pakeha
Penultimate Amazing
- Joined
- Jul 11, 2009
- Messages
- 12,331
I'm no Tim Callahan, but I'll take a stab at this.
The fact that all four gospels include a version of this story suggests to me that they all thought it important enough to include. Why?
It's a vignette about Jesus interacting with a woman and then rebuking his followers who saw something wrong in that. The exact nature of the interaction, the woman, the fault seen by the followers, and the rebuke all vary in each gospel. I think that is because the story is about sexuality and that different communities saw it in diffe
rent ways.
Is it about sexuality? I'm not sure, but I think a religious Jewish woman wiping my feet with her hair, might well... (I'll be in my bunk...![]()
I've been reading various Christian commentaries on the anointing:
http://www.tektonics.org/af/femanoint.html
This source claims there were two anointings.
http://mickeymcnew.hubpages.com/hub/The-women-who-anointed-Jesus-feet-and-their-typology
This one, three.
And has this to say to boot
"Looking deeper into all accounts we can extract precious spiritual nuggets that unveil the nature of the bride. In the first two accounts we have both women anointing Jesus’ feet but neither anoints His head. This act testifies to the character of the two women and their understanding of Jesus as the bridegroom God. In Ruth 3:3-5, Naomi sends her daughter-in-law to the threshing floor of her kinsmen redeemer, Boaz. She was instructed to lie down at his feet. When a woman lies down at a man’s feet she was saying in essence, “Cover me with your garment and I’ll be your bride”, see also Ezekiel 16:8. To anoint ones feet suggest even a more intimate nature. The word “foot” singular in Hebrew is “regel” Strong’s 7270 and is used as a euphemism for pudenda. Another strong indication that these two women understand their call to be the bride is the fact that they let down their hair in the presence of men. Women wore their hair up in public or kept it covered. Hair was considered sensual and was only let down in the presence of ones husband. The act of letting their hair down suggested they acknowledged Jesus as their Husband and He accepted their gesture. "
You might be on the right track after all, Brainache.
This third analysis
http://www.crossmarks.com/brian/john12x1.htm
aludes to the context of footwashing
"People generally washed and anointed their own feet. Foot washing was a routine matter of cleanliness, and the use of oil or ointment on one's feet was soothing for those shod in sandals. When guests arrived at someone's home, especially after a journey, the host usually provided a basin and water for the guests to wash their own feet before sharing the meal. In the Scriptures, for example, Abraham welcomed visitors to his tent by saying, "Let a little water be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree" (Gen 18:4). The same practice is attested in other biblical texts and Greco-Roman sources. In some cases, a host might also provide oil for his guests, although they would ordinarily rub it onto their feet themselves.
A slave was virtually the only one who could be expected to wash and anoint the feet of another person....washing or anointing the feet of another person remained identified with slavery."
One impression I take away from these three commentaries is that the incident is clearly a literary devise.
Inspired by Homer? It could be.
There's also the possible it was woven together of elements from the Midrash as a literary introduction to the foot-washing at the Last Supper.
Another impression I take away is that there's no consensus on how many anointings there were.
An intriguing little story, all in all.