortion women had lots of children. A woman would get married. Have sex. Get pregnant. Have a baby. Have sex. Get pregnant. Have a baby. Have sex. Get pregnant. EndLoop = menopause.
Is this the new phrase being floated by people trying to make motherhood seem weird and abnormal? The language brings to mind the attempt to shame Ann Romney for being a housewife and stay-at-home mom who "never worked a day in her life".
I think motherhood is wonderful. I think stay at home moms are wonderful. I think women who work outside of the home are wonderful. I think women should be free to pursue happiness. I think a woman should not have to live a life of celibacy because she doesn't want to get pregnant. Birth control and abortion put women in control of their lives. They choose how to pursue happiness. If they want to have sex but not have babies I think that is wonderful. You?
I'm not so sure about your speculation regarding the voting habits of these young moms. Right off the top, the ones who are single (35-40%) are reliable Democrat voters. Obama received a higher percentage of votes from mothers (56%) than he got from overall voters (51%) or overall women (55%).
I had this debate with eeyore. I can't remember how it ended. He had some good points but I don't remember offhand what they were.
So, the crux of my argument is this,
red states remain highest in teen pregnancy, in large part because the women do not get comprehensive sex education and they are fare more likely to be indoctrinated with conservative religious notions about life beginning at conception. They are inculcated with superstition and fear of hell fire if they have sex on a much higher level than Blue states. Blue states have more democrat women and women who are educated and thus value their right to reproductive freedom. For instance,
California's teen pregnancy rate recently dropped a whopping 60%.
Factor in the women from Blue states who are educated and who are less likely to take the indoctrination of
ensoulment seriously and the disparity is clear. The GOP would love to take away comprehensive sex education (Bush the elder and Bush the younger both removed funds for comprehensive sex education). They GOP would love to eliminate OTC contraception and make conception the point at which a single cell is a human being. I'm not making this stuff up. Honest to Ed I wish I were.
Paul Ryan Sponsored Fetal Personhood Bill, Opposes Family Planning Funds.
The efforts of the GOP to restrict contraception and abortion on both the federal and state levels is truly astounding and would serve to put women back on the cycle of reproduction. There is simply no evidence that intellectual reason is superior to evolution when it comes to motivating humans to copulate.
Orgel's Second Rule: Evolution is cleverer than you are. Is there any real mystery as to why the human population is 7,102,661,000 and rising? Is there really any reason to wonder why educated women have far less children than uneducated women? Can't we move past religious superstition and silly beliefs in ghosts (aka souls)?
So, let me make clear. I stand by my statement 100%. People have sex throughout the world even during famines, war, pestilence, poverty, religious proscription, threat of disease, etc., etc.
You are not going to stop it. The GOP isn't going to stop it. No piddling law is going to stop it. All you are going to do is create a social and health problem and then blame the women for doing what evolution has perfected over millions of years.