• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

Gillard labels Abbott a misogynist

"Sexist and Misogynist" was used. Which is which? One seems less strong, the other very strong. If it were otherwise she would have said "you are a sexist and a sexist". ;)

It's called a use of synonyms, and of emphasis. It's common in rhetoric. It's like calling Pat Buchanan a racist and a bigot. He's both, they are not mutually exclusive, they are in fact very closely related.
 
The mental gymnastics of Alfie's rabid anti-Gillard partisanship certainly are hilarious. "It's not misogyny because he does not have a sheer unadulterated rabid hatred of women!" Despite the fact that even dictionary definitions of misogyny got thrown in his face that show no such rabid hatred is necessary for the label to fit.

Which definition would that be? Where is it? All I have seen is a third party reference to something and a claim that the poster says they can't provide. Is that the one you mean>

For the last time: if someone said that blacks are inferior leaders than whites, that would make him a racist, even if he adds, "my best friend is black and I really like them, I certainly don't hate them!".

If this was close to what he said I might agree with you.
So what did he actually say?
When did he say it?
In what context?
Have you a link?
And how does that oprove he hates (or is even prejudiced against) women?

Thanks in advance.
 
Which definition would that be? Where is it? All I have seen is a third party reference to something and a claim that the poster says they can't provide. Is that the one you mean>



If this was close to what he said I might agree with you.
So what did he actually say?
When did he say it?
In what context?
Have you a link?
And how does that oprove he hates (or is even prejudiced against) women?

Thanks in advance.

I swear if I didn't know better I'd think you are channeling Joh Bjelke-Petersen
 
Not to mention crowing about having achieved a gallant victory despite having actually won converts to the Prime Minister's cause.

I thought I'd check with you - being the expert on off topic stuff. ;)
But aren't you off topic in this post here. If not perhaps it's something about the arguement not the arguer.

Just wondering.
 
Last edited:
Yep: every time they scream misogynist.
The latest case in point is this thread.

Abbott: Sack Slipper he is unfit and the Labor party are supporting him.
Gillard: You misogynistic pig.


I thought it went more like this:

Abbott (1): Sack Slipper he is unfit
Abbott (2): This Prime Minister has failed the judgment test .... yada yada yada ... Also, sexism and misogyny!

Gillard (1): Yes but no.
Gillard (2): Don't lecture me about sexism and misogyny!
 
Yet still nothing showing Abbott to be a misogynist under any definition we have yet seen. Let alone finding a smoking gun: so far we have a comment made about the differences between the sexes made some 35 years ago. Then there is the stuff on abortion and the weighing up of differing and sometimes opposing values (some have simply wanted to find offense at this one). And lastly, the virginity comments in response to a question on his daughters. This one is interesting for another reason namely, that those that raised it have refused to pursue it.

Damning indeed. Hang him now!
 
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s3604577.htm

Interestingly, last night on Q&A Bill Shorten tried to change the meaning of the word misogyny too. To the transcript:

TONY JONES: ...and you’ve already redefined a word that’s in the dictionary to suit your own meanings…

BILL SHORTEN: It’s still a free country. I will work with you but they’re my views.

TONY JONES: It is a free country and there’s a dictionary and you can look up the definition.

I thought I heard the sounds of backpedaling before, now I am certain that was so.

I think I will give you the same advice Tony Jones gave to Shorten (highlighted).
 



DeadHorse.gif
 
Perhaps it would be wise to actually find out what I'm referring to instead of just making an inane comment.
 
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/qanda/txt/s3604577.htm

Interestingly, last night on Q&A Bill Shorten tried to change the meaning of the word misogyny too. To the transcript:

​

I thought I heard the sounds of backpedaling before, now I am certain that was so.

I think I will give you the same advice Tony Jones gave to Shorten (highlighted).

I generally like Tony Jones, but that man gets way too carried away sometimes. At the end of the day, who cares what one definition says? We create the dictionary, and we change the meaning of words at our whim. If there's grounds to argue that a word is being used arrantly incorrectly, then it's a good reference tool for correction. However, when a word has been observed to have quite clearly morphed from referring exclusively to someone who hates women to someone who believes men are superior to women, diving into a dictionary and having a whinge is a petty and utterly desperate reaction, like playing Pictionary with a really over-sensitive person; "Actually, that image of a butterfly reminds me of the swastika. Take it back, immediately."
 
Last edited:

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom