Wait a second. So when Obama said that if the industry received government support that plant could stay open a hundred years, what he meant was even if the industry didn't get the government support that future government support would re-open closed plants?
Are are you just moving goalposts?
How did those 'goalposts' get set in cement by those criticizing his speech? That's a neat trick there!
If I could move goalposts I'd have done them in Lambeau, all it would have taken would have been inches and Akers wouldn't have tied Demsey's record. Actually come to think of it I wouldn't have, it was just three points and it was cool to see it happen!
Ryan has been hawking this as a broken promise by Obama. What was the promise made?
Here's what Obama said, according to the
Detroit Free Press:
Obama quoted in DFP 8/31/12 said:
"I know how hard your governor has fought to keep jobs in this plant. But I also know how much progress you've made -- how many hybrids and fuel-efficient vehicles you're churning out. And I believe that if our government is there to support you, and give you the assistance you need to re-tool and make this transition, that this plant will be here for another hundred years."
All I was getting at is the plant is still there, there's been layoffs and new contracts (making different vehicles) before, thus just because the plant got closed down doesn't inherently mean it has/had to be closed forever. Why couldn't it have re-opened? Either under GM or someone else lured there with the help of government?
Here's a paradox I wonder if some people
get. Imagine for a moment that some worthless scum of a rich guy were to decide he could make green widgets or
whatever at that plant, but would only take the risk if he didn't have to pay anything more than what the income tax rates are now on his profits. So he comes in, retools the factory to make greenidgets, and hires 6k people, the historical maximum at that plant (though I think it was down to 1k or so by the end) making an average of $15.00 an hour.
That would mean there'd be a lot more people in Janesville working, some moving up from lower paying (or less palatable) jobs, allowing others to take those and some coming from the ranks of the unemployed. That might not be a great wage, but all of a sudden there'd be a lot more disposable income in that area, allowing for more people to buy things from other local businesses, helping them to greater profits too, and
all of them paying more in taxes to government, the lower wage workers paying sales taxes to state and local governments and payroll taxes to the Feds.
The worthless scum of a rich guy is no doubt diddling whatever he lays eyes on when he's not torturing bunnies, his wife no doubt wears fur and just gives those charity fundraisers simply to gossip about how much she hates the 'little people' and has one of those annoying little dogs yip-yipping all the time--and of course they hide all this behind their gated mansion that's twenty times the space anyone should really need.
The worst thing of course would be the rich got richer, and probably more so than the poor got richer, as that's the way it usually works. So we can't do this, or anything like it, instead we must raise the rate on the rich, which might lead to more short term government revenues, but others? They might not invest where they otherwise could have or seeing the handwriting on the wall just
leave. There will always be
Scarlet Pimpernels (
'Sink me!') and of course in this day and age it can also be done with a push of a button, which is why they're considering or implementing a wealth tax in the
United Kingdom and
France.
Greed, envy and hate might be motivating factors for individuals, and their often deleterious effects mitigated by the fact no one individual has much power, but when they become government policy it can often be
disastrous and there's those who just
do not understand the 'Law of Unintended Consequences' and that you don't control the future by thinking you control the past, you're just doomed to do the same things
over and
over again.
Sorry! Packers were losing and I got a trifle annoyed and way off on a tangent and a bit snarky--though not aimed at you in the slightest. It actually makes sense to me, but I'm sure that's just because I'm
weird! Just having a little fun, too, I wouldn't want anyone to take it
seriously. After all, just exactly when that plant closed (so we know if he
lied!) is one of the
only things that really matter and I must be just dissembling shamelessly of course because while what he said makes perfect sense to me, if deconstructed 'correctly' he must be lying as no 'promises' were ever made, after all it appears Obama didn't even know that plant made SUV's and not hybrids so we all should have known better than to think maybe it could someday.