My apologies. I searched for posts which I was sure were from Childlike Empress. Turned out they were by Bikerdruid.
I have been interrogated by the Mukhabarat myself actually.
Long story, basically Israel had tossed a missile into a Palestinian refugee camp/training ground and 6 months later I went to have a look.
They seem to have all the good cop/bad cop techniques worked out and lots of psychological tactics, so I don't think they need to pull fingernails. Why not waterboard like the Americans do?
I did see someone being slapped around in one of the basements I was taken - but for all I know he was an ali baba. Anyway, the insurgents aren't exactly angels either.
Why should I care if some Mukhabarat slaps someone around in the well founded belief that if the tables were turned they would slit his throat? And ignore rebels that knife children in Houla?
"Highest living standard in all of Africa?" If that's not defense of Ghaddafi, what is?
A fact.
How can peace in Syria be achieved?
Assad should wipe out the terrorists.
How can peace in Syria be achieved?
Assad should wipe out the terrorists.
A fact.
This is intended as a joke, right?Originally Posted by Childlike Empress
I'm writing on this forum about this topic and adding gray to the black and white...
No, she means it. Read her previous posts on other threads.
And Virus' observation is spot-on. That article about "Lonely Planet" pretty much describes Childlike Empress. Especially her icreasingly desperate defense of Ghaddafi back when he was still alive. Much like how she defends Assad now, only more so.
There's a formula to them: a pro forma acknowledgment of a lack of democracy and freedom followed by exercises in moral equivalence, various contorted attempts to contextualize authoritarianism or atrocities, and scorching attacks on the U.S. foreign policy that precipitated these defensive and desperate actions. Throughout, there is the consistent refrain that economic backwardness should be viewed as cultural authenticity, not to mention an admirable rejection of globalization and American hegemony. The hotel recommendations might be useful, but the guidebooks are clotted with historical revisionism, factual errors, and a toxic combination of Orientalism and pathological self-loathing.
I'm glad you liked it. This is pretty much the modus operandi of the local far left zealots;
How can peace in Syria be achieved?
Assad should wipe out the terrorists.
Today, however, our colleague Mona Mahmood has been speaking via Skype with a resident of al-Herak in Deraa who gave his name as Muhammed Abu Houran:
Yesterday morning the Syrian army began its campaign against al-Herak in Deraa. They launched a vicious raid against the people who were still in their houses, though most of the people had left the town earlier.
They Syrian army executed any men they found in these houses soon after arresting them. Most of the men who were executed were found in deserted houses. From yesterday until now, fires are still burning – there is not enough water to put them out.
After three days of fierce battles here, the FSA had to leave its positions as it had run out of ammunition. As soon as the FSA pulled out, field executions were carried out and houses were burned and destroyed.
Side-question: HYPOTHETICAL! What if a "dictator" somewhere ever managed to make everyone in the country part of a fairly evenly-priveleged group, and kept everyone happy, but still didn't let people vote? Plato's good tyrant, best form of government, he thought. If ten thousand people in some minority (of, say, 12,000,000 total) somehow got suddenly disgruntled and demanded his overthrow - would it be right to help them out?
Absolutely. And I understand still shootings at protests and funeral processions occur. I'm hazy on the details, but for this, failing as you note top curb it, to protect their people from their own armed forces, is seriously delegitimizing. All that you write is clear, and generally quite fair considering what’s generally accepted. You win, in normal land.
All I’d like to add is that’s not necessarily physically true. If physical reality were democratic, the people of the world would have voted this to truth easily. But it's not, so I remain agnostic until I get more detail to have a better guess. This is worth a major study by experts, and should have been done months ago, but I will attempt to start an analysis. I'm putting off the Homs torture hospital allegations to make time, and even then, nothing promised for a bit. Then people will have something new to ignore.
From the bits I've seen and things I know from around, I get the impression that in the heat of full-on war, the regime is still picking off actual protesters at like every protest in Aleppo at least. It seems like very few people - one or two, never enough to scatter them-they remain defiant. These happen in towns with a strong rebel presence, areas they tend to control.
These could, crazy as it sounds, be false flag provocateur sniper acts, as I’ve documented in Libya, seriously pretty well illustrated, right from the famous rooftop videos of the “government repression.” In this kind of attack, some hardcore cats would run it, shoot one or two protesters/mourners down, ones who look weak or young. They get the most sympathy dead, and make the worst fighters alive, so it’s a maximum win and minimal lose.
Someone needs to take a closer look at how these Syrian snipers work compared to more successful crowd dispersal or crushing actions as compared to the kind of action we see in the videos from Al Baida. It seems like a military presence, marching, pushing, tear gas, etc. usually play in, and the crowd gets moved. In extreme cases, live fire is used - not just shooting a couple and letting the rest rage in place, but enough downed to scare everyone else away.
Can anyone tell me before I start looking soon - which of those models do the Syrian protests that get sniped look more like?
They say they have been trying to, by attacking the terrorists doing things like sniping the citizens just to blame the government (remember Sari, and that we don't know that's the only case). But they operate inside cities, and it's a little tricky, not as precise and bloodless as the eye surgery Assad studied for.
Attached to those who disagree with little Ali? Of course - they're inconsistent with the activist-supplied witnesses. I've been "proven" wrong and "unlikely" again. So what?
I haven't had time to look yet. I'm guessing - tell me if I'm wrong -documenting means taking down what activist supplied witnesses said happened. Not impressed. About 100 documented witnesses supported this total crap cover story for a Libyan rebel war crime. No one here even disagrees, they just find it boring. The UN's report toed the same line as the media there. So what? They were all on the wrong (untrue) side of the line.
Yep. Same with "African mercenaries" in Libya. We can be fairly sure the thousands of them reported in the first days of "protests" were mythical, the later ones, maybe less so. Doing terrible things, allegedly, explaining many of the rebels' own crimes, like killing piles of "defected"soldiers, requiring lots of dead Black guys for months on months, all of the Shabiha, er mecernaries.
Sad thing is, I suspect much of the violence they describe is happening, just as extremely as they say. I've seen some video proof that would curdle your blood. I've been a bit messed up by them. I just wonder who really stands to benefit, and if the circumstances are being accurately portrayed by the activist-supplied alleged witnesses. We'd all better hope so.
Yeah, a regime crime for sure, that SANA probably tried to cover up by saying the local Imam was pro-regime, and so were the other people killed, by "what they call terrorists." As if that story ever works, but they keep doing this and saying that. It's insane, requiring removal. Idiots.
Is it possible for someone else to shoot yourself in the foot for you?
Could also be a more straightforward case-it's not suspiciously, cartoonishly evil, that one. Some preachers and fighting men in wartime might get the summary execution, even if it's wrong. Sure. I'd need to know more to get a better guess. But you know enough to call it an incident that happened as described. I envy you a bit.
I'm just not so sure they're the ones trying to halt the attempts at halting. If I were, I'd probably agree with you almost toally. These things shouldn't be happening, and I suspect once Assad is overthrown and can't be blamed, they will stop, approximately then, and we can pat ourselves on the back, most of us. (I'll gladly sit in my dictator-supporter corner of shame).
Apologies if I've missed anything important cutting it off there. Peace.
I take back what I said before. I now believe it is mandatory that the dictator who was in power when the civil war broke out must remain in power, so that it is his responsibility, rather than the responsibility of the civilized world, to fix what the dictator broke.
Remind me, how does the urban warfare in Syria look any different from the urban warfare in Fallujah?.
A Syrian air strike on a rebel bastion in the north Wednesday flattened a string of houses and killed 31 people including children, activists said, leaving residents wailing in grief and anger.
“Bashar did this. God help us, these animals will kill us all,” said one man, hoisting a bloodied arm from a pile of body parts on the pavement outside the hospital in the town of Aazaz after the bombardment.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 31 people were killed in the attack by a MiG fighter jet...
Residents insisted there was no rebel base where the bomb struck but some said the families of FSA fighters lived there.
UNHRC said:52. Most unlawful killings occurred in the context of attacks against the strongholds of anti-Government armed groups. According to the most prominent pattern, attacks began with a blockade of the area and shelling, followed by an assault by ground forces, including special forces and Shabbiha. Snipers were used extensively. On securing the area, Government forces undertook house-to-house searches. Defectors, activists and fighting-age men were systematically sought out during these operations. Wounded or captured anti-Government fighters were executed. In some cases, family members of fighters, defectors and activists, as well as others who appeared to have been randomly selected, were also executed.
What is happening in Syria is simply what any urban insurgency is like, Assad is not "killing his own people" as the crawlers like to pretend, but an urban insurgency targets government workers and installations which either has to be surrendered to or resisted.
I did not say Assad has legitimacy or the Assad government has legitimacy, I said the Syrian army and the Syrian police force have legitimacy to carry out security and terrorism prevention. The Syrian Free Army has no legitimacy to do anything.
There is no moral judgement, simply a legal judgement.
In order to benefit Israel we are encouraging the murder of innocent soldiers and policemen whose only crime was to sign up to serve their country and their community. If you want change in a country you need to look to the example of Eastern Europe of how to achieve that. The fact is most Syrians probably don't care much one way or the other, so we need the revolutionary vanguard approach of terrorism in order to force people to choose a side.
It is a LEGAL not a moral concept. How hard is that to understand.
Under Soeharto the Indonesian army was the legitimate army. Under Pinochet the Chilean army was the legitimate army. Under the Brezhnev the Red Army was the legitimate army. There have been dozens of dictatorships in the world, in almost all of them they departed or died and the institutions that supported them evolved.
Very few of them had civil wars and probably none of them would have benefited from them.
McHronzi, you couldn't care less who rules Syria, your only interests are Israeli interests.