• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

How To Use Bitcoin – The Most Important Creation In The History Of Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say things like, "I was too skeptical to take his advice, unfortunately" you give the impression that you've forgotten the difference.

What does the fact that I missed a potential investment opportunity have to do with realized and unrealized gains?
 
You have no basis for your statement made out of not only complete ignorance, but in total disregard for the facts.

Your post is complete and utter rhetoric, and does not counter my point. Perhaps you would consider explaining yourself, because so far this thread has demonstrated that BTC worth is too volatile to be a good investment.
 
Your post is complete and utter rhetoric, and does not counter my point. Perhaps you would consider explaining yourself, because so far this thread has demonstrated that BTC worth is too volatile to be a good investment.

You don't have a point. Your analogy is bad, your assessment of bitcoin's investment worthiness as a result of its volatility is incorrect, and this thread has demonstrated nothing more than that there are a lot of idiots on the internet.
 

I already read that post. What does the fact that I missed an investment opportunity have to do with realized vs. unrealized gains?

Much of this thread is about people confessing their abject ignorance, and about claiming how it's impossible to predict this or that, or make rational investment decisions or forecasts about the future, and yet, people still manage to make money investing.

Granted, it can be difficult sometimes to discern whether that was the result of luck, or skill and foresight, but the bottom line is all that counts.
 
BBC article on Bitcoin:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21601608

Key point I have taken away from the article is that they are more useful then ever before and security is better.
Part of the attraction is they can be used to make transactions that are difficult to trace, offering privacy to their users, and the currency has been adopted by Wikileaks and other sites to receive donations.

As post #1495 shows, the privacy aspect of bitcoin is a little overstated. If person gets associated with a bitcoin wallet then not only are all the transactions the person makes with that wallet traceable but also transactions that person might have made with other bitcoin wallets. Not exactly what the criminal mastermind is looking for.
 
I already read that post. What does the fact that I missed an investment opportunity have to do with realized vs. unrealized gains?
This threatens to be an endless loop. We both know the difference between realized and unrealized gains. There is no need to get offended just because I pointed out that this was an unrealized gain.
 
You don't have a point.

Your ignoring it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Your analogy is bad

If you say so, then ?

, your assessment of bitcoin's investment worthiness as a result of its volatility is incorrect

It's a value judgment by me, and an opinion. I would be delighted if you could demonstrate that I don't actually see that as a weakness of BTC.
 
I never cared for the whole argument around bitcoin as an "investment." Clearly lot's of businesses are popped up surrounding bitcoins and the bitcoin market, but I was always interested in whether or not it would evolve into a useful currency...like one that can be used for buying things.

New Bitcoin-only electronics retailer hopes to undercut huge competitors like Amazon and NewEgg
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/4/40...tronics-retailer-competing-with-amazon-newegg

BitPay Integrates Bitcoin with Fulfillment by Amazon.com
http://www.bloomberg.com/article/2013-03-06/abKcA8yUZTMw.html
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom