1. My "behavior" is almost entirely unobserved by participants to this discussion, who base their characterization "bigot" and "racist" entirely on the positions I take in JREF discussions of public policy.
Yes. And those positions are blatantly bigoted...
Suppose you know that {3,11, 43, 53, 97} is a subset of A and that |A|=100. Would you confidently assert that A is the set of the first 100 odd primes? Maybe A is the set of the first 100 positive integers. Maybe it's a set of page numbers from
Moby Dick (not all of them, obviously).
(and you cite a blatantly racist source).
For what? I don't recall citing any source in the discussion of same-sex marriage. I cited Murray's
Losing Ground in an earlier discussion.
Losing Ground is about moral hazard. There's nothing "racist" (undefined term that apparently means "a caucasian who disagrees with a socialist") about it.
If words are defined by their use, then here on JREF "bigot" and "racist" really mean "someone who disagrees with a strident socialist".
No, they don't. This is just more of your bizarre efforts at redefining words to try and derail the actual conversation.
If the "actual conversation" is NOT about the words "bigotry" and "racism", let's agree to drop those terms from the discussion and get back to cost/benefit analysis of policy options and the relation between institutional structure and incentives.
Redefinition of marriage is a tax increase. Traditions evolve. The cost/benefit consideration that (might) justify heterosexual spousal benefits do not apply with the same force to homosexual unions.
So you
assert, without actually having done any kind of cost/benefit consideration worthy of the name.
True. Some costs are obvious and potentially large (employer-funded health care for AIDS-afflicted spouses of employees of government agencies). Some benefits are potentially large (promoting marriage within gay culture may reduce the number of sexual partners per man-year and so reduce STD inccidence). At least I attempt it. Framing the discussion as a matter of "rights" stuns critical facilities.
... it would help if "criticism" contained something to address other than name-calling.
...
Ant introduced "racist" to an earlier discussion.
Because you cited a book of racist claptrap (ironically written by someone who is actually
more progressive than you are when it comes to the issue of same-sex marriage).
False, but that's an easy mistake to make. I cited Murray's
Losing Ground (which is not about race and has little to do with race). I have read (but not cited anywhere that I recall) Murray and Hernstein's
The Bell Curve. So long as "racist" remains an undefined term, I can't say whether it's "racist claprap" or not. I did not see in
The Bell Curve any assertion-as-to-fact that looked obviously unlikely to me, so "claptrap" is wide of the mark.
Ant apparently has not read it. What's the word for passing judgment before you have evidence? "Prejudice", right?
Interesting meditation on the psychology of "more victimized than thou"
here
Another one
here.
... women like Meg Lanker-Simmons are caught in a trap that has nothing to do with (mythically) rape-minded men and everything to do with the world easy contraception and feminist ideology have given us.
I think that underneath the obvious political maneuvering, screaming about a nonexistent rape pandemic is a displacement activity. Campus feminists do it because confronting their actual powerlessness and the jaws of the dilemma that created it would be too painful for them to face.
...
One thing I am sure of is that displaced moral panic and silly, counterfactual yabbering about “rape culture” will not solve the problem.
Substitute "racism" or "bigotry based on sexual orientation" for "rape culture" and the point is the same.
Either the grievance-mongers are head cases or paid Democratic Party shills.
Those are the only possible explanations. /SARC]