• Security incident: ISF was recently accessed by intruders. Please change your password, and change it anywhere else you used it. Read more

WTC7 and the girder walk-off between column 79 and 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Tony…girder walkoff...did you look into:

• Reduced steel strength
• Reduced steel stiffness
• Out of plane bending
• Torsional twist due to temperature gradient
• Lateral Torsional Buckling

Most architects and structural engineers know one thing, you cook a building long enough, and it’s going to collapse. That’s why they put fireproofing on all the structural steel.

Controlled demolition had nothing to with the collapse of Building 7, and no one has ever produced one piece of evidence to support that nutty theory.
 
To re-consider your signature belief I hope?



Oh really?

MM

You are really scraping the bottom of the barrel for these snide little ad homs, aren't you?

...
However WTC7 had most of the evidence concealed inside the building. So the standard truthers mendacity and false logic of "Here is something that could be part of CD. Therefore we claim CD. Therefore you prove us wrong." Totally arse about logic: - Put up any anomaly totally bereft of any overall hypothesis or context. Then claim it means CD. Then challenge debunking opponents to prove it is wrong. And debunkers who are generous and prepared to overlook 'reversed burden of proof' at a disadvantage with WTC7 because they cannot access evidence to disprove CD any more that the CT's can advance evidence to prove there was CD. And CT's/Truthers/trolls not burdened by any apparent commitment to honesty.
...
It's actually quite simple; just ask them how They knew the WTC 1 collapse wouldn't hit or disrupt the explosives in 7. The answer, of course, is that They couldn't; it's physically impossible, even today.

Not everyone can be bought.

MM
Whoosh.

Incidentally, we've noticed how content-free and ad-hom filled your posts tend to be.
 
Weeeell, now, let's be fair. Tony is a mechanical engineer. That doesn't mean he's a go-to guy for structural engineering, however.

To avoid personalizing this, I likewise would not automatically be assumed to know structural engineering like an expert. I'm an Aero. While I've taken statics, strength of materials, solid mechanics, FEA, and even a couple of civil engineering courses, I just don't have the depth of experience with buildings that many others do -- the problems I encounter on a regular basis are different.

So I might take a stab at a structures problem, and I might even get it right. But if celebrated structural engineering professors and entire CE societies contradict me, I jolly well will sit down and pay attention, hoping to learn something.

Heck, I may even discover something they've all missed. But the likelihood of this will be slim, and the burden of proof upon me to explain and verify my finding will be very high indeed.

There's a professional way to raise such concerns, and then there's the Internet tough-guy approach. I recommend the former.

I would agree with your point here that people who do building work everyday might have a better feel for certain things related to building work, and if they contradicted me I would sit down and listen also. However, that doesn't automatically make them correct and the problem here seems to be that many have not looked at this issue. I have been working with Ron Brookman (a civil/structural engineer who does building work everyday), Jonathan Cole (a civil/structural engineer who owns his own business and works on buildings), and a retired civil/structural engineering professor. The four of us are in full agreement on the problems with the NIST scenario on WTC 7. In general, the science behind the structural design is the same for mechanical and civil/structural engineers and most of the small differences are jargon related.

TFK is an anonymous person who claims to be a mechanical engineer working in industry.

My stepfather was a civil/structural engineer who worked on ships, buildings, and bridges in his career and he felt mechanical engineering structural design and analysis work was more difficult than building work due to the shock and vibration dynamic loading involved in machinery and vehicle structural design.

In March there was a series of questions put together by Ron Brookman, with input from myself and others, prompted by a review of the recently released WTC 7 drawings, and sent to the NIST via FOIA. There are also presently three Discussion papers and one Technical Note in review with Journal of Engineering Mechanics and Journal of Structural Engineering editors concerning the NIST WTC 7 scenario and Dr. Bazant's work on the WTC in general. So the professional route is being taken.
 
Last edited:
So Tony…girder walkoff...did you look into:

• Reduced steel strength
• Reduced steel stiffness
• Out of plane bending
• Torsional twist due to temperature gradient
• Lateral Torsional Buckling

Yes, these effects were considered in the analysis work that shows the NIST girder walk-off scenario for the collapse initiation of WTC 7 is impossible.
 
Yes, these effects were considered in the analysis work that shows the NIST girder walk-off scenario for the collapse initiation of WTC 7 is impossible.

Well then--it looks like your analysis is ready to begin the peer review process, right? I'm sure you're going to hit the world's engineering communities like a ton of bricks.
 
So Tony…girder walkoff...did you look into:

• Reduced steel strength
• Reduced steel stiffness
• Out of plane bending
• Torsional twist due to temperature gradient
• Lateral Torsional Buckling

Most architects and structural engineers know one thing, you cook a building long enough, and it’s going to collapse. That’s why they put fireproofing on all the structural steel.

Controlled demolition had nothing to with the collapse of Building 7, and no one has ever produced one piece of evidence to support that nutty theory.

His current hypothesis is that the entire flange of the girder must be pushed off the bearing seat for the connection to fail. He is unaware that once the center-line of the web is pushed off the seat the entire shape will just roll off under it's own self-weight.
 
His current hypothesis is that the entire flange of the girder must be pushed off the bearing seat for the connection to fail. He is unaware that once the center-line of the web is pushed off the seat the entire shape will just roll off under it's own self-weight.

Yes, I was wondering about that one. If there's enough weight on it, even if it doesn't roll off it could simply twist and slide off. Then there's deformation of the bearing seat under eccentric load, which I'd have thought would at least have to be considered. The simple statement that deflection by less than some arbitrary amount will not lead to failure seems slipshod and vastly over-simplified.

Dave
 
In March there was a series of questions put together by Ron Brookman, with input from myself and others, prompted by a review of the recently released WTC 7 drawings, and sent to the NIST via FOIA. There are also presently three Discussion papers and one Technical Note in review with Journal of Engineering Mechanics and Journal of Structural Engineering editors concerning the NIST WTC 7 scenario and Dr. Bazant's work on the WTC in general. So the professional route is being taken.


So why are you still here?
 
There is something wrong with your model. Rethink your assumptions...
It's almost a trademark - getting the assumptions or underlying model wrong. Either he accepts someone else's assumptions then works outside their range of validity and/or tries to switch from abstract models to real world and/or without having a valid model of his own.

This one has all three in one big error loop:
www.journalof911studies.com/volume/2008/TheMissingJolt7.pdf

Ignore the 'well poisoning' in the early paragraphs. ;)


Like he has never been told that before...............;)
The false assumptions started with C7 who imported a 'single factor' assumption into this thread despite having been warned it was wrong on another thread. That was back in March and at about post #155 - well before Tony joined the discussion at post # 859. 'Get your assumptions right' has been a key sub theme ever since.
 
ozeco41 - Tony must know Dr. Zdeněk Pavel Bažant is a structural genius. Probably the most well respected structural engineer on the planet.

I can tell you're new around here. To the 9/11 truthers, if he exists, he's a paid government disinformation agent who writes lies to convince people that the false narrative of terrorists, fire and impact damage causing the collapses is plausible; and since none of them had ever heard of him before 9/11, it's unlikely that they'll concede that he even exists. To truthers, evidence against their theories can be rejected on no other grounds than that it disagrees with their theories.

Dave
 
Here ya go, Tony.

Download it yourself from NIST's webpage:
http://www.nist.gov/el/disasterstudies/wtc/wtc_draftreports.cfm

Just below the last paragraph of text on the page that begins:

"On August 21, 2008, NIST released for public comments DRAFT REPORTS documenting the Federal Building and Fire Safety Investigation of the World Trade Center Disaster – WTC 7…"

And right above:
"DRAFT Reports released for public comment in August 2008:"

you will find
Public comments received by NIST August 21 - September 15, 2008 (PDF, 32.6 MB)


Or you can click directly on this link.

I'll expect an apology & a retraction of your comments below about my "leaving people out", my "skimming for quotes", my "oversights", etc.

As I told you, I cut & pasted every cited part of that post. Including the author list, AE911T's stated comments, & NIST's replies.

Unlike truthers, I don't HAVE to quote-mine in order to make my points.


In September of 2008 I did participate in a collected series of public comments on the WTC 7 report by individual engineers, one of whom was Ron Brookman who is a structural engineer. I didn't see where you listed him, but maybe it was just an innocent oversight on your part.

Read for yourself.
No oversight.

Gourley listed first.
You second.

James Gourley put the separate comments from all of us together. He is a chemical engineer as well as a patent attorney.

"You are what you do."

Gourley is a patent attorney.
I acknowledge that, a long time ago, he got a degree in Chem Engr.
He IS a patent attorney.

In case you aren't aware it wasn't sanctioned by any specific group.

Read for yourself.

That is precisely NOT what it says in the comments.
It was submitted under the banner of AE911T.

With your name attached.

Did Gage commit fraud?

I also didn't see where you listed David Chandler, but maybe that was just another oversight on your part. He wrote the part about freefall acceleration which NIST did acknowledge in the final report.

Read for yourself.
He's not listed under the AE911T submittal.

I think you are mixing quotes, papers, and authors.

I think you are tossing around insults without knowing WTF you are talking about.
Read it for yourself.

Not that I think you would intentionally do that, or that you would possibly skim things a little here and there to support your point,

Nope.
I wouldn't.
I didn't.
Read for youself.

There is no question as to whether or not I am a mechanical engineer.

I have specifically and repeatedly stated that I accept that you got a degree in Mech Engr. a bunch of years ago.

That does NOT, in my book, make you a mechanical engineer.

The work that you produce makes you a mechanical engineer.
I've seen your work.
In spite of the fact that someone handed you a diploma a bunch of years ago, I've come to the conclusion that you don't even rise to the level of "a bad mechanical engineer".

But rather, "you're not a mechanical engineer".

This is analogous to Wolfgang Pauli's comment that it (in this case, you) are so bad, that "you're not even wrong."

I am one and have been working in the field doing structural design and analysis in the aerospace and communications industries for over 20 years.

You've told us.

What you do is utterly removed from designing or analyzing skyscrapers.

I know what I do is just as far removed.

I, unlike you, have the common sense to listen to experts who DO design & analyze skyscrapers.

You have clearly lost the debate about the alleged girder walk-off …

It's always easy to tell "who lost the debate", Tony.

It's always the one that feels the need to say, "I won the debate."

Don't you just LOVE irony...

… it is apparent that you are looking for other ways to get at me.

Yup.

I have found that "quoting you exactly" is the best way that I've found to "get at you."

Perhaps you should consider taking that particular bludgeon away from those that beat you up in debates, Tony. Take it away, by stop saying things that are so "bludgeon-worthy".

That really isn't very professional.

Professional?

YOU are commenting about "professional"????

Would that be "professional, as in accusing a bunch of the finest structural engineers this country has produced, from government, industry & academia, of fraud, incompetence & treason"???

That kind of "professional"?

If you had a PE license, the things that you've written would have gotten you sanctioned & your license stripped.

That's the kind of "professional" that you exemplify, Tony.

Go lecture someone who doesn't know at what level of buffoonery you've behaved.


tk

PS. After you've read what you are alleged by ae911t to have written, I WILL expect that acknowledgement & apology.
 
Last edited:
I thought you were done with me.

Oh, I see you are, as now you are changing the topic and asking me to answer for other people.

Sorry Tom, but I can only answer for myself, and in the case of the discussion between you and I here, about the NIST alleged girder walk-off, you don't have a leg to stand on. You simply can't get that girder to come off of its seat no matter what you do.

Tony do you have anything other than a spreadsheet?
 
I would agree with your point here that people who do building work everyday might have a better feel for certain things related to building work, and if they contradicted me I would sit down and listen also. However, that doesn't automatically make them correct and the problem here seems to be that many have not looked at this issue. I have been working with Ron Brookman (a civil/structural engineer who does building work everyday), Jonathan Cole (a civil/structural engineer who owns his own business and works on buildings), and a retired civil/structural engineering professor. The four of us are in full agreement on the problems with the NIST scenario on WTC 7. In general, the science behind the structural design is the same for mechanical and civil/structural engineers and most of the small differences are jargon related.

TFK is an anonymous person who claims to be a mechanical engineer working in industry.

My stepfather was a civil/structural engineer who worked on ships, buildings, and bridges in his career and he felt mechanical engineering structural design and analysis work was more difficult than building work due to the shock and vibration dynamic loading involved in machinery and vehicle structural design.

In March there was a series of questions put together by Ron Brookman, with input from myself and others, prompted by a review of the recently released WTC 7 drawings, and sent to the NIST via FOIA. There are also presently three Discussion papers and one Technical Note in review with Journal of Engineering Mechanics and Journal of Structural Engineering editors concerning the NIST WTC 7 scenario and Dr. Bazant's work on the WTC in general. So the professional route is being taken.

My great grandad was god.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ISF - Join now!

Every member here is approved by hand. No bots, no spam, just people who care about evidence and honest debate.

Membership is free!

Create your free account

Back
Top Bottom