• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

The latest right-wing "scandal" - Umbrellagate!

what is the scandal? would he have be sexist and demanded 2 femal marines doing it , it would have been OK?
this story highlites a needed change in the marines rules.
 
As to my saying "you won't see other presidents having uniformed people holding his umbrella for him. It belittles the person holding it". I was clearly mistaken, in some cases soldiers have done it for others in the past however in none of those examples are they doing so in such a manner as to call attention to it. That's what makes it belittling.

Wait.. what?? "call attention to it?"

He's standing next to the President. People are gonna notice!

wow.
 
I will reply by pointing out that that is not a Marine in uniform nor is it at a press conference. If anything it looks like a man in a servants type uniform who is standing behind his boss. I can make the distinction between a servant (who's job description is all about doing menial things like this) and a Marine (who's job description does not include doing things like this). Can you?

Better?


971383_10151440243751275_734180981_n.jpg
 
Better?


[qimg]http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/p480x480/971383_10151440243751275_734180981_n.jpg[/qimg]

mmhh when the president has white skin, they wear black hats and when the president has darker skin they wear white hats? :boxedin:
 
If you can't see the difference between a Marine standing stiffly on guard with his hand sharply at his waist while his other hand juts out at an angle and holds an umbrella as being vastly different from a guy standing meekly behind the president holding an umbrella with his arm obscured behind his back, then you are either lying or blind.
*snort* I appreciate the fact that you don't use loaded language. :rolleyes:
 
I will reply by pointing out that that is not a Marine in uniform nor is it at a press conference. If anything it looks like a man in a servants type uniform who is standing behind his boss. I can make the distinction between a servant (who's job description is all about doing menial things like this) and a Marine (who's job description does not include doing things like this). Can you?

^this^

Also servants (and White House aides) are trained to do this unobtrusively.

To have someone in a attention drawing uniform stand in the power position as Holder of The Ruler's Umbrella is really more Court of the Sun King.

It will attract attention because it amuses.
 
There you go. You accept that it's amusing.

If by "it", you mean the massively stupid notion that there's anything even remotely noteworthy or unique about uniformed military personnel holding an umbrella for the President of the United States of America, much less scandalous or insulting to the military, then yes, I do indeed accept that it is amusing.
 
Sometimes, while performing my assigned duties my uniform gets out of regs. No one cares, it's understood to happen. Show up in a sat uniform, do your job, go home.

That there couldn't even be the "out of uniform regs" claim if the marines in question had been female shows how silly this is.
 
The satirical comic strip about life in the Marines called Terminal Lance (one of my favorite webcomics), devoted its most recent installment to this issue.

And, of course, there's commentary. Very NSFW commentary:

Yes, the President of the United States of America had a boot Corporal hold an umbrella for him while he gave a speech.

The reactions were interesting because people let their political butthurtedness flow into their opinions on the matter. People seem to forget that we’re Marines, and this is exactly the kind of **** that Marines do. Somehow, holding an umbrella for the President and the Turkish Prime Minister is seen as demeaning, while all of the other ******** that Marines do every day is not. I find it entertaining to see Marines on my Facebook page saying things like, “I would have told him to **** off and hold his own umbrella.”

No you wouldn’t.

Shut up.

We’re Marines, if the President of the *********** United States asks you to hold a *********** umbrella, you hold a *********** umbrella. As well, the day I give a **** about a boot Corporal holding an umbrella is the day I’ve forgotten what the Marine Corps is. Honestly, holding an umbrella for the President is probably the least demeaning thing I could imagine doing as a Marine, as opposed to the other ******** I had to do every day. No one would think twice about asking a boot to police call cigarette butts across the entire base at 5am, but the minute this boot has to hold an umbrella for the Commander in Chief, people get upset.

He’s the President, he rates an umbrella.

Get over it.
 
considering what the right wing wanted to seel us as scandals about Obama , it indicates that he must be one of the best presidents ever. i mean if ordering a Marine to hold an Umbrella is a scandal, then he must be doing an awesome job.
 
Those pictures of other presidents having umbrellas held for them are Army. They don't deserve the same respect as a Marine.

Actually, speaking as a Navy vet, I'm shocked the Marine in the picture actually knows which end of the umbrella points towards the sky.*

* As former Navy I'm constitutionally obligated to mock the Marines at all times.
 
Yes, you are! It's something about the Women's department that must berate the Men's department at all times.....:D
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom