• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Would You Take Driving Points For Someone Else?

I will also stick my neck out and go for twelve months for each of them, plus costs (which will be substantial in Huhne's case). Pryce may have her sentence suspended; I cannot now remember how old their children are but that may be a factor in pre-sentence reports.
 
I will also stick my neck out and go for twelve months for each of them, plus costs (which will be substantial in Huhne's case). Pryce may have her sentence suspended; I cannot now remember how old their children are but that may be a factor in pre-sentence reports.

IIRC the youngest is at least 18. So a legal adult.
 
Oh Jeez. We have Jonathan Aitken on the radio telling us what's like being an upper class person in prison. This guy has made quite a celebrity niche for himself as a rent-a-quote guy whenever one of us nice middle class people have to go to jail and slop out with the unwashed.

Ug. <sidetrack>this is an argument for having fines based on income/assets. Losing one's freedom is a loss whoever you are. Being fined a fixed amount is much harder on the less wealthy.</sidetrack>
 
Ug. <sidetrack>this is an argument for having fines based on income/assets. Losing one's freedom is a loss whoever you are. Being fined a fixed amount is much harder on the less wealthy.</sidetrack>

Maybe we should be more creative with our punishments. Like on Krypton where you would be sentenced to be slowed down a lot. Anyone remember that? I love that idea, except when thinking about the practicalities of taking a week to cross the street or a couple of months to pay for your groceries.
 
Possibly still a dependent though, if they're a student for example.

I wasn't sure what the law thought (the government often wants it both ways). Anyway, I found this:

For uk benefits and law what is the definition of a dependent child?
Not legal advice. Dependent children are children in the same family and either aged under 16 or aged 16-18 and still in full-time education.

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/for-uk-...s-the-definition-of-a-dependent-child/2905426

(The number of parents I'd have to tell 'I can't talk to you, your child is an adult and hasn't given me permission to discuss their coursework')

ETA: I'm sure special needs could affect things, but then they'd be a dependent adult. And I don't recall it ever being mentioned in this case -- the youngest's texts to his dad seemed to indicate a forthright young mind.
 
Last edited:
Presumably that's with good behaviour. I'm guessing it might take longer if they shiv someone in the showers or anything.
 
No such thing as early release for "good behaviour" in the UK. The mandatory release date is at the half way point of their sentence, so they must be released at the half way point of 4 months.

If they commit a further offence whilst in prison then that would depend on the offence and whether it's dealt with under the court system or prison law. Days can be added for an offence if the prison deals with it.

They will have a Home Detention Curfew (HDC or "tag") release date at some point, but it will be upto the powers that be as to whether that is applied. Because they are non-violent offenders who own their own homes etc then the likelihood is that HDC will be given.
 

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom