Natural Born Skeptic
Graduate Poster
- Joined
- Oct 23, 2007
- Messages
- 1,459
Your point being?Wow, nearly all of the previous 100 posts are about the Prosecuting Attorney in the case...
Your point being?Wow, nearly all of the previous 100 posts are about the Prosecuting Attorney in the case...
I understand what you are saying here. What I don't understand is why.
ETA:
After giving it some thought, I wonder if you are you trying to criticize Jeralyn Merritt without coming out and saying it. Is that it? I thought about putting up links to her site to source the various points, but the information is scattered around, is extremely hard - if not impossible - to link, and copying and pasting long posts on legal matters is not copyright friendly.
I quote the above only to call attention to all those who are convinced that GZ has a "history of violence", was acting as a "wannabe cop", has a "proven record of anger issues" etc. The post above if from your twin on our side of the aisle, and you're both totally wrong. Enjoy reading it, because you're reading yourself.
Yep, see my last two posts. It's a classic example of confirmation bias, when the same behavior that would outrage people in one circumstance suddenly becomes embraced in a circumstance where it accomplishes what they want.
Ya, he pushed an undercover cop years ago, and had a legal spat with an ex-girlfriend. If that's not a history of reckless violent behavior, I don't know what is...has a history of reckless violent behaviour.
What about Z getting fired from the illegal bouncer job for anger problems? Did I miss when that was debunked?
What about all the racist hate Z posted online? Did I also miss when that was debunked?
I'm not saying any of this amounts to a hill of beans as far as the case goes. I'm just pointing out that you missed a few things in your summary.
Your point being?
I understand, I made my point, if they reference Florida law and the relevant appeals then it matters otherwise it doesn't. I haven't read JM's stuff. Do they reference Florida law and appeal precedent?
I don't believe your breakdown is really targeting the primary issue. My argument is that even if 1 is the proper selection, what can we know about these two people based on such a small amount of (historical) information, and how might it give us insight into how they might have acted that night, with neither person having anything in their history that is especially revealing? And the answer is, not much. And that is where some people keep misleading themselves.That would only be true if Z's history and M's history have equal weight in the specific case at hand.
Remember, that is out of four possibilities.
1) Both of their histories could be relevant.
2) Neither of their histories could be relevant.
3) M's could be, but not Z's.
and
4) Z's could be, but not M's....
Uh oh, so you think you know me well enough to think I'm a hot head just from some posts herePS: (I'm glad you didn't blow up at me, I tried very hard to word that post properly and civilly!)
My apologies, it is getting hard to tell the serious discussions from the static at this point.
The statement of charges, is simply that. 'The acccused did on or about the umpteenth of March knowingly and with malicious intent, proceed to engage in acts of piracy, barratry, and ribaldry, in violation of subsection 12, 4th floor of the Muncipal Uniform Code of Unfair Stuffage (MUCUS)...'
The affadavit of probable cause is simply an assertion of whatever information, observation, etc. gives rise to the notion that a crime has been committed.
Before allowing that to go out over their assistant's signature, it isn't neccessary that a prosecutor have personally played CSI with every item and document.
To meet the threshold for doing that so that things don't get thrown out by a judge later, all they really have to establish that everything seemed to be in order. Mistakes are allowed, up to a point, and that point is set pretty high. And of course, that leaves room for ambitious prosecutors or their office, to play games with people.
So I just don't know what Derschowitz is so wound up about.
Both documents were ordinary enough paperwork. Is he writing articles about the 'inexcusable errors' in the police report listing Martin at one weight, and the autopsy giving another?
I would be equally surprised if he were, because nothing in the system requires preternatural accuracy at those points in the process.
ETA: I'm not defending Corey's America vs. Dershowitz's America, I'm just saying that he really seems to be barking up the wrong tree in this particular instance.
We have been discussing the legality of Corey's prosecution for a while now. You must have skipped that part.
To use your term, I would say that Corey's nefarious activities in this prosecution have been legal. And, I didn't say Corey's actions have been ethical, although I presume they have been, with what passes for ethical conduct in the mentality of today's prosecutors.
