The State cannot subsidize education without a definition of "education". Students, parents, teachers (or employers) and taxpayers are then bound by the State's definitions.
And the State is committed, by and large, to the teaching children how to read and understand what they read; coaching them on how to write effectively and providing a grounding in math that will help them from everything from health care jobs to engineering, science, etc. They do this in the name of equal opportunity in education. It's all carried out by credentialed professionals accountable to parents, children, colleges and business for developing those traits.
That's what the system's propagandists want people to believe. If we judge a system by the goals its propagandists proclaim, then
North Korea is Heaven on Earth. Those "credentialed professionals" gave us Whole Language methods of Reading instruction, "discovery" methods of Math instruction, block scheduling, portfolio assessment, standards-based education, self-esteem, mastery learning, critical pedagogy, and countless other lunatic fads.
In return the kids gain a basic knowledge/skill set to compete in industry, with the aim of remedying some structural inequalities in opportunity.
Many parents of children consigned to corrupt, abusive inner-city schools would disagree. NAEP scores support those parents.
I work at a school run as a business but funded by the state and I believe it does run leaner, with more signal-to-noise ratio, than the average mainstream public school. I'm both for more choice in schools and concerned about the bigger, less nimble districts that have high overhead and a lot of competition from a gaggle of charters.
The correlation between enrollment and per-pupil cost is negative over the range from 500 (the average North Dakota district) to 1,000,000 (NYC). The correlation (NAEP score, enrollment) is negative. Costs rise and performance falls as districts increase in size. Beyond a very low level, there are no economies of scale at the delivery end of the education business as it currently operates.
This has little to do with the "slavery" debate but I wanted to let private-sector purist see how it looks from the point of view of professionals charged with bringing the less-privileged kids up to par in terms of future opportunities.
I worked at Campbell High School for eight years and Waianae High School for a year. I have tutored children of immigrant parents.
I think what's actually going on is much more interesting than the purest free-market-vs.-slavery argument. Raising more entrepreneurial kids in a framework of a common ground of knowledge matters a lot to the country.
Mandatory lessons in self-improvement? That's like yelling "QUIET!" (i.e., self-contradictory).
I'd rather see improvement in how public and private entities work together for the main goal.
"Rather" is a comparative (rath, rather, rathest). To what?
But when I've tried to engage free-market purists on this issue, there is absolutely no give. No sound policy for transforming the system. Nope, just abolish it tomorrow and while kids and the U.S. may suffer in the interim, in the long term the infallible free market will make up for the kids being left behind now.
Do you have an example of someone who takes this position?