Doctor Evil
Master Poster
- Joined
- Mar 24, 2008
- Messages
- 2,014
Why would no one in Israel be opposed to peace negotiations?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I get the feeling that by asking why you really mean whether. In any case I will answer both.
When I said that no one is opposed to peace negotiations I was generalizing. What I meant was to say that all the major parties officially support negotiations whose goal is a two state solution. If you look closely you may find some parties which do not state that, such as 'The Jewish Home' who do not believe in negotiations, but they are in the minority.
The reason why somewhat right wing parties are in favor of negotiations, at least in principle, is simple, most of the Israeli public still see a two state solutuon as the most likely solution of the conflict. (That assumes that a solution is possible.) At the same time a lot of people do not think that this is a particularly good time for negotiations, but this is beside the point, and I have no time to expand on it.
The Israelis have the upper hand in terms of settlement expansion, varying rights based on race, full control over borders, etc. And for many on the right in Israel, especially Likud, there has been reluctance to engage in negotiations and possibly threaten their ability to continue construction expansion and their ability to retain legal preferential treatment based on race.
That is a calculus that is not shared by many on the left and middle in Israel. For them, the increased stability, predictability, and reduction of tensions that could develop as a result of negotiations are more in Israel's National security and economic interests.
I am part of the left in Israel, and in the upcoming election I will again try to convince my family and friends not to vote for Bibi. Yet I believe that your first paragraph is simply not true. It has been Bibi official policy that he would welcome talks without preconditions. (A reminder, Bibi negotiated with Arafat in his previous stint as PM.) At the same time it was Abbas who required various conditions before talks start. Bibi was even forced to greatly reduce settlement construction for a period and Abbas still refused to negotiate. As a result it was easy for Bibi present himself as moderate, and shift the political discussion in Israel to other topics.
By the way, I think that both Bibi and Abbas are not interested in negotiations at this time because i) it is not clear that Abbas has a claim to represent all Palestinians and ii) no current Israeli leader will match the offer Olmert gave to Abbas four years ago, and Abbas did not accept the offer at the time. This is all maneuvering to make the other side bad, without any substance.