It seems clear to me that the ABA rules/guidelines for prosecutors are not enforced or enforceable, I don't know which. If I had to take a guess, I would say that those rules have all been obsoleted by case law and higher court decisions. There has to be a reason they don't appear to apply today.
I do expect O'Mara to submit a motion to challenge the probable cause affidavit at some point for its erroneous content and failure to establish the "depraved mind" of Zimmerman, maybe on the 29th of this month.
The 'investigation' stage. Wanna play? I think she's going down in the end, we will see though!![]()
I will say that watching you defend this hardass 'law-and-order' Republican with a history of victimizing minorities and children with bizarre charges and threatening liberal icons and institutions like Alan Dershowitz, the Southern Poverty Law Center, the press, and Harvard University makes for sublime irony.![]()
Now that's laughing dog funny. The fact is, the evidence that Martin was some sort of violent gang-banger, is about as strong as the evidence Zimmerman was a murderous racist. Sorry, maybe refereeing one fight, and taking web photos of yourself with some cheap gold fronts? That's not a gangster, that's a kid that likes rap music. Pot use? That's pretty much every part of the US, sorry. And sites like conservative treehouse have been especially bad at these sort of bizarre theories, since they don't seem to have the slightest interest in truth.
People really should stick to the facts of the case, instead of digging through old MySpace or twitter accounts to paint some weird caricature of the people involved.
I was interested if Treyvon Martin was a gangbanger so I googled it. ...
Obama is a shapeshifting space lizard yields nearly two million hits.Confirmation bias
(I was interested if HM Queen Elizabeth II was a reptile, so I googled it (6.8 million hits)
I don't think that wondering about or Googling something necessarily indicates confirmation bias. Now if when you found a hit that says she was a reptile you immediately said, "aha, I knew it", that mightConfirmation bias
(I was interested if HM Queen Elizabeth II was a reptile, so I googled it (6.8 million hits)
I haven't called Derschowitz nutty, I certainly haven't 'joined' any group and I'm not the one who brought up the pictures or lack of them.I think Dershowitz's point is that those pictures are not a (relatively) meaningless detail like TM's weight on the police report, it significantly undermines her murder charge and thus cannot be omitted, and that's not the only thing that's questionable or misleading about that APC. Most of the time it may not be all that important in the grand scheme of things, being as if convicted there was no doubt enough evidence of the crime alleged on the APC anyway, and if dismissed or acquitted who's going to go back and make hay over the APC anyway?
Her problem is her 'evidence' in the APC doesn't even really support the murder charge she filed, and she had to rely on some very dubious methods to get there. Eliminating the physical evidence from the fight that was the direct cause of the shooting when filing a murder charge is a pretty big omission! Everyone knows GZ shot TM, that doesn't have to be determined, what has to be weighed is whether it was murder, and the 'struggle' she mentioned had significant evidence of it's nature that she pretended didn't even exist.
You're welcome to think Dershowitz and all who agree with him are nutty, but in the final analysis I think that fraudulent APC will stick out in the relief of hindsight and it will be apparent that had she submitted an honest affidavit the process would have been aborted at that point--like it ought to have been--because she couldn't support her murder charge and had to cheat outrageously on the APC to even get a trial. That's part of the reason that step of due process exists, even if in the vast majority of the cases it's a mere formality.
I don't think anyone would believe she didn't look at the pictorial evidence before submitting the affidavit, (especially after 'determining' the Grand Jury was unnecessary!) and if she tried to advance that 'defense' and scapegoat the officers who signed it for not 'bringing it to her attention' she'd be in worse trouble for trying to. You're welcome to disagree.![]()
Your link from the earlier post didn't say what you claimed it said.Who ever said teen gangbangers had any money? I am just saying he had alot of the trappings of those who call themselves gangbangers. I guess the argument against it would be that he wasnt carrying a gun.
I was actually wondering if Zimmerman is a dishonest person who assaults police officers, and a quick Google search reveals that he is.