• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Miracle of the Shroud / Blood on the shroud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't tempt me.

;)

Please do, Akri! :D

Though I agree, it's nice to see a woman in real armor for once. Makes me wonder about armor bite, though. Poorly-fitted armor can slap against you, causing some pretty gnarly bruises. And for most women, the breasts do stick out a bit--so unless they're accounted for you'll have a big gap between the stomach portion of the breastplate and the actual skin. Or lots and lots of padding, or smooshed breasts.
 
Please do, Akri! :D

Though I agree, it's nice to see a woman in real armor for once. Makes me wonder about armor bite, though. Poorly-fitted armor can slap against you, causing some pretty gnarly bruises. And for most women, the breasts do stick out a bit--so unless they're accounted for you'll have a big gap between the stomach portion of the breastplate and the actual skin. Or lots and lots of padding, or smooshed breasts.

There's an article someplace where an armorer discusses the problem of armoring women, and he deals with the concept of boobplate. He seemed to think it was unnecessary (and actually detrimental, because it means sword strikes with be directed toward you instead of being deflected away).

Can't quite remember where I saw it, though. I know he was specifically talking about the sorry state of female character armor in videogames. I might try to track it down later.
 
Here's a hint. Why not hold off posting until you've got the quotes ready? It'd make your posts a whole lot less frustrating and annoying to read. To make things even better, you could hold off posting until you've prepared a neat summary of what you find most convincing about the paper and why we should consider reading it, perhaps with some judiciously chosen quotes to back up your argument. Constantly telling us what you're just on the verge of being about to do is really wearing to the reader.

And Jabba, whlie you're at it, could you adopt a more normal posting style, please ? Thanks.
 
There's an article someplace where an armorer discusses the problem of armoring women, and he deals with the concept of boobplate. He seemed to think it was unnecessary (and actually detrimental, because it means sword strikes with be directed toward you instead of being deflected away).

Can't quite remember where I saw it, though. I know he was specifically talking about the sorry state of female character armor in videogames. I might try to track it down later.


Is this it?
 
My little web-book shows that link as 'Emanuela....of the Shroud'
Am I simply an evil, evil person or does does anyone else automatically think of the cinematographic possibilities when they see that phrase?

Cinematographic is quite the word in this precise case. Emanuelle. I can hardly think of another name which brings so much graphic imagery ;).

Maybe "Debbies".
 

No worries, Slowvehicle.
Still, it seems to me Jabba is seriously considering a switcheroo on the samples to explain the dating results.
What the Archbishop of Turin had to gain by participating in such an act needs to be explained, though.

Jabba, since you're backing that Shroud Con 2012 paper, I hope you have some explanation for why the switcheroo idea seems convincing to you.
 
"Invisible patch, or maybe if they'd used seven laboratories the other four might have come up with the result we really really want, and anyway it's not fair because maybe some naughty Vatican employee who wanted to discredit his own religion switched the samples while the lights were out and waaaaaaahhh!!"

Not remotely convincing. And already discussed. The shroud is a magnificent piece of art from the 14th century, I wish these shroudies would see it for the mediaeval marvel it is, instead of trying to imbue it with magical properties and make it a peg on which to hang their shaky faith.
 
Yes. In fact, you could say it's what connects all organised religions and cults across time and space.
And power. Don't forget the power.


- I thought that I had cited the following paper already, but I couldn’t find it in the thread. It seems (to me, of course) to make for a good summary of the problems with the carbon dating of the Shroud, and of the reasons why we should be at least somewhat suspicious of the results. I’ll come back with some quotes.
--- Jabba

http://uniroma.academia.edu/Emanuel...ting_for_the_radiocarbon_dating_of_the_Shroud
Another crude attempt by shroudies to discredit the dating by innuendo.
A better translation would be helpful.

  • Marinelli has damn all relevant qualifications or no experience in radiocarbon dating, I'm sure her time teaching Physical, Political, Economic and Tourist Geography at the Professional Institute for the Commercial and Tourist Services was interesting but it's not the career of an expert on radiocarbon dating
  • She appears to make a living lecturing and writing about the shroud.
  • No peer-review (unsurprising)
  • She harps on about "contamination" of the samples, a matter that's been dealt with exhaustively
  • She claims that "There is no report or document summarizing the actual sampling conditions" despite the fact the process was witnessed and documented by several people and recorded
  • She continues the ridiculous innuendo about Tite
  • She repeats the carbon monoxide contamination nonsense, which has long since been debunked
Kindly stop wasting our time with this sort of rubbish, do your own research and provide some evidence to support your claims.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom