This post isn't so much about birdwatching as it is about bird-trying-not-to-step-on.
There's a Rock Dove on my patio, and it's behaving very oddly. I don't know if it's suffered some brain injury (stroke, parasite?) or been poisoned or . . .
It's fluttering around on the ground, because it sometimes panics and tries to fly, but it can't. It has a bizarre habit of rotating its head 180 deg and then (seemingly) trying to rub the top of its head on the ground. At first I thought it was trying to attack me, but now I think that it sometimes tries to flee, but it can't control its direction very well so it winds up circling back very quickly. I've tried not to disturb it because I suspect it's injuring itself more when it tries to fly. The wings appear to be working just fine.
The bird, looking more-or-less normal (except that it's sitting on my lawn at night, and letting me get close enough to take this picture *without* a telephoto lens)
Looking at me oddly (this is
not the twist-its-head-around trick)
Trying to fly away:
doing the head-twist (putting them in the spoiler box because I find these image more disturbing than some of the wasp pictures that I've been chided for not putting in a spoiler box):
It does the head-twist thing very quickly, and the conditions were already photographically challenging, so they aren't very sharp.
Has anyone encountered this sort of thing before? Is there anything I can do for it? I'm not optimistic about its chances of surviving the night in my backyard in that condition, but I doubt that it's going to recover regardless of how much nursing it gets. And I'm a little hesitant to spend a lot of time trying to rescue a member of (yet another) invasive species.