I said it was a matter of subjectivity, not relativity. There is a difference.
Quite true. There are many subjective issues on which vast majorities agree. That doesn't make these issues not subjective.
And yet, it is subjective, regardless of whether people understand that.
You seem to have a problem with that conclusion. I wonder why. Perhaps you think that if you acknowledge that this value is subjective, you will have to abandon it. That is not true, but I can see no other reason to object to my position.
But let's not forget where this topic came from. bikerdruid tried to dismiss a claim about the superiority of Eastern European culture to Islamic culture on the grounds that this evaluation was subjective. And it is quite true that that evaluation is subjective. But you, for example, seem intent on defending the validity of a subjective value judgment. And the truth is that I actually share common ground with you in the sense that we both think genocide is an appalling wrong. That I consider this subjective does not mean I believe it any less firmly.
So if we have a subjective value that we consider valid and worth defending vociferously, then the fact that a value is subjective is not sufficient to dismiss it. bikerdruid's objection cannot withstand logical scrutiny without abandoning the very concepts of right and wrong. Now, you may or may not agree with Virus about his specific subjective evaluation of the merits of Arab culture vs. Eastern European culture, but in order to ague against his position, you need some grounds other than bikerdruid's to do so.
But of course, bikerdruid offered nothing more than pointing out the subjectivity of Virus's statement. It was an intellectually lazy response which has no logical coherence outside of absolute moral relativism, and that position itself would be in drastic conflict with your own expressed abhorence for genocide.
Very well, premises granted out of convenience. I see nothing wrong with the argument initially, and I can’t be bothered to argue otherwise. Perhaps genocide was not the best subject to use though?